Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gold panning

• 29-03-2009 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭

Just looking for people here with interest in gold panning. And in this hard economic climate it might be usefull hobby if you know where to go....... Do anyone know about good spots or want to join forces in searching for yello metal? Few cans afterwards, barbecue.... Sounds like good fun to me.... Btw I have mini dredge, sluice box, few pans, metal detector and plenty of time..............

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Sounds like a devilish plan to usurp someone's plot, begone sir, we'll have none of that sort of thing around here.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭DublinDes

patnor1011 wrote: »
    Just looking for people here with interest in gold panning. And in this hard economic climate it might be usefull hobby if you know where to go....... Do anyone know about good spots or want to join forces in searching for yello metal? Few cans afterwards, barbecue.... Sounds like good fun to me.... Btw I have mini dredge, sluice box, few pans, metal detector and plenty of time..............
    Cannot see what this has to do with a histroy forum, but best of luck anyway with it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

AFAIK you need mineral rights too...

Irish gold was found in the pyramids so most of the easily accessible stuff has gone long time ago

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

There is plenty of it up in Tyrone. Up in the Sperrins, close to Gortin. At the Sperrin Heritage Centre you can hire a pan to look for it. When you pan the silt from the river, you can see the glints of gold and pick out little bits. There is also a lot of iron pyrite though. Fools gold! It is a good day out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭patnor1011

thanks terrontress... You are living way too far and I want to go with family so dont want to drive 5 hours to get there;)and then back... I want to try something close to limerick or say up to 100 miles from there... All I was about to say is that gold panning is for me way better spend time than sitting in front of telly with beer and kids running around house... Want them to enjoy fresh air, nature and so... I am looking to gold panning as a thing to keep me out in nature. I dont expect to get ounces of gold everytime when I am out but to find something is good feeling. Back in my country I did lot of detecting with metal detector but that is prohibited here so I dont want to break any law or rules... As for minerals licence you dont need any, gold panning is ok but if you find some sizeable gold you has to report that as that is property of state... Thats bit funny but at least you are not barred from panning like with detector... This thread is in history becouse that alluvial gold is historical it didnt occur during night but hundreds of years... Thanks to everyone....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

thanks terrontress... You are living way too far and I want to go with family so dont want to drive 5 hours to get there;)and then back... I want to try something close to limerick or say up to 100 miles from there... All I was about to say is that gold panning is for me way better spend time than sitting in front of telly with beer and kids running around house... Want them to enjoy fresh air, nature and so... I am looking to gold panning as a thing to keep me out in nature. I dont expect to get ounces of gold everytime when I am out but to find something is good feeling. Back in my country I did lot of detecting with metal detector but that is prohibited here so I dont want to break any law or rules... As for minerals licence you dont need any, gold panning is ok but if you find some sizeable gold you has to report that as that is property of state... Thats bit funny but at least you are not barred from panning like with detector... This thread is in history becouse that alluvial gold is historical it didnt occur during night but hundreds of years... Thanks to everyone....

I am sure, from this post, that your panning technique is probably good. That's essential though becuase despite being at the right site and literally on the gold line, a bad technique will leave you with no gold.

For anyone else reading, either practice your panning with fishing lead weights in a sand and gravelly mixture (at home) or bring back what you whittle down and pan the concentrates at home with the aid of a few buckets of water.

You do need a mineral licence if you are deadly serious about the gold being the property of the State, which is currently the situation. With the current (and next week's) income levy, I say go for it and if you do find some (plenty out there despite other posters' ignorance and false info) then find yourself a friendly jeweller. Irish gold will be much more valuable per gram than US gold as its often 24k, just like Scottish gold.

There's plenty of info on potential sites and there's also a free cd available of sites. Check the government mining sites. http://www.gsi.ie/Programmes/Minerals/Collaborative+Projects/Gold+CD.htm

Limerick has good potential for a number of gold deposit types. Also, ancient gold smelting implements were found in a Limerick bog. Not too far from alluvial and other sources actually. More research will lend more discovery.

But of course, the tired myth that there's no gold in Ireland and all the easy finds are long gone (alluvials get topped up during high floods), is the right myth to keep perpetuating.

Good hunting (I hate that phrase but its appropriate here) :D

Thanks An Ri Rua. As about that myth - you are right. When gold is property of state nobody bothers with looking for it. When somebody found any and did not report it then everybody assume that there is no gold in emerald island... I thing that being in nature is better fun for my kids than hanging around on street. They are happy just to throw rocks to river or search for nice coloured pebles or watching fish........ Panning is as hard as any physical work and your pan is not full of gold like on those youtube videos. But it is exciting to see few shiny specks in black sand however small. That is some kind of reward even if it is not worth lots of money. As you said all easy gold is gone but now gold has bigger value so you have to work harder to get it... Yes there is another way how to get hands on glod. If you have good job you can work and buy few bars from refinery or jeweller. I want only to spend more time in nature. Some people do walking, hiking, fishing I choose panning. I have that Gold CD and I have located 5 rivers-streams so far in Limerick county so far. To check if there is anything in them will take me over this summer easily. I was thinking about that Goldmine river in Wicklow too but it is too far so Ill go there only once to experience beeing on place where gold was found. I know person who did found gold there so when he did why not anyone else. With proper technique and on right spot....... Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭goldseeker

Hi at the moment I am researching possibility to go metal detecting my self in wiklow.
    Do not have any metal detecting equipment yet, that will change soon :)
    Read a lot about licenses and permissions, not legal in Ireland. So need to be careful where you are going. Read as well about gold rush in Wiklow. I would love to go with MD along some stream looking for some real pieces of gold :)
    Would not mind giving a try for gold panning, recession is hitting hard, I guess it might be better than buying those quick pick lottery tickets

dont recommend investing in metal detector... I have minelab 2000 pro and it is sitting in garage for couple of months... never really used it only 2-3 times on beach where I have found silver and gold ring, handfull of coins and truckfull of rubbish... It is not permitted to use md inland only on beach in between low and high tide... anywhere else you risk that your md will be confiscated. but to have gold bug or something for nugets only and watterproof might be good advantage to check up on streams and rivers... anyway as far as I know most of the gold here in streams is in form of small flakes, powder etc... not good for md - only pan will be your friend....

