Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Furniture Restoration/Upholstery courses

• 25-08-2010 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi

Could someone please recommend a good furniture restoration or upholstery course. All the courses that I've come accross seem to be in the west of Ireland and as I'm based in Wexford thats no use. I don't mind travelling to Dublin/Waterford/Carlow/Kilkenny. If someone has done a good course I'd love to hear about is.

Cheers

Winster

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mbolger2001

Hi Winster,
    Did you find a course nearby in the end? I am having the same difficulty now.

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 tj123

Hi,
    hoping to start an upholstery courses in Waterford in the next month - was wondering if anyone else was doing it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 fionn78

Hi tj123, Im living in Waterford and interested in doing an upholstery course, could you tell me where and when the course is on? Ive been searching the internet for courses around the south east area but they seem to mostly be held in the west of Irl.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 winster

Hi

I would also be interested in this course so would love more info about it.

Cheers

Winster

• Registered Users Posts: 4 spatch1

hey i recently did a course in gorey community school in furniture restoration. it was tip top the guy teaching was A1 and actually qualified and working full time in restoration. he helped us source tools materials the whole lot from start to finish even now pop him an email he will help u out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Smokenfold

tj123 wrote: »
    Hi,
    hoping to start an upholstery courses in Waterford in the next month - was wondering if anyone else was doing it

I have been searching for a course but no joy, could you tell me where you are doing yours? :)

Hi guys
    sorry I didn't get back sooner - the details changed but finally the courses are going ahead - there are 2 courses being run in the waterford college of further education - mon and tue nights - one is in traditional upholstery and you bring your own furniture to upholster and the tue one is a course in making a headboard - everything is provided except the fabric so theoy should be fun - also if anyone is interested there will be courses starting for a qualification in upholstery also in waterford, where you can work through the 3 certs to become a junior upholsterer
    I'll let you know about the details when I find out
    Hope this is helpful
    tj

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Anarco

Hi there. who is giving the courses and how much do they cost? thanks

The courses are being run by the Waterford College of Further education, Parnell St., and are given by M&T Upholstery. The courses cost 165euro and you can register online at www.wcfe.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Lydsmcgov

Hi,
    Have registered for the Traditional Upholstery course due to start in CTI next week but course may not be going ahead as only 5 people have registered. Last day for applying is today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Mr. Mojo Risin

Hi, anyone know of a decent restoration course in Dublin? Would aim to start one in September if possible.
    Has anyone taken a course in Dublin (Kildare would suit either) and if so would they recommend it?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 gfoxyfox

Hi just wondered if anybody knew of an upholstery course running in Dublin. Just bought an old chair and want to do it up. Does anyone know of any good material shop which sell good fabric for upholstering my chair thanks Geraldine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭almostbroke

Hi....

theres a 6 week course run by Busy Bees Recycling on Crumlin Road....starting in September and held on Saturdays, costs €100.00....they're in the process of moving premises, so I'm not sure where it will end up being run. They also do a 6 week part time course in soft furnishings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 upstyle

Hi ....
    Looking to do an upcycling / upholstery course -part-time or evening time. Anyone any suggestions please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭rorobobo

I'm also looking for a part-time or weekend course in furniture restoration in the Dublin area. Any suggestions?

Found one in Clare but it's too far to be traveling: http://www.oldchairs.ie/event/beginners-upholstery-antique-restoration/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭rorobobo

Hi All, I haven't managed to find an evening or weekend course in the Dublin area yet but I'm not giving up
    Busy Bees Recycling on Crumlin Road have replied to me and no longer offer the course - in case people were thinking of contacting them

• Registered Users Posts: 39 adohar

rorobobo wrote: »
    Hi All, I haven't managed to find an evening or weekend course in the Dublin area yet but I'm not giving up
    Busy Bees Recycling on Crumlin Road have replied to me and no longer offer the course - in case people were thinking of contacting them

I'm also looking for a similar course in dublin but haven't had any luck yet in finding one. If you do find something, would you mind posting here pl. The guy with the fabric shop in the merchants market used to run one so if I'm down there again soon, I'll check in with him and see if he still runs them. I'll update here when I get in touch with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 adohar

adohar wrote: »
    I'm also looking for a similar course in dublin but haven't had any luck yet in finding one. If you do find something, would you mind posting here pl. The guy with the fabric shop in the merchants market used to run one so if I'm down there again soon, I'll check in with him and see if he still runs them. I'll update here when I get in touch with him.

Just to follow up - I met the guy at merchants market. He doesn't run his course anymore and doesn't know of anyone doing them in Dublin.
    If anyone finds somewhere, please post as I'm defo interested.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭mel o

An old thread but in case anyone is still looking, I found one in Blackrock.

http://media.wix.com/ugd/d24da2_3cf7498e131b42df8c8521e6b6eba62f.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭mel o

To update, this course was cancelled unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 ThinkPlus

Following thread

Looking for a course in Dublin if anyone has found anything.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1 JSVER

Hi. I know this thread is old but if anyone is still looking for information, the Rediscovery Centre in Ballymun runs courses in Furniture, Fashion and Bike Upcycling. They do courses in French Polishing, Furniture Upcycling, Pallet Tables, Furniture Restoration, Fashion Upcycling and bike maintenance. They also run environmental focused workshops for children. They list their current workshops on their website.

Advertisement