Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Festina lente

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

RayCun wrote: »
    Same as when you asked me on Monday :pac:

It's been a long week, and now you know why I'm Mr Slow!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

8.63 km in 57 (6.36 pace)

Stiff and slow recovery run back into work

kmtd: 58.46

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

No chance of me being able to run today after last night combined with Tuesday night's exertions.
    At a wedding tomorrow so not sure when I'll be able to get my "long" 10-12km run in.... I do need to up the mileage a bit if I'm going to get around the 10 and Half without too much pain

Yeah, you'll need to start making time on the weekend for some long(ish) slow runs

Yeah, you'll need to start making time on the weekend for some long(ish) slow runs

Plan will be to go 14km, 16km, 18km, 14km, 10mile race, 18km, 20km, 21km, 18km, Half Marathon or something like that after the 5 mile. Not sure where the time is going to come from though- also body may not be able for the increase in distance. There will need to be a lot of slow running!

• Advertisement

You could find it much easier to run slowly - it puts less stress on the legs than the faster stuff.

You could find it much easier to run slowly - it puts less stress on the legs than the faster stuff.

Join up for some of the group runs, having a group around you makes the miles fly by.

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Join up for some of the group runs, having a group around you makes the miles fly by.

Maybe
    Can be tough to commit to a time with little ones at home
    Not certain what my pace will be..... could be very slow!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

W.B. Yeats wrote: »
    Maybe

I'm heading over tomorrow for the 9am group run in the park, I'd be happy to give you a lift over.
    I hear you though about fitting runs in around family life. It isn't easy, especially for you with a newborn!!

jcsmum wrote: »
    I'm heading over tomorrow for the 9am group run in the park, I'd be happy to give you a lift over.
    I hear you though about fitting runs in around family life. It isn't easy, especially for you with a newborn!!

Thanks for the offer but we are off to a wedding tomorrow so first night off in the past 3 months!
    I'll have to fit the long run in either v early tomorrow morning in the midlands or with a hungover head on Sunday morning or later on Sunday evening when we get back. Option 1 is probably best.

• Advertisement

W.B. Yeats wrote: »
    Maybe

There should be people for all paces as we get closer to DCM, I have two little monsters at home but am up and out every Sat or Sun morning for a few hours.

There should be people for all paces as we get closer to DCM, I have two little monsters at home but am up and out every Sat or Sun morning for a few hours.

If I got a clear injury free run at it I'd target 1.45 for the half or if all went fantastically 1.40. There are probably plenty around targetting those times.
    I usually do early duty on Sat mornings so can't get out til slightly later. By that stage sometimes it's much harder to get going as there are 101 reasons to be doing something else, the rain has arrived etc etc.

22.27 km in 124.34 (5.36 average)

Not very successful PMP run. 4.5k up to the park at around 6.00 pace. Stopped a couple of times to stretch, which I didn't mind because it was still in the warmup.
    Started the PMP kms with a run up the Kyber, then around the 5 mile route to Chesterfield, down the main road past the zoo and then back up the other side. First couple of kms were a bit slow, 5.10 and 5,15, but coming down Chesterfield I felt I was beginning to get into my stride, pace was 5.02-5.04, but as I came back up the other side it was like I hit a wall - didn't just slow down, I completely stopped. Stretched and started again, but much slower, around 5.25 for the rest of the 'PMP' section, and stopped again halfway through that for a bottle of water from the shop.
    The slower kms home were also slower than planned, around 6.20 pace. Was fighting the urge to stop all the time - if it wasn't the only way to get home I would have :rolleyes:

So, plan is out the window this week, I'm just going to rest up.

kmtd: 80.73

So, plan is out the window this week, I'm just going to rest up.

Feck it, I have increased the distance a fair amount this week, I'm bound to feel some effects. Will do a 16k home on Tuesday and a recovery run back in Wednesday, take Thursday and Friday as rest...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Not very successful PMP run. 4.5k up to the park at around 6.00 pace. Stopped a couple of times to stretch, which I didn't mind because it was still in the warmup.
    Started the PMP kms with a run up the Kyber, then around the 5 mile route to Chesterfield, down the main road past the zoo and then back up the other side. First couple of kms were a bit slow, 5.10 and 5,15, but coming down Chesterfield I felt I was beginning to get into my stride, pace was 5.02-5.04, but as I came back up the other side it was like I hit a wall - didn't just slow down, I completely stopped. Stretched and started again, but much slower, around 5.25 for the rest of the 'PMP' section, and stopped again halfway through that for a bottle of water from the shop.
    The slower kms home were also slower than planned, around 6.20 pace. Was fighting the urge to stop all the time - if it wasn't the only way to get home I would have :rolleyes:

Ray - By any chance did you put too much effort into the start up the Kyber? Also, the feel good section on Chesterfield Ave is a gradual but steady decline whereas from the turn and back up to Ashtown exit is all a steady and slight uphill so maybe your mind was playing tricks on your body??
    Sure just write it off as one of those days and anyways the pace wasn't that bad!

belcarra wrote: »
    Ray - By any chance did you put too much effort into the start up the Kyber? Also, the feel good section on Chesterfield Ave is a gradual but steady decline whereas from the turn and back up to Ashtown exit is all a steady and slight uphill so maybe your mind was playing tricks on your body??
    Sure just write it off as one of those days and anyways the pace wasn't that bad!