• Advertisement

yeah and that minelab cost me 1450 euro btw....... not the best investment in my life but might be Ill use it some day somewhere and who knows...........;)

Hi Everyone
    It might be not the right place to write it, but who ever wants to go metal detecting tomorrow to portmarnock beach, is welcome. I am going to be there at about 8 in the morning everyone is welcome to join me :)

I would like to go... Where is that beach anyway?

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=53.424418,-6.118827&spn=0.018029,0.047078&t=h&z=15

Here is the link to see where is that beach.Weather was horrible today,did not do any detecting :) Will have to go other weekend. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Just got myself a metal detector there today, well i ordered it off ebay so it should be here next week. Garrett Ace 250, €300

Roll on a nice summer

jaysus why not somebody from around of limerick:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 meatshiel71

i am interested,have plenty of time my self.email conormackin71@hotmail.co.uk

Last week I was in Britas Bay,behind Wicklow.Found 8 euro in coins :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Se4n

Hi

Just joined, my first post, would love to hear your views.

I have just bought a metal detector, living in NI, hoping to beach search in Donegal very soon.

I had understood from reading the posts here and elsewhere on metal detecting, that it was not even legal on the beach.

Please tell me, following your thread, that you are allowed to search the beaches in RI between low and high tide, or are you risking getting caught, fined etc under the National Monuments (Amendment) Act, 1987.

My reading of the section entitled "restriction on use of detection devices" is that you are not specicically prohibited from searching as long as it is away from monuments etc and you are not searching for archaeloogical objects.

As the latter are not defined in the legislation, there seems no reason why you cannot search the beach or other non prescribed areas with the owner's permission for what can be called non archaelogical items, deliberately not defined.

Any comments I would love to hear.
    Sean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 luck of irish

Hi there. We were so delighted to hear that someone is excited about day out having fun just like us. We r 2 czech girls (hope u not disapointed:) ) who love to be doing fun things like you. We were looking up some info when we saw You. We would love to go with You as we r from Shannon. Let us know- its gonna be a lot of fun

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 luck of irish

Hi there. We were so delighted to hear that someone is excited about day out having fun just like us. We r 2 czech girls (hope u not disapointed ) who love to be doing fun things like you. We were looking up some info when we saw You. We would love to go with You as we r from Shannon. Let us know- its gonna be a lot of fun

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Se4n

Hi 2 czech girls

Yea my wife would love that!:)

Still cant seem to find anything that says it is legal to search the beaches in Ireland.

Maybe I will start a metal detecting for non archaelogical objects group to steer clear of the apparantly preclusive legislation and exploit its badly worded, insufficiently defined head in the sand stance against our common hobby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 mark302

patnor, i like your idea, where you from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 tracy1

I would like to go... Where is that beach anyway?
    Let me know if you find my watch, lol....

Hi there. We were so delighted to hear that someone is excited about day out having fun just like us. We r 2 czech girls (hope u not disapointed:) ) who love to be doing fun things like you. We were looking up some info when we saw You. We would love to go with You as we r from Shannon. Let us know- its gonna be a lot of fun

2 Czech girls, and panning for gold? hmmm sounds like my idea of heaven lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Se4n wrote: »
    Hi 2 czech girls

Yea my wife would love that!:)

Still cant seem to find anything that says it is legal to search the beaches in Ireland.

Maybe I will start a metal detecting for non archaelogical objects group to steer clear of the apparantly preclusive legislation and exploit its badly worded, insufficiently defined head in the sand stance against our common hobby.

in for this ;);)

heya long time no see....
    ok. few updates.
    I got gold cd and found that there is few places around limerick co to go panning. i actually went to one place but cant say if there is gold there as i have only started and got phone call to flock off back to work to cover somebody sick.:(
    i got out some black sand from there but cant test it as i need to get few bits for testing... i reckon i have to dig a bit deeper in that river-stream...

as for detecting i am plannning to go in winter as there is more stormy weather and it has something to do with currents and tides and how sand is deposited on beach etc........

i am from limerick btw, abd for that 2 czech girls : zdravim holky...

Thats a very good sign you found black sand. yes do big a bit deeper, until you hit bedrock or deep as you can go. I'm frm dub, gonna go panning in mayo befor summers out, got gold CD too. Have to sort out a lift to mayo off one of my mates who lives in sligo first as i dont drive. Been studying up a lot on youtube bout gold panning.

We should try to be optomisitc, the mother load is out there somewhere :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Hotrod60

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 dadodge

i'd be really interested in going gold panning with anyone who's interested, i've done it a few times in the streams around black hawk and central city in colorado, i have my own pan and stuff, i've been doing a little research and talked to a few prospectors who pan for a living in colorado so if anyone wants to get together and spend hours in cold streams i'm up for it, by the way gold is priced at €650 per ounce or €22 a gram, and irish gold is around 24 ct the same as scottish gold, i've met a couple who made $1500 for a weekend panning

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement