Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Name my Tarantula for me!!!!!!!!!

• 04-12-2002 11:44pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Copying this from someone elses idea(Name my Brothers dog)but what the hell I cant come up with a good name.If any one wants to see a picture of one exactly like my one as it is now look here:

http://arachnopets.com/tarantulas/tcaresheets/gpulchrac.htm

(Ill post a
    pic of mine tomorrow--Batteries ran out on the camera)Btw the one in that pic is slightly smaller than my one.
    One more thing it has to be a unisex name cos I cant sex it for a year or so and I wouldnt want to give it some sort of complex!!!!!!

Richie

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

How much did that thing set yea back?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Cost was roughly €70 including heat mat,bedding for the spider and enough crickets to last a couple of weeks.
    I already had the tank(An old aquarium)but I did have to make a lockable lid for it as spiders can apparently escape from hinged lids.
    Richie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

basil

lord voldemort

fluffy or cuddles

david beckham

(now im just gettin stupid arent i)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Occy?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Originally posted by thedrowner
    basil

lord voldemort

fluffy or cuddles

david beckham

(now im just gettin stupid arent i)

Most Definately!!!!!!!

Quite like fluffy though!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

how about pooky, after garfield's teddy

come on, i think david beckham is a great name for a tarrantula!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

you're mad yuk!

Timmmmmih

or

bambam or pebbles (flintstones)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭SHAMAN

Esmerelda, Ruby, Spidy?
    Ppl might be thinking I'm presuming it's a girl, and they'd be right. If it's not a female, it'll only last a few years. Males have quite short life spans (5 years approx, whereas females: 25). Depending on species of course. Is it defanged? It's an illegal export, if not. They had a bit of trouble with exotic animals recently.

Originally posted by SHAMAN
    Esmerelda, Ruby, Spidy?
    Ppl might be thinking I'm presuming it's a girl, and they'd be right. If it's not a female, it'll only last a few years. Males have quite short life spans (5 years approx, whereas females: 25). Depending on species of course. Is it defanged? It's an illegal export, if not. They had a bit of trouble with exotic animals recently.

Sorry Shaman "de-fanging" a tarantula is a myth.How would the thing eat its natural food??????????And its captive bred so I havent a clue what you`re talking about---Illegal export????
    The only species as far as I know which is Cites protected is the Mexican Redknee due to the fact that Americans were collecting them for pets while they were on holidays in Mexico.As for venom no-one has ever been killed by a Tarantula.
    Richie

Very slack with the naming thing!!!!!!
    Maybe Ill post this on the Metal board.

Im sure that some of those nice Death metal people will find a nice evil name for me!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Fish

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

How about Fang?

Arachnia

er... 8 legged freak!

Fang is good!!!
    So so far its Fang or Fluffy.Ill try and post a pic tonight!!!Maybe get a few more when people see it.

My daughter wants to call it Alice!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Please post a link to the pic only. I'm an arachnophobe and I'd rather not see a filthy tarantula on my screen! Seriously. Please don't, and if anyone else does, when I recover, I'll hunt you down and fúck you up.

I'm serious.

As for the name, why not "Satan?"
    Or else "Shcaramanga" - when you introduce it to people, say it with a Sean Connery accent. That'd be great! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Um, it's a thread about tarantulas... :rolleyes:

How about:

Lemmy

Mother Shabooboo

El Spidero Fantastico

Destructor

Jane Doe

hehe how about "Dr. Loon Eater"?

Maybe some Lord of the rings names like eh "Shelob" the giant spider you will see in the next movie!
    Or after the Dark Lord Sauron or his predecessor Morgoth or Melkor

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Richie are you mad ? Could that thing bite you ? Feckin hell lad...

I think we would all be interested in the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Guybrush

Fizzgig

Wendell

Wurzel

Beelzebub

Victoria Beckham

Tim the Tarantula

Originally posted by daveg
    Richie are you mad ? Could that thing bite you ? Feckin hell lad...

They dont bite often and if they do they either have had their poison removed or its only like a very bad bee sting.. Unless you are a small child you wil not die from a Tarantula bite... its just the movies that portray deadly Trarantulas

Originally posted by Saruman
    They dont bite often and if they do they either have had their poison removed or its only like a very bad bee sting.. Unless you are a small child you wil not die from a Tarantula bite... its just the movies that portray deadly Trarantulas

The bite is supposedly like a bee sting although sometimes extremely severe.For example if bit on the hand you can go numb up to the elbow for a day or so.
    The asian/african ones can cause a coma but even then they cant kill you unless you are sensitive to the poison.Even small children are very unlikely to die from a Tarantula bite.
    As for removing the poison this is another MYTH.Its like the previous post about removing the fangs.It could not eat properly if it had no poison.Would be like someone removing your jaw and or stomach/intestine etc.
    Its not really a poison anyway its more like a digestive juice which breaks down the food and enables the spider to eat.The reason we call it poison is because we are used to hearing of people dying from spider bites wheras what it is really doing is breaking down the body from the inside as if we were its natural food!!!!!
    Heres a link on the effects of spider bites:

http://www.bighairyspiders.com/bites.shtml

Enjoy!!!!!!!!!
    ;);););)

• Advertisement

That's interesting. Is that the same as snakes then? I know people milk snakes of their venom but is the venom used for digesting like the spiders?

I just had a thought - Spiderman doesn't have any venom.. hmmm

Not 100% sure about snakes but AFAIK the snakes venom is used to stun/kill prey before it eats it-not a digestive fluid.The only snakes which are "milked"are poisonous ones which in turn is used to make anti-venom.And since most people keep non-poisonous snakes as pets there should be no reason to "milk" your pet snake.

It's kind of a gruesome thought then if you are bitten by a spider it means that you are being eaten from the inside! (or attempted eaten)

Richie - and whats the story is this spider "tame" if such a thing is possible.
    They dont bite often

Lol well thats reassuring !!! what once a day or so ?

The species which I got is supposedly one of the most "Docile" species you can get.This basically means that it wont readily attack unless provoked and then it may not attack at all ie.If you stick your hand in to change water or food you are not going to pull your hand out with this thing attached to it!!!!!Generally will only bite if cornered.There first line of defence are "itching|" hairs which it will try to get into its attackers eyes.It does this by rubbing its back legs off its underbelly sending showers off these hair at its attacker.
    Some other species are vicious.Will basically attack anything that moves in its cage whether that be hand,arm cricket or whatever.
    These are generally Asian and African species and one or two of the South American species.
    The rule is that is you touch the back of the Tarantula and if it either turns around quickly to face your hand or stands up on its back 4 legs then it is vicious.If it flattens itself to the ground or runs away and hides then its generally calm enough.Obviously this method cant be tried with the more agressive species..(Someone probably found that out the hard way already!!!!!!)

TBH their just not my cup of tea. I hate spiders (dont have a phobia but not far off). I'd be like your man in home alone where the kid puts the tarantila on his face. Tiss a cool pet though. Especially if the Jehovah witnesses call ;)

Tiss a cool pet though. Especially if the Jehovah witnesses call

tee hee hee... I like it!! You could always keep some killer bees and then throw the nest at them.. that would also work!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

sorry but the search is over

gummy the Tarantula

has to be...

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Peter Parker!

DeV.

• Advertisement

It would be "gummy" if some of the posters had their way with removing the fangs,venom.
    Any one for """legless"""??????Ill start pulling them off now!!!!!!

Advertisement