Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Anyone have a daily driver Nissan Leaf?

Comments

Okay my above calculations were wrong based on U.S mpg, sorry! :(

Okay based on 55 imp mpg the calculations are......

55 imp mpg divide by 4.54 litres in imp gallon = 12.11 miles per litre.

So 22.50 Euro's worth of diesel would get you 14.54 Litres.

14.54 Litres x 12.11 miles = 176 miles or 990 Euro's for 7744 miles or 12500 kms

Electricity would cost 160 Euro's per year total cost €1150 or 95 Euro's per month total battery rental including electricity to cover 12500 kms per year.

€1150 worth of diesel would get you 741 litres of diesel or 8892 miles or 14000 kms.

So based on the new calculations using imp mpg you loose 1500 kms based on 55 mpg v battery rental on zoe, not bad at all. Indeed the 55 mpg figures will not be seen in town and could go as little as 40-45 lowering the miles got and narrowing the actual real life gap between battery rental and diesel.

Of course anyone driving a petrol should seriously consider the change because the zoe e.v would actually work out cheaper.

So really the argument of ev's costing far more are now old and do not apply regarding the Renault range of e.v's and is a very brave step for Renault who will actually loose out big time over the 3 years, but should gain back most of the battery costs towards the end of the life of the battery.

Renault also take the risk of the battery and it makes total sense to convert to ev unless your daily mileage exceeds 100 miles round trip, or you can not possibly cope with waiting 30 mins on a charger or can't charge at work.

Anyone who can hop on the luas at the mad cow can charge there for free atm. afaik ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭positron

Couple of quick questions to those who are at the cutting edge of things:

1. How much does it cost to charge your Leaf/Zoe at public charging stations? Are they charging the cost price of electricity your car is drawing, or is it something else? Or is it free (like a super market car park, perk for shopping there perhaps?) How does it compare to charging at home?

2. Assume cost of a battery comes down in a couple of years. Would the Zoe owner have a choice to stop paying the monthly charge, and install his own battery (making Zoe like Leaf).

3. Why can't Honda, Suzuki or Yamaha do this with their motorbikes. Brammo is the only one trying this and their Empulse is coming out later this year (production dates confirmed). And it's about $15k, 100 mph with 100 mile range. I want one right now NOW! /rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Joe 90

ironclaw wrote: »
    So if we took a round figure of 120km for daily range, on a full charge with 100% battery health, in 10 years you'll have 96km at best. Assuming of course that the projection is correct. My roundtrip drive every day is 40km in city traffic. Even with 100% battery health, in cold conditions where I might want heat, the range just isn't there. Sure, you couldn't even get to Galway (204km) from Dublin.

The only electric car I would consider would be the Tesla, at least at 390km or there abouts, its a decent enough range obviously at a (somewhat ridiculous) high price tag.

I'm not being pedantic, but I cannot see the point, economically or technologically, with this technology as it stands.
    Just did a quick google and the Tesla weighs about 1000lb more than the Elise it is based on.

positron wrote: »
    1. How much does it cost to charge your Leaf/Zoe at public charging stations? Are they charging the cost price of electricity your car is drawing, or is it something else? Or is it free (like a super market car park, perk for shopping there perhaps?) How does it compare to charging at home?

I think it will be around 3 euro's, 1.60 is what it will cost you on night rate at home. I don't know if the esb will have a night rate for public chargers ?

They charge for total electricity consumed in kw/hrs

Bear in mind parking fees apply, so 2.90 per hour in Dublin + 3 euro's for a full charge, I've no idea if parking is free for e.v charging, highly unlikely!

If it costs 93 euro's for an audi A4 Diesel to do 600 miles, then the same would cost 35 euro's for charging from an on street charger based on 2.90 per hour parking and 3 euro's to charge. And based on my own experiences in an A4 Diesel Auto, or just 9.60 from your home charger on night rate.

Obviously I would strongly discourage anyone from paying any kind of ridiculous street parking and charge from home!
    2. Assume cost of a battery comes down in a couple of years. Would the Zoe owner have a choice to stop paying the monthly charge, and install his own battery (making Zoe like Leaf).

The batteries will come down no doubt about that. But If you sign a lease it's unlikely Renault will allow you to change until your lease is up, they are loosing a lot of money (over a 3 year leas) and so will keep the batteries in circulation until they make their money back on the cost of the packs.

