Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you still listen to Newstalk Breakfast after Ivan Yates

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭telekon

I quite like Chris (despite some of his diction problems) but since Ivan left he has turned into some sort of uncontrollable kid that is spouting opinions left, right and centre.

This attempt at himself and Coleman being all pally pally, laughing, mocking and joking on a relentless basis is quite hard to listen to first thing in the morning.

Chris is calling shane a 'granny' at the moment as shane thinks the springsteen gig was right to finish at 11... typical of the type of guff we come to expect these days.

They should just go the whole hog and get Chris a soundboard with loads of 'wacky' sounds for those crazy comedy moments during the show ala those two guys that do the radio show on the Simpsons...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You beat me to it, just awful stuff this morning. Nothing quite as toe-curling than listening to two fellas sounding like giddy schoolgirls as they "banter".

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭qwert2

I listen to my ipod, always have, always will

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Irishoz

COD just doesn't have the personality to front the show. He would be better on a pure current affairs show than a light entertainment show like breakfast. They need someone with a strong personality to grab the show and make it their own. Shane Coleman isn't a presenter, he's more of a contributor. Alright in segments but not presenting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

Does any one else notice the amount of times they give a namecheck?? They must at least mention their names twenty times a day...............like we get it already sean

• Advertisement

"...and welcome to newstalk, we have a lot to get through this morning..."

No WE don't Chris, you do because that's your job. The word 'we' insinuates that I might stick with you for the entire show but its very tough when you say stuff like the above EVERY morning.

Just tell us the damn news while I decide whether to turn over to Morning Ireland or not...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Irishoz wrote: »
    COD just doesn't have the personality to front the show. He would be better on a pure current affairs show than a light entertainment show like breakfast. They need someone with a strong personality to grab the show and make it their own. Shane Coleman isn't a presenter, he's more of a contributor. Alright in segments but not presenting.

I thought Breakfast is supposed to be current affairs though as opposed to light entertainment. I know its hard to tell these days, but I think that's what they try to pass it off as being.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Used to love listening to it on the way to college in the morning, it's not the same since Ivan left, towards the end of the year I found myself switching to a podcast more often than not, couldn't stick the droll, boring duo. Hope they have found a replacement by september!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,427 ✭✭✭Heroditas

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    Used to love listening to it on the way to college in the morning, it's not the same since Ivan left, towards the end of the year I found myself switching to a podcast more often than not, couldn't stick the droll, boring duo. Hope they have found a replacement by september!

If they wait a bit longer, they'll be able to get Ivan back! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Postit

Her accent's a lot less irritating than Ian Guider's with his appalling diction and selection of speech impediments!!!

+1 Someone should pull him and that spa Alan Hughes from TV3 aside and tell them that in words beginning with 'Th', the 'h' is not silent.

If I hear either of them say "Trout Tursday" instead of Throughout Thursday one more time!!!!!! Jesus....get it together ffs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

Shane Coleman is just a 'hack'. He went very easy on Denis O'Brien after the Moriarty Tribunal, no wonder he got the gig. Chris Donoghue would make an excellent children's TV presenter.

9959 wrote: »
    Shane Coleman is just a 'hack'. He went very easy on Denis O'Brien after the Moriarty Tribunal, no wonder he got the gig. Chris Donoghue would make an excellent children's TV presenter.

But children's TV presenters tend to annunciate properly...

I dipped into it yesterday and heard Norah Casey on. It's obvious they are lining her up for a permanent slot and are just running her through the a trial right now. She has a real personality, which is a plus on Breakfast. She also speaks very well and given her performance on the Fiscal Treaty debate it is obvious she is informed. I like her. Herself and Chris seem to be on an even playing field, so no Ivan-esq talking down to little Chris. However I still dunno about Chris. He is full of political knowledge and obviously loves what he does, but you has got to be able to make people warm to you in a presenters chair on a big show like that. I really think he should stick to pure news. As for Coleman...bye bye!

Agree on Nora Casey, she gives the show some much needed gravitas. Don't agree that Coleman should be replaced rather than the over exuberant Donoghue. What about replacing both of them. Nora and Ivan! Hardley a dream team but a huge improvement on the 'smug brothers'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

no

I barely listen now...

Agree on Nora Casey, she gives the show some much needed gravitas. Don't agree that Coleman should be replaced rather than the over exuberant Donoghue. What about replacing both of them. Nora and Ivan! Hardley a dream team but a huge improvement on the 'smug brothers'.

Replacing them both would give the show a new feel...one that it could probably do with. I think they are on to a winner with Norah. As for the two boys, for me Coleman is a defo no-no. As for Chris, I could live without him too very easily!

Chris mans the Studio with the gravitas of an Intern junior field reporter eagerly seeking to be hired

my friend wrote: »
    Chris mans the Studio with the gravitas of an Intern junior field reporter eagerly seeking to be hired

Would you like a saucer of milk with that comment???

When are the next JNLR results due to be released?

Irishoz wrote: »
    Would you like a saucer of milk with that comment???

'good morning Sir, nice to talk with you' (c)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Agree on Nora Casey, she gives the show some much needed gravitas.

Yeah, fawning and drooling over Chris Patterson Robert Pattinson like a teenage for what seemed like an age this morning really brought this across.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,017 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

A lot of odd posts on here today

rather think of it as a lot of posts drawing attention to the oddities...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Yeah, fawning and drooling over Chris Patterson like a teenage for what seemed like an age this morning really brought this across.

Didn't know she was into Scottish Rugby players:D

On another note Chris needs to go, too many annoying traits for one presenter,
    "we will have your papers for you at 7.40" "good to talk to you sir" "sattiday"
    just some of those said annoying traits!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

JM Skipton wrote: »
    Didn't know she was into Scottish Rugby players:D

You see, as a potential listener I have more interest in rugby than some bloody teen idol :p

More annoying traits of Chris Donoghue.
    1. A tendency to use the second-person plural 'ye', nothing wrong with this per se but from a Dubliner it's fraudulent.
    2. When there's a Minister on the show you'll know it, count the times Chris utters the word 'Minister' in an obsequious manner, possibly in the belief that it gives the show more import.
    3. When 'handing over' to a news reader he quickly inserts a 'good morning (first name)' which then has to be reciprocated, irritating enough on CBS News but on Irish radio, no thanks.
    By the way, I believe he's going on holidays tomorrow. A good opportunity to call the locksmith. Good morning Chris!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭robbe

Nothing as odd as another vote for listening to this show more....maybe Nora voted or something - flick it on these days and almost have to scramble to get it off when something cringeworthy is said (which is quite a lot if the time) a la that moonlaunch episode in the Simpsons......

I find myself screaming at the radio beseeching Chris to ask the question rather than ask, ask in another way, the ask the same thing again - drives me up the wall!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Liked the show a lot with Chris and Ivan...

Dull as dishwater with Shane Coleman..

And I caught the repeat of the show the other night and he's presenting it with his mother now... very uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

Ive given up listening to the post 9am portion of the show . It used to be my favourite , as thats where yates usually seemed to let rip, apart from his , immediatly after 7am rip . But the choice these days is horrendous, especially at a time when there is so much material out there . Anyone ever listen to Jeremy Vine on BBC radio 2?class act and takes no crap , not unlike yates . In the meantime i cant hack that asshole John Murray on rte, so its from 9am, its 4FM and classic song investigations im afraid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭bedirect

bring back Ivan Yates, he was very good, i enjoyed his banter with other presenters and he spoke the truth. His replacement if fine, but Yates was funny and could take some slagging

Advertisement