Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Engine oil grade ACEA B1 API CF-4 or CF

• 10-11-2011 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭

Question about this grade oil

I have a Toyota Corolla 1.4 D-4D and on the book it says 5W30 ACEA B1, API CF-4 or CF You may also use API CE or CD

Now i was in halfords today and picked up a drums of there 5W30 oil at €20 for 4 liters.
    Without knowing all the ACEA details my question is i picked up 5W30 with ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4 API SL/CF so is this not good for my car and would i need to go back and change it for the ACEA B1 instead.

The oil says fully synthetic for vauxhall and opels for petrol and diesel.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,425 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

It'll be grand. No need to change it.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭jhud

Thanks just worried as in the book there is a warning for another engine type that if you use another type you can damage the cat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

OP, it does say on the halfords website that the oil in question (it is this, right?:http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_253905_langId_-1_categoryId_212419) is A1/B1 rated but the zoom image of the bottle of oil only shows A1. This implies it is only suitable for petrol engines.

To be fair, i have used it before without any ill effects (yet!!). I serviced my car recently with it and my mpg has dropped, although it may have more to do with the set of winter tyres i put on a few weeks ago. Next time i will make sure to get only a B1 to B5 rated oil.
    Here's a wiki type page on oil spec:http://wiki.seloc.org/a/Oil_Labelling_Explained

Thanks for the input i was thinking the same but the ford sign is not on the one i got and the A3/B4 is on it instead of A1 like in the picture. Thats why i am questioning the oil. Read somewhere that the B1 is for better fuel econ for diesel but he B4 is for performance.

Just looked at second link and yes its what i saw before.

Just got off the phone with halfords and they have numerous versions of the 5W30 and the ones on sale were the ford one and the vauxhall one that i got.

My car is the new shape 2007 toyota corolla 1.4 d-4d with the 1nd-TV engine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭richardsheil

It'd be a miracle if you got any sense when "on the phone to Halfords"

Better, in my view to research it yourself and buy from a local motor factor. Or even from Toyota.

Advertisement