New packs with new specs will only appear in new cars, regarding the leaf where you buy the battery, i've no idea what will become available!
    3. Why can't Honda, Suzuki or Yamaha do this with their motorbikes. Brammo is the only one trying this and their Empulse is coming out later this year (production dates confirmed). And it's about $15k, 100 mph with 100 mile range. I want one right now NOW! /rant.

That 100 miles range would probably be 30 at 100 mph, and more like 100 miles at 50 mph!

Motorbike manufacturers and car manufacturers will offer electric vehicles when they see the market for it, Renault, and Nissan are the ones taking a huge gamble and the rest of the worlds manufacturers are sitting watching to see if they go bust or not. And as soon as the market takes off they will start making ev's. Most car manufacturers have some kind of e.v testing plan on a small scale, and are spending a lot on research and development and when the time is right will release it, when they can make money from it.

One other point to note, the higher spec diesel clio costs about 1500 euro's more than the higher spec zoe, saving 120 euro's per month, meaning you could go up to a higher mileage plan. The zoe is a high spec car!

If you were to think of the zoe as an auto, then an auto version of the clio would cost at least 1500 euro's more, and have higher road tax!

So in reality zoe would be saving 220 pm if you added auto box to the cost of the clio! And probably save another 150 on road tax!

One very interesting thing to note is, if the zoe had no battery rental costs and that 120pm saved would actually get you about 96000 miles in electricity over a year!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

Until the day arrives where one can go to their electric station as distinct from a petrol station, where all battery packs are universal and there is a system like gas bottles re exchanging where you go to the station, exchange your battery pack for another and zoom/buzz whatever off for another 150km with or no fuss/time on the exchange I'll never even consider buying one of those buzz boxes.

The technology is light years away yet for a quick turnaround re recharge or exchange so in reality practicality using a volts car in my world is zero. Together with 25€k to buy one of these, I'd prefer to buy a 12k diesel golf and spend the rest on juice.

Finally all this stuff of the world running out of oil is pure shoite. It's supply and demand and the economics model that is driving these prices.....go fly over the great expanses of northern Canada.....place is creaking at the seams with minerals that are yet to be explored.

Roll on €2 a Litre and I'll get my dream Lexus 430 for free!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭creedp

Bearcat wrote: »
    Finally all this stuff of the world running out of oil is pure shoite. It's supply and demand and the economics model that is driving these prices.....go fly over the great expanses of northern Canada.....place is creaking at the seams with minerals that are yet to be explored.

This is the great connundrum of oil prices. When valuing the oil find off Cork, analysts were using $80 a barrel as the long term value of a barrel of crude oil. Where is the great explosion in oil prices due to peak oil if this is a valid long term value? It was great to hear that Ireland is delighted to welcome the fact that 200 million+ Chinese will fly abroad each year on holidays over the next number of years with some hopefully dropping in here to say hello. With all the scaremongering about oil supply/prices what will fuel all these planes and how will tourists afford the fares on the polluter pays principle that applies to motorists. It seems to me this excuse has been used for generations so that motorists can be screwed for fuel/CO2 taxes. Strange that it doesn't equally apply to other uses of this extremely scarce resource!

Until the day arrives where one can go to their electric station as distinct from a petrol station, where all battery packs are universal and there is a system like gas bottles re exchanging where you go to the station, exchange your battery pack for another and zoom/buzz whatever off for another 150km with or no fuss/time on the exchange I'll never even consider buying one of those buzz boxes.

Don't, continue to buy petrol or diesel. No one asked you to consider it! ;)
    You prefer ice cars, that's fine. Your choice, I'm not here to tell anyone to do anything they don't want to do! :)
    The technology is light years away yet for a quick turnaround re recharge or exchange so in reality practicality using a volts car in my world is zero. Together with 25€k to buy one of these, I'd prefer to buy a 12k diesel golf and spend the rest on juice.

The leaf is already getting wireless charging, faster home charging and much more efficient heater, I would say that is light speed progression! ;)

Nissan already have 10 min charging from 0, but have not said when we will be getting it!

I would rather an efficient, quiet, cheap to run e.v than pay for petrol or diesel than to have to listen to the rattle of a diesel any day. Esp a boring vw Golf. I would rather put my money towards a newer e.v than an older rattle box vw, and paying extortionate amounts of tax on an ice. They want to increase taxes on ev, fine then I will install solar panels and drive for almost free!

People are more concerned about what it is costing them to run their cars more than where the energy required to charge them is coming from. And by using ev's it will help reduce consumption and cancer causing emissions and that is no bad thing as far as I'm concerned. A lot of wind energy can now be used to charge at night. Or install your own renewable energy.

That's just talking crap for the sake of it now, really.

If you were so anti e.v, and pro ice, then why don't you convert to lpg ? and pay 69 cent-1.00 per liter compared to 1.66 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

i took a leaf for a test drive about a year ago and have to say i was well impressed, can i ask all you leaf owners, did any of you have any form of break down,problems, and can you tell me after all this time do you have any regrets , are your batterys deteriorating so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Lon Dubh

I heard an add on the radio in the last few days that Nissan are reducing the price by 5,000 for the next few weeks (maybe til the end of April?). So they are now 25,000 new for a little while. Thought I would mention it in case anyone was considering getting one as that would quite be quite a reduction.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

Still can't understand why the range is so bad. It's like there making them with a limited range on purpose. It hasn't increased on main stream production electric vehicles in twenty years. Not exactly in line with the development of battery and electronic technology.

They should also come with a free solar panel courtesy of enda.

Can't see them catching on. Imagine all the punts we have if we told the IMF and the(ir) oil companies to **** off and we all drove around in EV's powered by our own fuel.

If I got one for free I'd drive it. Who wouldn't. You'd have to be some dickhead to not drive an electric car on the principal of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

The problem here is that you can't ask a normal question about an EV without a bunch of retards chiming in about how diesel is better.

I don't want a car that stinks like a farmers hole after a day on the tractor, especially when I can get one where in my case running costs will be free.

I don't want a car where a DMF shakes the clutch to bits, or a DPF clogs and puts it in limp mode.

A Leaf is perfectly suited to my needs - however the people who secretly want to give Jeremy Clarkson a happy ending massage just can't let it go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Here's another thing for you nay-sayers.

It would only take 1 minute of my time to charge my LEAF, whereas you petrol dinosaurs have to drive to a garage, queue up, fill your tank, go in and pay and then drive off again - about 10 times longer than I need.

Are any of you smart enough to figure out why the above is true??

Still can't understand why the range is so bad. It's like there making them with a limited range on purpose. It hasn't increased on main stream production electric vehicles in twenty years. Not exactly in line with the development of battery and electronic technology.

They should also come with a free solar panel courtesy of enda.

Can't see them catching on. Imagine all the punts we have if we told the IMF and the(ir) oil companies to **** off and we all drove around in EV's powered by our own fuel.

If I got one for free I'd drive it. Who wouldn't. You'd have to be some dickhead to not drive an electric car on the principal of it.

The low range is mainly down to cost.

Trillions of dollars, euros have gone into ice development and a lot of the battery patents were bought up by oil companies, such as the NiMh battery in 2000. Gm sold the battery rights to chevron Texaco who would only allow a battery the size of the one in the Prius. So ended the ev revolution, the battery was good enough and has proved to have lasted more than 10 years and 150,000 miles as in the Toyota rav 4 e.v and well over 300,000 miles in the Prius.

The Renault Zoe should have more range than the Leaf, but time will tell.

The Leaf can do 100 or more miles if you don't mind driving under 120 kph, or if there is a fast charger on your route, even better.

The point being most people drive less than 50 miles a day and don't need 400+ miles range and what it's costing in petrol.

The next big step for electric cars will be wheel hub motors, the Chinese have a concept car that will do a real 150 miles on the same size battery as the leaf. Hub motors can be far more efficient, needing no reduction gear, or no drive shafts. Just battery, controller and motors.

Best thing about the hub motor, depending on the design is the only moving part is the actual wheel itself, the motor internals never move!

Nissans NMC battery will be available in 2015 with more range, and I hope they have hub motors.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Pkiernan wrote: »
    The problem here is that you can't ask a normal question about an EV without a bunch of retards chiming in about how diesel is better.

I don't want a car that stinks like a farmers hole after a day on the tractor, especially when I can get one where in my case running costs will be free.

I don't want a car where a DMF shakes the clutch to bits, or a DPF clogs and puts it in limp mode.

A Leaf is perfectly suited to my needs - however the people who secretly want to give Jeremy Clarkson a happy ending massage just can't let it go.

Its not that a Diesel is better, in a lot of cases its the only option thats fit for purpose.

An electric car would not be fit for purpose in my situation.

