Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you are pregnant , don't bother with MY school

• 30-04-2012 7:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

A report of a school not allowing a girl to enrol because she is pregnant has come to light.

"We do not take single young girls who are mothers. This is not a suitable school for such "

"This school is NOT a haven for young pregnant people or for young mothers"

This is a STATE funded school , all be it run by what seems to be a very single minded person.

http://www.oco.ie/assets/files/Complaint/OCOInvestigationretheactionsofSchoolA.pdf

IMO , such a person should not be running a school , really this has no place in a modern country , if we read about this in the Daily Fail in Afghanistan we would all be tutting over our cappucinos wouldn't we !!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

school kids shouldnt really be getting pregnant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Old Tom

Davidth88 wrote: »
    "We do not take single young girls who are mothers. This is not a suitable school for such "
    They don't like it - they don't take her. It's freedom and democracy.
    Whoever likes taking single mothers - open your own school and go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

"Rabble rabble, should of closed your f***in legs love! rabble rabble etc"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Wasn't there a legal case a while back concerning a gay teacher who couldn't get a job in a catholic school because homosexuality didn't tie in with the ethos of the school. Teacher sued and lost afaik.

The school could probably argue the same point here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Won't somebody think of the children?

If the other kids see her pregnant then they might want that too and then they guys would get some

hoorah!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Old Tom wrote: »

You spelled 'discrimination' wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

So guys , what should we do with this girl , send her off to the laundry ?

Great idea !!

The thing here , this is not a privately funded school , this is funded by US the tax payer.

Davidth88 wrote: »
    So guys , what should we do with this girl , send her of to the laundry ?

Great idea !!

The thing here , this is not a privately funded school , this is funded by US the tax payer.
    Ahhhh execute her then

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Was reported yesterday in the Journal.ie.
    I didn't post it because I thought someone else might have already: http://www.thejournal.ie/not-a-dumping-ground-pregnant-girl-turned-away-from-school-433812-Apr2012/
    THE OMBUDSMAN FOR Children Emily Logan has recommended that a school which refused entry to a pregnant girl apologise for the way she was treated.
    The mixed Catholic ethos school in Munster was subject to an investigation by Emily Logan, after the girl and her mother filed a complaint to the ombudsman’s office, reports the Sunday Times....

Article continues...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I would agree if it weren't a state funded school

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Old Tom

Yeah, yeah, yeah, homophobia, discrimination, racism and all that bull...

:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

No no, just regular aul discrimination in this instance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

You making a ToDo list?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,100 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

luckyfrank wrote: »

Agreed. But they still need to be educated.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Sierra 117

They should have let her attend. She's entitled to an education, regardless of whether she is pregnant or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

That is true, but when has being pregnant ever affected anyones mental capacity?

Sierra 117 wrote: »
    They should have let her attend. She's entitled to an education, regardless of whether she is pregnant or not.
    no sleep and studies woudnt work, she made a mistake having a kid that young, i back the school

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Stop discriminating against people who cant spell proper and stuff. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I hope they name and shame the school. I was a teenage parent 15 years ago and never had to deal with any crap like this. I would have thought those attitudes were long gone.

I don't get it, okay so its a "sin" to have sex outside marriage, its not a sin to have a baby though, the sin is in having sex so in theory anyone in that school who is sexually active should be booted out.

And nowhere does it say in the bible or is it preached by the church that people who commit sin should be treated like outcasts.

She is entitled to an education. People give out about single parents claiming benefits and here is a girl who wants to get on in life being told NO. Beggars believe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

Young pregnant girls are a dangerous.It is a well known but little published fact that pregnancy can be contagious. School ethos' up & down the country have been decimated by appalling & apparently uncontrollable outbreaks of pregnancy epidemics.

This is a situation up with which no self-respecting schoolmaster can put.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

FoxT wrote: »
    Young pregnant girls are a dangerous.It is a well known but little published fact that pregnancy can be contagious. School ethos' up & down the country have been decimated by appalling & apparently uncontrollable outbreaks of pregnancy epidemics.

She has had the baby, she is no longer pregnant, she looks no different to any other student.

Do you think she should be left on the scrap heap now because she made a mistake?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,350 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Pherekydes wrote: »

Bit late now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I do love how this Catholic school judges this girl so harshly, all while claiming to follow teachings like "let he who is without sin cast the first stone", "judge not lest ye be judged" and so on.

Really shows the hypocrisy that many very religious folk have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

When I was in school, there were two or three who had babies.. One girl was massively pregnant during the last few weeks of sixth year, and did her LC with everyone else two weeks after having her kid..

She also went to college and now she has a job as a medical secretary..
    If our school had thrown her out I wonder where she'd be... That school should definitely be named and shamed..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Kolido wrote: »
    Pherekydes wrote: »

Bit late now.
    I know people who have completed school and a degree after having children. It was difficult but they managed it. Individuals like yourself and a few other posters would be the same people who'd be complaining about people claiming social welfare but when a girl with a kid wants to continue her education there's an issue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭seanmc1980

i'd have to agree with the school here. there are plenty of schools that will take anybody. If i was a parent of a young teenage girl i wouldn't want a single teen mother telling everyone how much she get off gov, free house etc... she could potentially glamourise her situation to other pupil. fair play to the school for putting the mass before the individual!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,100 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

FoxT wrote: »

He should get a vasectomy, then.

seanmc1980 wrote: »
    i'd have to agree with the school here. there are plenty of schools that will take anybody. If i was a parent of a young teenage girl i wouldn't want a single teen mother telling everyone how much she get off gov, free house etc... she could potentially glamourise her situation to other pupil. fair play to the school for putting the mass before the individual!
    good post

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

What's your point, he didn't actually correct your spelling, he was subtly asking you to stop talking s***e ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement