Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE pundits spoofing again

• 14-06-2012 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭

Remember this thread from the qualifying competition?

Once again, it appears that RTE's chief pundit Eamon Dunphy just hasn't done his homework.

He has just said on RTE that the Italy Croatia draw is a good result for Ireland.

It's not. It means that even if we draw with Spain tonight, and beat Italy, our qualification is now out of our hands. If that scenario transpires and Spain beat Croatia, we are out because we will have four points, so will Croatia and they will win on head to head.

I realise this is all probably academic as the chances at the time of writing of Ireland taking four points from the Italian and Spanish matches is remote. But
    this is a News & Media thread, not a football one. The issue here is laziness and lack of research done by people who are paid a lot of money to be pundits, to know what they are talking about and to base their supposedly expert commentary on the facts.

Dunphy either hasn't done so or is too stupid to work out the permutations. I know which I think is the case.

I wonder what Roy Keane would make of such shoddy preparation.

If you doubt the veracity of what I say, here are the rules from the UEFA website.

Equality of points after the group matches
    8.07 If two or more teams are equal on points on completion of the group matches, the
    following criteria are applied, in the order given; to determine the rankings:
    a) higher number of points obtained in the matches among the teams in question;
    b) superior goal difference in the matches among the teams in question (if more
    than two teams finish equal on points);
    c) higher number of goals scored in the matches among the teams in question (if
    more than two teams finish equal on points);
    d) superior goal difference in all the group matches;
    e) higher number of goals scored in all the group matches;
    f) position in the UEFA national team coefficient ranking system (see Annex I,
    paragraph 1.2.2);
    g) fair play conduct of the teams (final tournament);
    h) drawing of lots.
    8.08 If two teams which have the same number of points, the same number of goals
    scored and conceded play their last group match against each other and are still
    equal at the end of that match, the ranking of the two teams in question is
    determined by kicks from the penalty mark (Article 16), provided no other teams
    within the group have the same number of points on completion of all group
    matches. Should more than two teams have the same number of points, the criteria
    listed under paragraph 8.07 apply

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

There is a thread here for this sort of observation (and yep a draw was the worst result for Ireland)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

EDIT>

Dunphy takes on to know more than he does. The media in general have been a disgrace in the coverage of Poland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

mike65 wrote: »
    There is a thread here for this sort of observation (and yep a draw was the worst result for Ireland)

Not part of the soccer circle jerk and don't want to be.

Meh. It's all academic now anyway. :(

Advertisement