Even cost wise my current car works out cheaper, at this stage i'm paying a very reasonable amount by car pooling and getting my tax rebate every year + filling up at cheaper stations and not booting it everywhere.

Environmentally it would make more sense to get public transport.

There would only be very specific circumstances where it would make sense to have an electric car in my case anyway, plus i'd need a driveway to plug the thing in.

If I wasn't working so far away i'd get rid of the car altogether and cycle everywhere or use public transport and then rent a car (whatever fuel it uses) to do longer journeys.

Car is a luxury in the first place, Electric car is an expensive luxury for someone that doesn't buy a new car to begin with.

Its not that a Diesel is better, in a lot of cases its the only option thats fit for purpose.

Even cost wise my current car works out cheaper, at this stage i'm paying a very reasonable amount by car pooling and getting my tax rebate every year + filling up at cheaper stations and not booting it everywhere.

There would only be very specific circumstances where it would make sense to have an electric car in my case anyway, plus i'd need a driveway to plug the thing in.

If I wasn't working so far away i'd get rid of the car altogether and cycle everywhere or use public transport and then rent a car (whatever fuel it uses) to do longer journeys.

Car is a luxury in the first place, Electric car is an expensive luxury for someone that doesn't buy a new car to begin with.

In the case of the Renault Zoe, it will cost around €16,500 and it's a high spec car and only fair to compare it to the higher spec diesel Cllio, and even then the Zoe is a higher spec car, the Higher spec Clio is about 18,500 Euro's, and an automatic version would see that cost around 20,000!

The battery rental including electricity costs (and I worked this out) works out as cheap as a 55 mpg car. Now that's 55 mpg per tank not per trip. And that's at today's fuel prices. Anyone in petrol car will save straight away. People who usually do city and town driving will not be wasting fuel and saving straight away.

E.V's also require very little maintenance.

So when Zoe is released, there will no longer be a valid argument about E.V's costing more then the ICE equivalent.

Sure you could by a car for 500 euro's and drive it until it dies and just pay for petrol. The only way ice cars will be cheaper from now on is to buy older and older cars.

I fully understand the range issue, Zoe is supposed to be more efficient, it's smaller than the Leaf so should have more range, that's unknown yet, but you will have the usual journalistic bull crap reviews where they get into the car and turn up the heat full blast and drive aggressively, all to prove a point!

For most people they are good enough. Borrow an ice car if you need range, if you can't wait at a charge point, or rent.

Zoe will also charge in an hour from any E.S.B public charge points, which are being upgraded to charge in 30 mins all from empty, so a charge will usually be less than an hour.

Anyone in apartments who can't yet charge can go somewhere there is a charge point while doing their shopping and it will be charged when they come out.

Don't forget the Renault Twizy is available to order now, and what a cool looking thing it is and perfect for local driving. I want one! :D

Twizzy2.jpg

It's astonishing how fast electric vahicles are progressing, if only ice cars developed so fast, we could have had very fuel efficient cars decades ago!

In the case of the Renault Zoe, it will cost around €16,500 and it's a high spec car and only fair to compare it to the higher spec diesel Cllio, and even then the Zoe is a higher spec car, the Higher spec Clio is about 18,500 Euro's, and an automatic version would see that cost around 20,000!

The battery rental including electricity costs (and I worked this out) works out as cheap as a 55 mpg car. Now that's 55 mpg per tank not per trip. And that's at today's fuel prices. Anyone in petrol car will save straight away. People who usually do city and town driving will not be wasting fuel and saving straight away.

E.V's also require very little maintenance.

So when Zoe is released, there will no longer be a valid argument about E.V's costing more then the ICE equivalent.

Sure you could by a car for 500 euro's and drive it until it dies and just pay for petrol. The only way ice cars will be cheaper from now on is to buy older and older cars.

I fully understand the range issue, Zoe is supposed to be more efficient, it's smaller than the Leaf so should have more range, that's unknown yet, but you will have the usual journalistic bull crap reviews where they get into the car and turn up the heat full blast and drive aggressively, all to prove a point!

For most people they are good enough. Borrow an ice car if you need range, if you can't wait at a charge point, or rent.

Zoe will also charge in an hour from any E.S.B public charge points, which are being upgraded to charge in 30 mins all from empty, so a charge will usually be less than an hour.

Anyone in apartments who can't yet charge can go somewhere there is a charge point while doing their shopping and it will be charged when they come out.

