Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

nissan almera 2.2td 16v twin cam

• 28-06-2007 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Looking at a used 02 almera van 2.2td 16v twin cam. Has anyone any info on this engine.

I have very little knowlage about engines maybe we could start with what is twin cam?.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Twin Overhead camshafts, means nothing more than its got 16v engine (8 per camshaft).

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

mike65 wrote:
    Twin Overhead camshafts, means nothing more than its got 16v engine (8 per camshaft).

Mike.
    Although, just to confuse matters, some twin cams only have 8 valves.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

And many single overhead cam engines have 16 valves.

Having twin camshafts means more precise control of valves. Meaning less design compromises.

Tho some manufacturers have traditionally gone the twincam route, Nissan being one of them.

OTOH, Honda usually use a single cam (but always 4v per cyl) on all but their highest performing engines.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

the bhp on the van isn't as high as it is on the Primera, still a very strong engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭blockman

colm_mcm wrote:
    the bhp on the van isn't as high as it is on the Primera, still a very strong engine.

What is the bhp on the almera van?.

• Advertisement

JHMEG wrote:
    And many single overhead cam engines have 16 valves.

Having twin camshafts means more precise control of valves. Meaning less design compromises.

Tho some manufacturers have traditionally gone the twincam route, Nissan being one of them.

OTOH, Honda usually use a single cam (but always 4v per cyl) on all but their highest performing engines.

Is the 16v twin cam on the almera van a good engine?.

How does this engine differ from the standard 2.2 td?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Afaik all Nissan (4 cylinder) engines are twincam and 16 valve.

To answer your question, as far as I know there is essentially only one 2.2 diesel engine. One has common rail direct injection (dCi) and the other doesn't (Di). The dCi is a bit more powerful (actually there are two versions of the dCi). Afaik the dCi started in late 2002, so your's might be the older one.

I wouldn't expect it to be anything other than typical Jap reliability, especially as it's a diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭maidhc

JHMEG wrote:
    I wouldn't expect it to be anything other than typical Jap reliability, especially as it's a diesel.

Is the 2.2 not of Renault lineage? I don't know, but the first Laguna I's had 2.2 diesels IIRC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

The 2.2turbo almeara van is 140bhp and has a 6spd gearbox if i recall correctly. Theres a smaller bhp model too isnt there, not sure what litre engine that is though. If its a renault engine it might be a bit dodgey?

What other car vans are you considering, the golfs are ridiculously overrated/overpriced/underspeced.

The focus van(not the new yoke), 1.8turbo might be the best bet, good value/looks nice/adequate power but i`d like to know what they`re like when hitting big mileage before buying one.

307hdi is a great engine i`d imagine, i had 306 non turbo diesel vans and they were bullet proof, the hdi is a nice engine, but i myself wouldnt be mad on the looks of the 307 van.

Hmmmmm, if you can afford the new type corolla van that would probably be a decent van.

Hmmm, let us know what you decide as i might be buying another car/van in the near future meself and may consider the almeara.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

the smaller bhp is 110 if i remember correctly, not many are 130-something bhp like in the Primera

• Advertisement

have we established whether its a Nissan or a Renault engine?

Nuttzy wrote:
    The 2.2turbo almeara van is 140bhp and has a 6spd gearbox if i recall correctly. Theres a smaller bhp model too isnt there, not sure what litre engine that is though. If its a renault engine it might be a bit dodgey?

What other car vans are you considering, the golfs are ridiculously overrated/overpriced/underspeced.

The focus van(not the new yoke), 1.8turbo might be the best bet, good value/looks nice/adequate power but i`d like to know what they`re like when hitting big mileage before buying one.

307hdi is a great engine i`d imagine, i had 306 non turbo diesel vans and they were bullet proof, the hdi is a nice engine, but i myself wouldnt be mad on the looks of the 307 van.

Hmmmmm, if you can afford the new type corolla van that would probably be a decent van.

Hmmm, let us know what you decide as i might be buying another car/van in the near future meself and may consider the almeara.

I wish I could afford to look at new model carvans, alas my hard earned cash can only streach to the 02 almera van which I think is not that powerfull.

blockman wrote:
    I wish I could afford to look at new model carvans, alas my hard earned cash can only streach to the 02 almera van which I think is not that powerfull.

The 2.2 is 130/140bhp?? thats powerful enough surely.

Nuttzy wrote:
    The 2.2 is 130/140bhp?? thats powerful enough surely.

Would the 02 model be that powerful?.

Im not sure of the exact power outputs, but i`d like to think a 2.2Td has at least 110bhp. You should ring 1 of the garages and just ask them what power they are for the various years/models. 110bhb would be decent enough too in a van like.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Accordign to Parkers theres 3 outputs for that model 2.2 diesel Almera car . 108,110 and 134. I'd assume the van uses the same engine so it's one of the 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,096 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think the most powerful version of the 2.2 diesel engine came with a 6 speed manual gearbox where as the others have a 5 speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 spuddoorley

what is the mpg of the 2.2 almera

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

I sense a thread locky....

come again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Mods don't like old, old threads being revived. They prefer you created a new thread with your question ;)

To answer your original question you're looking at around 48mpg combined :)

thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Mods hate this! It's a four year old thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

And still haven't found out if it;s a Renault or a Nissan designed block....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Amazing that we have so many boards-rules experts, but none of you would bother their ar$e reporting the post and making our jobs easier. :rolleyes:

Spuddoorley, please start a new thread rather than bumping old ones. Please read the Charter (see my signature) for more information.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement