Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most underrated album in a bands discography?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭outandabout

Speak Slowly by The Stars of Heaven is sometimes underrated.

It was their only full length album after the mini-album Sacred Heart Hotel and an EP Before Hollyhead.

Speak Slowly was panned with some critics saying it was over-produced but it has weathered well and in my opinion is a great album by a great band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Soundgarden "Down on the Upside" is pretty good IMO, but doesn't get the love.......

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Dibble

Blur's second album, Modern Life is Rubbish, is a belter and doesn't get the recognition it deserves.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Dibble wrote: »
    Blur's second album, Modern Life is Rubbish, is a belter and doesn't get the recognition it deserves.

hardly underrated though - many fans (me included) consider it their best.

"Think Tank" is underrated - after Coxon left it was considered a de-facto Albarn solo album, and it does have a lot in common with the sound he uses on Gorillaz, but its still pretty good. I hated it when it came out but its really grown on me since.

+1 on Think Thank. One of the better Blur albums...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

+2 on think tank. Awesome-ness. My favorite Blur album actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Speak Slowly by The Stars of Heaven is sometimes underrated.

It was their only full length album after the mini-album Sacred Heart Hotel and an EP Before Hollyhead.

Speak Slowly was panned with some critics saying it was over-produced but it has weathered well and in my opinion is a great album by a great band.

Great band, but all their stuff is under-rated.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭ValJester

Blood And Chocolate, Get Happy- Elvis Costello

Given how much love there is for his first 3 albums and Imperial Bedroom, it always surprises me how this pair are generally overlooked given the material on them is every bit as strong (every track on Get Happy could be a single).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

arctic monkeys - humbug
    kasabian - empire
    oasis - heathen chemistry
    rage against the machine - the battle of los angeles
    the streets - everything is borrowed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭shefellover93

Death Cab's Transatlanticism is one of my favourite albums and is often overlooked

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭AhSureTisGrand

Room on Fire by the Strokes is highly underrated. It's got a wonderful keyboardey guitar sound, and is much better than Is This It imo. It irks me when people call the Strokes a fluke or act as if their first album is all they've ever done.

Xtrmntr by Primal Scream is tragically overlooked. There's some amazing stuff on that album, but people refuse to look beyond either Screamadelica or the song "Rocks", if they've heard of Primal Scream at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭KeanSeenan

Room on Fire by the Strokes is highly underrated. It's got a wonderful keyboardey guitar sound, and is much better than Is This It imo. It irks me when people call the Strokes a fluke or act as if their first album is all they've ever done.

I agree, Automatic Stop is one of my favourite Strokes songs.
    Plus the guitar tone happened by accident.

KeanSeenan wrote: »
    I agree, Automatic Stop is one of my favourite Strokes songs.
    Plus the guitar tone happened by accident.

Oh really what happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Table Top Joe

Pablo Honey is in my top two Radiohead albums but no many seem to like it.

Im a huge Radiohead fan but i hate that album,lame,indie,schmindie ****e......imho:)

Except for "Creep".....but then thats not a big favourite of mine either

Nice to see some love for R.E.M's "Up" and "Reveal"! i love both of those albums,the only problem with "Up" i think is the combination of the length of it and the lack of variety,the songs themselves are great,i never listen to it in one go but the vast majority of it has been favourited on my Ipod,maybe all of it come to think of it,"Reveal" got great reviews at the time but only a year or two later it seems to have been seen as a failure,i put it up there with there very best,some albums arent as good as others but i dont think they've ever made a truly bad album,even "Around The Sun" which was a disapointment had some great stuff on it,"Leaving New York","Make It All Ok","The Ascent Of Man","High Speed Train".....thats off the top of my head,a brilliant band who've been around for far too long to be considered cool anymore,a weak R.E.M album will always have some gold on it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

Be Here Now by Oasis. Yes, some of the songs are much too long but it doesn't deserve the amount of criticism it gets and it has some great tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭manic mailman

Zero1986 wrote: »
    The most underrated album in The Smashing Pumpkins' discography has to be Machina II/The Friends & Enemies of Modern Music. It's certainly one of the best albums of their career and could even come close to Siamese Dream. It's a pity that the album was never properly released.

