Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

transferring contacts from Iphone 3GS to HTC one X ?

• 10-07-2012 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

Hi, I can't believe it is so difficult to transfer contacts from one phone to another nowadays - sure we can see the weather on the other side of the planet and check share value live but why is it so difficult to transfer contacts from one phone to another ??? :mad:

Anyway enough renting... I'm looking to transfer all my contacts from my iphone 3GS (I think) to my new HTC one X. :confused:

I tried backing up data via itunes and found the folder but it didn't give me a cvs file I could import on google.

Any apps out there i could download on both phones to backup my contacts from the iphone then import them to my htc ?

any other way ?

thanks for any help as I'm really struggling on this one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭RootX

The way I did it was to sync my contacts with Gmail, via iTunes and then do the same with my android phone.

The following link may help: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1245

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Sync the iphone with gmail (add a gmail account), Then switch over the to HTC, add the same account and it will pull all the contacts back down.

Slaacer wrote: »
    Hi, I can't believe it is so difficult to transfer contacts from one phone to another nowadays - sure we can see the weather on the other side of the planet and check share value live but why is it so difficult to transfer contacts from one phone to another ??? :mad:

Anyway enough renting... I'm looking to transfer all my contacts from my iphone 3GS (I think) to my new HTC one X. :confused:

I tried backing up data via itunes and found the folder but it didn't give me a cvs file I could import on google.

Any apps out there i could download on both phones to backup my contacts from the iphone then import them to my htc ?

any other way ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭djdunny

theres an app on the One X called transfer. I used it last week to get my contacts from my 4s. Just start the app, pick your phone, make sure bluetooth is on in both, authorise on the iphone and the contacts should move over.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

any other way ?

It's actually incredibly simple. Gmail and your sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Slaacer

djdunny wrote: »
    theres an app on the One X called transfer. I used it last week to get my contacts from my 4s. Just start the app, pick your phone, make sure bluetooth is on in both, authorise on the iphone and the contacts should move over.

Thanks, I've tried this and the iphone found the one x alright but couldn't pair it with the one x. Tried several times and couldn't make it work. Talked to the guys in emobile who told me it was no going to work anyway due to apple propriatory system. Pity cos I liked the idea - was going to be too easy !

Did that actually worked for you ?

• Advertisement

RootX wrote: »
    The way I did it was to sync my contacts with Gmail, via iTunes and then do the same with my android phone.

The following link may help: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1245

thanks for this - tried this option but it didn't work - having said that I probably did something wrong somewhere or missed parts of the process so I'll check your link - hope it'll work - I'll u know, cheers

gpf101 wrote: »
    It's actually incredibly simple. Gmail and your sorted.

will try this with rootx link as it didn't work for me before but not sure I did it properly...

After syncing your iPhone contacts with Gmail, go to www.google.com/contacts/ and confirm your contacts are listed there.
    If they're not, something might have gone wrong with the iPhone to Gmail sync.

After syncing your iPhone contacts with Gmail, go to www.google.com/contacts/ and confirm your contacts are listed there.
    If they're not, something might have gone wrong with the iPhone to Gmail sync.

This is sooooo bloody frustrating :mad::mad::mad: itune keeps on prompting my for my google ID and password. Just to be sure my google ID is my gmail email account login ID right ? and the password I use to get in my gmail account ?

I can see how this would work but for some reason itune doesn't seem to take my ID and/or password despite trying several times. any idea why ?

Thank you so much Rootx for your help :):)

fyi I use itune v10.6.1.7 - I think this is the latest version. tried to update it and there is no update from this version. And I can get in my gmail account no problem using the same ID and password given in the pop-up box in itune.

• Advertisement

Just to be sure my google ID is my gmail email account login ID right ? and the password I use to get in my gmail account ?

That is correct, Google ID should be your gmail email address xxx@gmail.com and the password the one you use to access your gmail.

Have you enabled Google's two way authentication by any chance? in that case you many need to generate an application specific password.
    If you don't know what 2-way authentication is, then it's not enabled and forget I mentioned it :)

Another way to do it, but a bit messier, is Google's way: http://support.google.com/mobile/bin/answer.py?hl=en-GB&answer=138740

That is correct, Google ID should be your gmail email address xxx@gmail.com and the password the one you use to access your gmail.

Have you enabled Google's two way authentication by any chance? in that case you many need to generate an application specific password.
    If you don't know what 2-way authentication is, then it's not enabled and forget I mentioned it :)

Another way to do it, but a bit messier, is Google's way: http://support.google.com/mobile/bin/answer.py?hl=en-GB&answer=138740

Well not sure if this is called 2 way authentication but I recently increase the security level yes so that I have set it that it txt me a code to put in if I log in from any other pc than the one I set as my main PC - so that could be the issue alright ... I'll check the other way - Thx Rootx I appreciate your help as this is so frustrating - been at it for most of 2 days now.... (not all the time though ;))

I know that gmail accept cvs files to import contacts - is there a way to save the contacts from the iphone as a cvs file ?

Go to https://www.google.com/settings/security and check whether 2-step authentication is enabled or not.

If it's enabled, you'll encounter the same issue even if you try the other way.
    What you have to do in that case is to generate an application specific password and use that password for syncing, instead of your standard gmail password.

Instructions: https://support.google.com/accounts/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=185833&topic=1099586&ctx=topic

Another option would be to turn off 2-step auth, temporarily and re-enable it after the sync is complete.

Yes finally some result - you were spot on rootx I turned off temporarily the 2 way authentication and itune took my login.

so I sync the iphone with my gmail ac and they're all in my contacts in my gmail ac now - finally :-)

so now how do I get them on my htc ?

checking my htc some contacts are there in people but not all any reason or do I need to do something specific ?

actually - just checked again and it seems that all my contacts are there - it obviously needed some time to update maybe from the server.

THANK YOU SO MUCH ROOTX FOR YOUR HELP AND PATIENCE - UR A STAR :)

Np, glad it worked out ok ;)
    Enjoy your new phone!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Bohaty

Now we can use HTC Sync Manager

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Lin1880

Yep, bluetooth just worked for me ,thanks

Advertisement