Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Youtube Constant buffering

• 30-05-2012 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

I`m with UPC 30mb package and I just get constant buffering on Youtube videos its driving me crazy. I`m in the Kildare area is anyone else having this problem. I ran some speed checks and everything is fine no problems there. I would also like to know if anyone knows how to force youtube videos to play in 480p without switching to 720p in full screen which causes it to buffer again. Thanks for reading this and any comments you leave.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Terrynova3y2

I'm in Dublin and I've been getting the same problem for the past couple of weeks myself. Speed Test is saying I'm getting my full speeds yet I'm struggling to buffer videos in 240p. I've a friend who is also with UPC in Tallaght who's getting the same problem as well. I really hope UPC aren't throttling...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭Big Lar

Did ye try using a different Web browser ?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Terrynova3y2

Tried the big 3 and same result. I've no problem loading HD videos on Vimeo or any other sites, it's just YouTube.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭kaahooters

youtube changed there streaming algorithm to save bandwith, lots of complaints about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

This is rumour mill only: Youtube is throttled unless you create an account. Not the ISP's fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭baddebt

Dum_Dum wrote: »
    This is rumour mill only: Youtube is throttled unless you create an account. Not the ISP's fault.

i have a youtube account and its still buffering (doing tits in at this stage) i'm trying to learn some online tutorials regarding DJing and music production

some adult websites seem to be same

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Chrome canary is a bitch for screwing up streaming sites such as Youtube. I went back to Chrome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

While on the subject of YT (its a bit hit and miss for me) whats that yellow marker for, just near the start of every time line?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭cadaliac

mike65 wrote: »
    While on the subject of YT (its a bit hit and miss for me) whats that yellow marker for, just near the start of every time line?
    Is that the start of an advertisement time? Usually a small advertisement (clear rectangle window) will pop up and you can just x it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭livEwirE

mike65 wrote: »

It indicates when the advertisements start :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

No problems with YT at all here in Clondalkin on UPC 50mb.I use Google DNS instead of UPC's one if that makes any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭N64

Its not your internet connection/set up. Its youtubes servers. There have been a couple of threads asking the same question before.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Hi folks

In relation to You Tube what version of Adobe Flash Player are you using? It seems the earlier versions cause buffering on a 1080P video.

So may I suggest that to update the version of Flash Player to the latest (11.3.300.252 plus the latest version of Shockwave from adobe.com) and try running a 720P or 1080P video on You Tube and see what happens. It has worked for me as a result and I am on a 30Mb package (Digiweb)

Cunnijo

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭baddebt

having issues downloading Adobe flash 11, :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭cunnijo

baddebt

I presume you are trying to download from this link
    http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

If you are do it using IE first then Firefox etc. If successful set it to automatically download/install and that should be it. But also check your firewall settings as it too can cause problems depending on firewall type used.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Deadgirl82

I've been having some serious bother in trying to get Chrome to actually play youtube videos, rather than play a second, and then go into a constant state of eternal buffering...
    This is actually ENRAGING me now!

There is nothing wrong with my connection, laptop, EVERYTHING is 100% as it should be, except for the fact that youtube plays for maybe a second, then can take up HOURS to feel ready enough to play the rest... IF it plays at all!

I have cleared out the cache, I have also disabled one of the flash players as it was causing problems-I've done everything I possibly could have, and it's still acting like a right c**t!

Could someone, ANYONE, please please PLEASE help me with this???
    I love Chrome, but if it is causing this, then its gotta go im afraid...

Many thanks x

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

This was about 6 months ago but after I did a reformat I noticed the Youtube problems you're describing. So I downloaded every update/driver/codec/flash/java I could think of but it was still cripplingly slow and unusable on Youtube in FF/Chrome/IE but blinding fast everywhere else on the landlords new UPC connection.

Then I noticed the ads before the videos were streaming instantly and perfectly and I remembered I hadn't reinstalled Adblock after I wiped the pc, so I installed Adblock in Firefox and rebooted and it got rid of the video ads at the start of the video and the pop-up text ads a few minutes into each video but most importantly Youtube was back to perfect instant streaming, worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Deadgirl82

No-I dont have adblock or anything like that, and my laptop is completely up to date... This is pissing me off SO MUCH now... Is there even a way I could go to google & complain??

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Try Adblock and see if it makes a difference is what Im saying.

Not a hope of contacting Google, most likely the problem is on your end anyway or Twitter would be screaming about it if it was widespread. Is it just Chrome? Try Firefox and Internet Explorer If thats the case that its only Chrome uninstall it, reboot and reinstall. Try installing this Chrome extension and see if it makes a difference to the buffering, tell it to auto-change to 480p or 720p, Ive noticed weird buffering issues at 360p myself:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/smartvideo-for-youtube/lnkdbjbjpnpjeciipoaflmpcddinpjjp

If its a problem in all browsers contact your ISPs customer service and tell them your connection is really slow.

Do you have a router in the house or modem that you could unplug for 30 seconds and then try it again? That should be the first thing you try.

Advertisement