Don't forget the Renault Twizy is available to order now, and what a cool looking thing it is and perfect for local driving. I want one! :D

It's astonishing how fast electric vahicles are progressing, if only ice cars developed so fast, we could have had very fuel efficient cars decades ago!

I'm driving 40,000km / year in a 2.0 Diesel Volvo V50, excluding depreciation its costing me just shy of 500 euros per year inc Fuel, Tax, Insurance and Maintenance.

Reason for this is because my mileage to work is reclaimable and I share the costs via Car Pooling.

I drive 128km each way per day, its not very normal here to have a driveway and there are no charging points in work.

An electric car would only make sense as a runaround to go to the shops, but the initial outlay is far too much for this to make sense.

I bought my car when it was 5 years old, so the depreciation issue is not that bad.

Only type of car that would work out cheaper for me is LPG, Electric costs much much more in my case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

I found this video of the Twizy on some back roads around Ibiza, apologies for the sound track, probably not to everyone's tastes. But the reviewer does appear to get some tyre squeal going around a corner or two :) Speed isn't amazing of course, but I guess the driving feeling from such a small car and lack of electronic aids probably helps improve the experience!

http://www.technologicvehicles.com/en/actualite-mobilite-verte/1693/video-essai-invasion-de-renault-twizy-a-ibiza
    Driveability

The chassis is responsive, steering precise, it only has a slight tendency to understeer.
    On roundabouts this rear-wheel drive electric kart is super fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

This is one of the reason electric cars will not easily become popular. People cant work out how much their current car costs.

Please explain to me how you can drive 40000kms in anything for €500. Utter nonsense!

650Ginge wrote: »
    This is one of the reason electric cars will not easily become popular. People cant work out how much their current car costs.

Please explain to me how you can drive 40000kms in anything for €500. Utter nonsense!

In Germany you get 35 cent / kilometer to drive to work, hence the difference between my Travel Rebate and my Car costs including Carpooling for the year of 2010 was 476 euros.

Believe me, I know exactly how much its costs to get to work ;) It's required to submit everything for my yearly Dutch / German return.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

In Germany you get 35 cent / kilometer to drive to work, hence the difference between my Travel Rebate and my Car costs including Carpooling for the year of 2010 was 476 euros.

Believe me, I know exactly how much its costs to get to work ;) It's required to submit everything for my yearly Dutch / German return.

Ok fair enough but that isn't exactly how u explained it the first time.

Would u not get the rebate even if u drove electric? Not comparing like with like.

Ok fair enough but that isn't exactly how u explained it the first time.

Would u not get the rebate even if u drove electric? Not comparing like with like.

Of course, but there are no reasonably priced second hand electric cars.

Also none that have a range of 256 km / day, 4 days per week.

The initial outlay does not make sense in my case, nor does the lack of range or that fact that I do not have a driveway (house by the way not apartment) and do not have charging facilities in work.

Plus a tank of Diesel does me for a week, theres numerous Diesel charging facilities on my way home, two that are pretty cheap.

A car is not a luxury to many people here I'm afraid. And an electric car could reduce the cost of driving tremendously.

AN electric car for most people who drive would be very suitable, in the case of the Renault Zoe. Which is as cheap to run as the diesel, cheaper if you take into account much less servicing needed on an e.v.

I converted my bicycle to electric, 62kph and less than 10 cent to charge for 10-12 miles 52-62 kph, I do all my local trips on it.

That is the cheapest form of local transport for me and saving me a fortune!

To think that most people sit in traffic for so many miles just to sit in their car with the heater on is absolute madness, I can't understand it.

That's why I think that Twizy has so much potential, if people only understood it's so wasteful to drive a car that can seat 5 when most of the time there is only 1 person in it.

I love my electric bike, and the acceleration is sooooo much fun, 110 lbs of torque fromt he second I hit the throttle is a whole lot of fun and cars are soooo boring now!

BY the way that's as much torque as a 1.6 102hp petrol VW Golf, with the weight of me and the bike! :D

I can also charge in 10 mins if I got a suitable charger, but 1 hour charging suits me fine!

Of course, but there are no reasonably priced second hand electric cars.

Also none that have a range of 256 km / day, 4 days per week.

The initial outlay does not make sense in my case, nor does the lack of range or that fact that I do not have a driveway (house by the way not apartment) and do not have charging facilities in work.

Plus a tank of Diesel does me for a week, theres numerous Diesel charging facilities on my way home, two that are pretty cheap.