The most underrated album in Radiohead's discography is Hail To The Thief. There's such a great mixture of styles on the album, ranging from classic guitar-driven Radiohead to their more electronic stuff and it all fits together so nicely. And 'There There' is one of the best songs they ever recorded.
    #Dammit, someone always beats me to the punch, Hail to the Thief is my favorite Radiohead album, after In Rainbows......never ever hear people mention it but it's got some really beautifully put together tracks on it and as a whole album the pacing is perfect for me. There there, Wolf at the Door and 2+2=5 are my standouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭manic mailman

First Muse album 'Showbiz' is still the best thing they've done in my opinion.

+1. Although Absolution was damned close and OoS not far behind. The Resistance, although they did it themselves was a big let down.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Death Cab's Transatlanticism is one of my favourite albums and is often overlooked

Have to disagree with you there, all the death cab fans i know rate this album. And it is a very solid album, well liked by fans and critics and under rated is a word i'd never associate with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭allprops

On Rem, surely Life's Rich Pagent is one of the greatest albums of all time ........ I am, I am superman and I can do any thing.

That's before we get to the sublime brilliance and majesty of Begin the Begin, These Days, Swan Swan H and Fall on me!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,449 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Red Hot Chili Peppers - By the Way
    Very different to the rest of their albums. Much more mellow and introspective, but I think it has the best song writing, singing and guitar playing of any of their albums.

Led Zeppelin - Presence
    Fairly straight forward rock album by Zeppelin Standards, but it's got some of their best songs.

• Advertisement

First Muse album 'Showbiz' is still the best thing they've done in my opinion.

God I hate Showbiz :L it's like a rip-off of Radiohead when they were a Nirvana rip-off. Muse only found themselves on OoS

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭32_4_1

+4 on Think Tank

i came on here to say it and was surprised to see others mentioned it. an absolute masterpiece in my opinion, and their best album. the more time that passes, you notice the more critical acclaim blur receive and rightly so. a brilliant band which always evolved. if they released one more album album id be happy. i cant even begin to think what their new sound would be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

allprops wrote: »
    On Rem, surely Life's Rich Pagent is one of the greatest albums of all time ........ I am, I am superman and I can do any thing.

That's before we get to the sublime brilliance and majesty of Begin the Begin, These Days, Swan Swan H and Fall on me!!!!

Add Cuyahoga to that list, another great hidden gem from REMs early career.

+ another vote here for Blur's Think Tank, with the previous 2 albums they are for me the holy trinity of Blur albums, unlike the earlier Britpop stuff that got boring very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

God I hate Showbiz :L it's like a rip-off of Radiohead when they were a Nirvana rip-off. Muse only found themselves on OoS

That's not bad going though - taking until the 2nd album to find yourself and your sound.

Unfortunately Resistance is a bit pants and I hope doesn't mean they are on the continuing road to mediorcresville.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭32_4_1

im quite a big radiohead fan myself. but while on the subject of think tank, the minute it came out i couldnt help but think it was the album radiohead always wanted to make. the album they kept trying to evolve for, but never quite reached what they were looking for. just my opinion though

That's not bad going though - taking until the 2nd album to find yourself and your sound.

Unfortunately Resistance is a bit pants and I hope doesn't mean they are on the continuing road to mediorcresville.

I don't think Resistance deserves all the stick it gets. There's some awful stuff on it, but also some great music imo. Showbiz always seems a bit mediocre to me

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

After to listening to Oasis's 3rd album "be here now" in full this morning for the the first time in over 10 years I have to say the whole product is better than I remembered. What does everyone else think?

it's a bit too long, but has some good songs. I actually though "standing on the shoulders of giants" is under rated... I like it...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I agree Seachto , SOTSOG is a psychedelic masterpiece.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

A product of more cocaine than sense, is how I remember it.

Advertisement