Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless router for Clearwire?

• 10-08-2007 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭

Hi, friend asked me to hook up a wireless router to his clearwire "box", tried an netgear and a cheapo "peak". Same problem with both, in the configuration it couldn't get an ip address from the clearwire box. Rang Clearwire tech support, first guy said that the only wireless router that would work is a Zyxel, got cut off, rang back and got onto another guy who said that both Zyxel and 3com will work.

I hooked up both the netgear and peak (after resetting them) to my esat broadband at home and both work.

Are there specific settings for clearwire, or do only zyxel and 3com wireless router work with them?

Thanks
    Sorry if this is all over the place but my head is wrecked :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

You tried a Netopia router. Is that not for ADSL? That won't work. I think Clearwire needs what's called a 'cable modem'. This doesn't have an ADSL router built in. Instead, it has a WAN port. The ISP's modem is connected to this and the four other ethernet connections are available to PCs on the LAN. I'd recommend the Linksys WRT54G/WRT54GS for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭skibum

:confused:
    ethernet wrote:
    You tried a Netopia router.
    ??

No, I tried a Netgear router.

ethernet wrote:
    I'd recommend the Linksys WRT54G/WRT54GS for this.
    :confused: The clearwire tech support said that they wouldn't support Linksys :confused:
    ethernet wrote:
    I think Clearwire needs what's called a 'cable modem'.
    :confused::confused:
    With all due respect, I don't think you know what you are talking about, I have cut and pasted the following from www.clearwire.ie :

"The Clearwire modem is compatible with standard routers and ethernet switches, so you can easily share your Clearwire connection across your local network. Simply connect the modem and your computers to the switch or router, follow the setup instructions from the switch or router manufacturer, and everyone is online. "

Thanks for trying to help. ;)

skibum wrote:
    :confused: ??

No, I tried a Netgear router.

:confused: The clearwire tech support said that they wouldn't support Linksys :confused:

:confused::confused:
    With all due respect, I don't think you know what you are talking about, I have cut and pasted the following from www.clearwire.ie :

"The Clearwire modem is compatible with standard routers and ethernet switches, so you can easily share your Clearwire connection across your local network. Simply connect the modem and your computers to the switch or router, follow the setup instructions from the switch or router manufacturer, and everyone is online. "

Thanks for trying to help. ;)
    Well you obviously don't need my help now that you've read the information your ISP made so easily available to you in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭skibum

ethernet wrote:
    Well you obviously don't need my help now that you've read the information your ISP made so easily available to you in the first place.
    Yes, I had that information in the first place. I checked their website to see what type of router would be compatable before I went over to his house. I brought two different makes with me and set them up as I have done countless times for land line connections, but with both routers I had the same problem of obtaining an ip address from the clearwire modem.
    I then rang the clearwire "technical support :rolleyes: " 3 times, got three completely different "solutions / advice", resulting in me getting nowhere.

In my original post I stated this, and basically asked if anybody here had experience setting up a wireless router to a clearwire modem, and if so are there any specific settings I need to configure on the wireless router?

Your "help" was all over the shop, first of all you didn't read the post properly as I was trying a "Netgear" not "Netopia" router, then you say
    ethernet wrote:
    I'd recommend the Linksys WRT54G/WRT54GS for this.
    followed by
    ethernet wrote:
    I think Clearwire needs what's called a 'cable modem'.
    so if you "think" it needs a cable modem why did you recommend a Linksys router that according to the manufacturer is for ADSL lines ??
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭sicruise

Just set up your network on the router that you have purchased and set the default gateway as the Clearwire modem...

• Advertisement

skibum wrote:
    Yes, I had that information in the first place. I checked their website to see what type of router would be compatable before I went over to his house. I brought two different makes with me and set them up as I have done countless times for land line connections, but with both routers I had the same problem of obtaining an ip address from the clearwire modem.
    I then rang the clearwire "technical support :rolleyes: " 3 times, got three completely different "solutions / advice", resulting in me getting nowhere.

In my original post I stated this, and basically asked if anybody here had experience setting up a wireless router to a clearwire modem, and if so are there any specific settings I need to configure on the wireless router?

Your "help" was all over the shop, first of all you didn't read the post properly as I was trying a "Netgear" not "Netopia" router, then you say followed by so if you "think" it needs a cable modem why did you recommend a Linksys router that according to the manufacturer is for ADSL lines ??
    ;)
    I misread Netgear as Netopia. Apologies. It's bound to happen when you spend a lot of time contributing solutions and suggestions to other people's problems on boards. Either way, what I was saying is that an ADSL router isn't much good to you.

I must correct you. The Linksys WRT54G/WRT54GS/WRT54GL series is not for xDSL. These routers have a WAN port [no xDSL modem] and are often called 'cable routers'.

If all Clearwire gave you was a bog-standard modem [i.e. no firewall and no router], then you'd need something like the WRT54G, using its WAN port -- just connecting the Clearwire modem to this. Connecting the Clearwire modem to a bridged xDSL router wouldn't work -- router needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭irlrobins

ethernet wrote:
    I misread Netgear as Netopia. Apologies. It's bound to happen when you spend a lot of time contributing solutions and suggestions to other people's problems on boards. Either way, what I was saying is that an ADSL router isn't much good to you.

I must correct you. The Linksys WRT54G/WRT54GS/WRT54GL series is not for xDSL. These routers have a WAN port [no xDSL modem] and are often called 'cable routers'.

If all Clearwire gave you was a bog-standard modem [i.e. no firewall and no router], then you'd need something like the WRT54G, using its WAN port -- just connecting the Clearwire modem to this. Connecting the Clearwire modem to a bridged xDSL router wouldn't work -- router needed.

I have to back up ethernet on what's said so far in regards the Linksys and the difference between a dsl modem and a cable router.

skibum, what model numbers were the Netgear and Peak routers?

Advertisement