Ultra fast charging, lon battery life and a real range of 100 miles are far more important than carrying around a very expensive battery!

That's a serious commute in any one day, and not typical of most of the population.

When Nissan release their 10 min charging car, it will appeal to a lot more people.

And I can only commend Nissan and Renault for having the balls to invest so much in electric vehicles, shaming the Germans, who are light years behind, even Toyota!

To think that most people sit in traffic for so many miles just to sit in their car with the heater on is absolute madness, I can't understand it.

Indeed, thats why I have a flextime arrangement with Work, plus I have three routes I can take in the morning.
    That's why I think that Twizy has so much potential, if people only understood it's so wasteful to drive a car that can seat 5 when most of the time there is only 1 person in it.

Thats why I carpool to reduce my costs:
    http://www.karzoo.nl

I have been keeping an eye on the Single seater car developments from VW and BMW, even looked at the Carver One (but they went bust)
    Ultra fast charging, lon battery life and a real range of 100 miles are far more important than carrying around a very expensive battery!

That's a serious commute in any one day, and not typical of most of the population.

When Nissan release their 10 min charging car, it will appeal to a lot more people.

And I can only commend Nissan and Renault for having the balls to invest so much in electric vehicles, shaming the Germans, who are light years behind, even Toyota!

Its not that serious a commute, its 1 hour and 18 minutes each way door to door. by Public Transport its 3 hrs 15 minutes each way door to door.

My Uncle does Clonmel <-> Cork every day and has been doing that for the last 15 years, its more typical than you'd think.

The range is irrelevant for me as there is no charging points at work and I do not have a driveway so i'd have to park somewhere near home and work to charge it, this would make me lose a portion of the time benefit I gain from driving by car.

As I said, its not suitable and probably will not be suitable or cheaper for me for the foreseeable future.

IMO for someone that buys a new car every 2 years then it would be cheaper to own/run an electric car. For someone that buys a 5 - 10 year old cars and maintains them properly it doesn't make sense for them either.

Electrics are only really suitable for early adopters, but it only makes sense if you want a new car (new for me is 3 - 5 years old :) )

The whole car is a luxury item thing, not going there, can of worms :D

Indeed, thats why I have a flextime arrangement with Work, plus I have three routes I can take in the morning.

Thats why I carpool to reduce my costs:
    http://www.karzoo.nl

I have been keeping an eye on the Single seater car developments from VW and BMW, even looked at the Carver One (but they went bust)

Its not that serious a commute, its 1 hour and 18 minutes each way door to door. by Public Transport its 3 hrs 15 minutes each way door to door.

My Uncle does Clonmel <-> Cork every day and has been doing that for the last 15 years, its more typical than you'd think.

The range is irrelevant for me as there is no charging points at work and I do not have a driveway so i'd have to park somewhere near home and work to charge it, this would make me lose a portion of the time benefit I gain from driving by car.

As I said, its not suitable and probably will not be suitable or cheaper for me for the foreseeable future.

IMO for someone that buys a new car every 2 years then it would be cheaper to own/run an electric car. For someone that buys a 5 - 10 year old cars and maintains them properly it doesn't make sense for them either.

Electrics are only really suitable for early adopters, but it only makes sense if you want a new car (new for me is 3 - 5 years old :) )

The whole car is a luxury item thing, not going there, can of worms :D

The car is essential for me most of the time, but as I said the leccy bike does all my local miles, up to 20. The only thing that restricts me from further than 12 miles full speed ev only range is my choice of battery. I sized it to my needs and I like to pedal a lot.

Indeed, spend 2000 on a car and drive until death is the cheapest way, no one denies that it's cheaper to buy an old car than an e.v. But that will change as 2nd hand e.v's become available. In 3 years the Zoe would probably be got for 8,000 that's a cheap e.v and motor's last a lot longer than an ice, however they are not unknown to fail. But if engineered properly it should last the life of the car needing 0 maintenance. Once they become available at a reasonable cost, I will have one because I would rather spend more money on a better car than waste it on petrol or diesel !

The single biggest danger to electric motors is heat! I should know! :D

and hub motors are even better suited to e.v's because all that moves is the wheel.

Electric bikes are a fantastic alternative form of transport, and such fun, however the so called legal ugly boring bikes I can understand why people might not want to buy them, still they offer assistance and shouldn't be dismissed totally.

The E.U is changing the electric bicycle laws to allow unlimited power for those that need to pull loads, or heaver people or for climbing steep long hills where the limit of 250 watts is useless.

However the 15 mph speed limit and no throttle still applies, still it's progress.

What makes much better sense is a higher speed and have speed limit areas the same with cars. How many cars do we see well in excess of the 50 kph speed limit in built up areas ?

The car is essential for me most of the time, but as I said the leccy bike does all my local miles, up to 20. The only thing that restricts me from further than 12 miles full speed ev only range is my choice of battery. I sized it to my needs and I like to pedal a lot.

Electric bikes are a fantastic alternative form of transport, and such fun, however the so called legal ugly boring bikes I can understand why people might not want to buy them, still they offer assistance and shouldn't be dismissed totally.

OT but
    Deffo, I was looking at something like this if commuting by Train :D
    http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B004JLO5SO/sr=8-4/qid=1334589258/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&qid=1334589258&sr=8-4&seller=

I also have a 'drinking' bike that I can afford to have robbed, the lock is worth more then the bike and a nicer more compfy beach cruiser for long day trips in the summer, dont need gears because the place is so flat :)

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    You have to joking right??????

Not at all, we have gone form an electric car that can charge from 8 hours last year to an e.v that can charge in 30 mins from any public charge point, the E.S.B are upgrading their chargers to allow this to be possible, but currently the non upgraded chargers will charge in an hour. In the case of the Renault Zoe that is!

Show me an ice car that has had such a major development in just 1 year ?

OT but
    Deffo, I was looking at something like this if commuting by Train :D
    http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B004JLO5SO/sr=8-4/qid=1334589258/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&qid=1334589258&sr=8-4&seller=

I also have a 'drinking' bike that I can afford to have robbed, the lock is worth more then the bike and a nicer more compfy beach cruiser for long day trips in the summer, dont need gears because the place is so flat :)

Sure that would be ideal for the train, just not sure of the quality of the battery., at least they were honest and said it had a 500 cycle life. However charging after every ride (or as ofter as you can) will ensure longer life. Leaving it unused for more than a month wouldn't be advisable. 1 cycle is 100-0% 0-100%

You can always "hack" it for more speed, or put a throttle on it depending on the electronic controller used, though the motor and battery will probably be the most limiting factor.

• Advertisement

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I really have to go and find all the info? You said in your original post:

Lets look at some quick examples off the top of my head:

1983 Porsche 911
    3.2 Flat 6 207bhp
    20+mpg
    Co2 295

2012 Porsche 911
    3.4 Flat 6 350bhp
    30+mpg
    Co2 194

The Porsche is nearly pushing twice as much power and does 50% better mpg and is vastly cleaner.

2011 Ford Focus 1.6
    105bhp
    35mpg

2012 Ford Focus 1.0
    125bhp
    55-60mpg
    (30kgs lighter)

The modern petrol is light years ahead of what compared to 20/30 years ago. Look at FIATs twinair or VW`s TFSI engines. Trying running a old carb engine and see what it was like before modern fuel injection and ECU`s. I`m sure some of more technical posters could come up some more examples.

twice the mpg would be good but that is ideal conditions and people rarely achieve those figures.

Quote from autoexpress

Featuring a number of mechanical tweaks, the latest addition to the A4 line-up promises to return a remarkable 65.7mpg and emit only 112g/km of CO2. So, will its mix of upmarket appeal and supermini running costs be enough to beat its new-age rivals?

However, this test is more about reduced running costs than performance and poise – and that’s where the Audi struggles. Despite having fuel-saving kit such as stop-start and regenerative braking systems, the A4 could manage only 32.4mpg on our 40-mile commuting route. It returned a reasonable 39.7mpg on the test overall.[end quote]

In relation to the twin air Fiat

The engine isn’t refined, however. It needs lots of revs to get the car moving, and is one of the loudest engines in its class. Fortunately, the two-cylinder thrum adds character.[end quote]

Hardly progress!

the vag tsi's are great engines along with fiat's 1.4 turbo's. But most fail to deliver the claimed mpg and also means their C02 ratings must be way off too!

There is fierce competition to make ever more efficient cars, but in the end there is not much more they can do to the ice that will make them efficient enough to make a real difference to the pockets of motorists!

Even the what car reader reviews are full of reader reviews where people fail to get even close to the mpg figures claimed by car manufacturers.

Advertisement