Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jury Duty - Have to stay in a hotel?

• 19-02-2012 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭Benzino

I was called for jury duty this tuesday, and I'm just wondering what happens if you get picked. Do they only put you in a hotel when you have to come to a verdict, and not for the entire duration of the trial? Because I've tickets to a gig on Wednesday night that I really want to go to :pac:

Also, I assume you are expected to go back to work if not picked? (I've an 90minute commute back to work :( )

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

Yeah you can go home at the end of the day if the trial is ongoing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭Benzino

Predalien wrote: »
    Yeah you can go home at the end of the day if the trial is ongoing.

Great, thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

Was called a couple of times, if you are released from the court at anytime during your working day, you are obliged to make your way to work. I would suggest that if the time left in the working day is less than the commute to your place of work, you call your boss and get his verbal permission to go home instead. Just what I would do to cover myself:D

Also a jury are only sequestered if the case warrants it...possible threat to jurors safety/integrity in/or high media profile case.......Enjoy the gig:D

When I done jury service during the summer, I was picked for a case (only a couple of days), and the person who looks after the jury (can't remember their title) said that they don't do the hotel thing anymore...

Well I didn't get picked, but have to go back on Thursday anyway :( That's over €40 gone on travelling :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

I thought you could claim, reasonable vouched expenses?? You should check the website re expenses........now, don't get excited,it may have been cut in recent years!!! But it is my memory that such a support existed once upon a time!!

Yeah, I asked them today and they said they don't do it, which is annoying :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

afaik no expenses. It is a civic duty

Advertisement