I arrive at the park at the bottom of the Kyber, so my choice is to run up one of Wellington, Kyber, or Military roads to get started :) But I don't think that km did any damage really, I felt about the same at the top as at the bottom.
    So you're telling me that the time when I felt I was running okay it was because I was going downhill? That doesn't help :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Hi RayCun;

That park is a tough place for PMP's especially around the back on Kyber and Wellington, and as Meno keeps saying there is a good drag on chesterfield avenue towards Castleknock.

I struggled a bit on Sat doing my PMP also. Wouldnt worry too much about it, if it doesnt kill us it will make us stronger for October!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

And doing PMP on your own is quite tough aswell, much easier in a group. We'll have to get a Sunday LSR group sorted, I'm not doing LSR's with the club and will be doing mine on Sunday's aswell, a few of us would have similar PMP pace(if I start marathon training that is, but I can train without knowing whether I'm doing it or not!)

I will see if i can switch my PMP week to Sundays but I aint too sure. I see if i can switch the little one swimming to Sat morning for that week.

[FONT=verdana,geneva,lucida,'lucida grande',arial,helvetica,sans-serif]16[/FONT].23 km in 92.51 (5.43 average)

GA run home from work. Easier than last week's run, though it was pretty warm out there. That's over 60k in the last week, more than I've done in a while.

kmtd: 96.96

• Advertisement

And doing PMP on your own is quite tough aswell, much easier in a group. We'll have to get a Sunday LSR group sorted, I'm not doing LSR's with the club and will be doing mine on Sunday's aswell, a few of us would have similar PMP pace(if I start marathon training that is, but I can train without knowing whether I'm doing it or not!)

It would involve getting up before noon though, can you handle that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

She feckin has us all getting up for a 10am run this sunday for her and she'll probably be still in bed herself :P

about 8k

Recovery run back into work. Garmin took ages to find a satellite this morning, so long that I gave up and started running, and it was another 5 minutes before it started tracking pace.

kmtd: 104.96

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

It is very easy to get sucked into believing that your long run HAS to be at PMP and if its not , its a disaster , or you are going backwards...The most important factor in the long weekend run , is time on the feet ...it really does not matter too much ,how far you are off what you perceive to be your marathon planned pace. To be honest , planning a pace for a marathon can quite easily go out the window as soon as you start a marathon and sometimes before you even start ( weather , you pick up a cold etc ) ...its far better to go with a broader plan like aiming to run as well as you can ...or to enjoy the event, or maybe to relax and take it all in...the focus on pace and time is so detrimental if you keep missing a target ...the same can be said when you are training ...we all have to accept that some days in training we feel like sh1t... it happens a fair bit when training for a marathon because of the nature of the sessions and the level of mileage ...but its the mental strength that you gain from coping with these days and parking them in the back of the mind , that should stand you in good stead on the big day...I always find a great thing to do on occasions is to run without the watch or Garmin , just get out and run for the sake of it and listen to the body telling you how you are doing rather than a thing on your arm that has no feeling ...try it , its very refreshing to do it , also a great way to run a race ....

the only other nugget I can offer Ray , is that staying positive at all times is a must ...always look for some nugget of positivity in every session because there is always one

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Not necessarily, I could organise 6pm group runs. Plus, pay special attention to the start time HERE. :P
    menoscemo wrote: »
    She feckin has us all getting up for a 10am run this sunday for her and she'll probably be still in bed herself :P

I've told you yee can all go out at 12 if you like. :pac:

I apologise for Mrs Low and meno hijacking your log Ray.

I apologise for Mrs Low and meno hijacking your log Ray.

Once you start apologising for those two, where do you stop? :eek:

PVincent wrote: »
    It is very easy to get sucked into believing that your long run HAS to be at PMP and if its not , its a disaster , or you are going backwards...The most important factor in the long weekend run , is time on the feet ...it really does not matter too much ,how far you are off what you perceive to be your marathon planned pace. To be honest , planning a pace for a marathon can quite easily go out the window as soon as you start a marathon and sometimes before you even start ( weather , you pick up a cold etc ) ...its far better to go with a broader plan like aiming to run as well as you can ...or to enjoy the event, or maybe to relax and take it all in...the focus on pace and time is so detrimental if you keep missing a target ...the same can be said when you are training ...we all have to accept that some days in training we feel like sh1t... it happens a fair bit when training for a marathon because of the nature of the sessions and the level of mileage ...but its the mental strength that you gain from coping with these days and parking them in the back of the mind , that should stand you in good stead on the big day...I always find a great thing to do on occasions is to run without the watch or Garmin , just get out and run for the sake of it and listen to the body telling you how you are doing rather than a thing on your arm that has no feeling ...try it , its very refreshing to do it , also a great way to run a race ....

the only other nugget I can offer Ray , is that staying positive at all times is a must ...always look for some nugget of positivity in every session because there is always one

Thats a real good post. Makes me feel better already:D

Thats a real good post. Makes me feel better already:D

you need to start coming along to Knocklyon Runners training sessions so :pac:

Not necessarily, I could organise 6pm group runs. Plus, pay special attention to the start time HERE. :P

Congratulations on not turning into a pillar of salt! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭geld

PVincent wrote: »

Methinks that Mr Vincent speaks a lot of sense here!

Advertisement