Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tipping in Sydney?

• 20-02-2012 7:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭

Should I be tipping at bars after buying drinks or taxis after the fare? Is there any guidelines to what is expected? Same goes for a restaurant.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

digiman wrote: »
    Should I be tipping at bars after buying drinks or taxis after the fare? Is there any guidelines to what is expected? Same goes for a restaurant.
    Certainly not after buying a drink, taxi not really maybe left over coins, restaurant is generally good service tip, bad service no tip, not really like America. 5-10% usually. If I went for a cheap and cheerful Thai where service was just take order and serve it, then small tip (if any) if was a bit more fancy and waiter did more of a job then I'd tip more.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭sudzs

I believe tips aren'rt really expected by restaurant/bar staff as they are pretty well paid (in comparison to UK or Ireland) But I think if your change is just a few coins, it's appreciated if you relinquish that!

Not sure about taxis...but if my fare was $9 I'd leave him or her with a tenner.

What's the story with hairdressers? I haven't been tipping there... :o

..forgot to mention I'm not in Sydney but out wesht!

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭LandoCalrissian

I'd only tip when you feel its warranted - it's nothing like the States

• Registered Users Posts: 38,920 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

As above, in the states, prices are low, wages are low, so tipping is expected, and you should imo.

Here the wages are better, prices higher etc. So its not expected.
    Bars, I'd never tip, except if the prices are near to a $5 say, I normally round the prices up. Not because I an generous, I just hate silver coins.

Generally, If the restaurant (like thai, pizza, or any low market place) is also a take away I don't tip.

A nice restaurant, with table service that i felt was decent. I tip.
    Bad service, I don't.

Taxis, again, I round up the bill if its near to a note amount, but I don't make a point of tipping.

Hairdressers. When my Barber charged $18 or $19 I gave him a $20. Now it's $20, I still give him a $20.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

sudzs wrote: »
    I believe tips aren'rt really expected by restaurant/bar staff as they are pretty well paid (in comparison to UK or Ireland)

..forgot to mention I'm not in Sydney but out wesht!

I work in a restaurant in melbourne and this ain't true. Generally our staff would expect around 10% if they looked after a table

If I'm running a bar tab I'll usually throw the bartender 10% as well - if they looked after us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭digiman

Sounds good, really wasn't sure at all, have tipped the taxi driver a couple of times if he was being nice and chatty and telling me some useful stuff. Haven't tipped in bars but wasn't sure it it was expected or not.

Advertisement