Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Anti Virus/firewall/spyware combo?

• 02-06-2007 5:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

1st post in a long time so apologies if this has been addressed before.

A chap I know who is an IT supervisor, in a company I'm familiar with has replaced all Norton products on their system with the AVG one. Using Ad Aware and some form of "Windows Repair Pro" (I googled and found XP Repair Pro, probably that) he finds it runs the full system a lot faster with much less problems than the previous Norton combo.

Just wondering has anyone else heard of/tried this?

I saw my sisters Norton subscription was up so instead of paying whatever it is per year now I thought I'd give the AVG a go, no problems yet. Updated her Ad-Aware and found 7 problems and fixed them, running like new now so I'm well chuffed.

Tried it on my mams laptop (About Windows 0.2 made from sticks, copper and some sand!) Deleted the expired anti-virus in it, (not Norton, some store installed type) downloaded and got rid of a fair bit of crap with Ad Aware, put AVG in, did all the restart thing and now my problem is this. Their laptops are faster than my pc. Ain't that a bitch?

On a real note though, has anyone tried the AVG/Adaware/anything else combo for permanent security and is it safe/recommended?

{end of proper message now, random thoughts follow}

If I can find a safe combination of a few programs that give good protection, I'd prefer that than having to update with the Symantec server every time I need to use my little part of my bandwidth ratio because symantec keep stealing all my bandwidth because some little gimp in a tree house in the Philippines is making a new virus, I've timed out before on pacific poker with pocket aces and the flop was K,A,K. Didn't cry but I was close even though it was only play money....if it was real money though I'd be doing time for assault or gbh!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Comodo Firewall Pro is pretty good and free. I have been using Avira Anti-vir for a few months as AVG broke during an update and Spybot-Search and Destroy for spyware/malware (using the resident Teatimer to track registry changes, etc), Ad-Aware and AVG Anti-spyware. Norton is a horrid piece of software, just a resource hog unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 I Shot J.R.

Cheers Ruu, not familiar with Comodo at all, will have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

I use avg free av all the time and I never get any viruses,
    I use Windows Defender for anti spyware etc (its actually pretty good)
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx

And I also use spyware blaster (not a detection program at such but its something you just run once and maybe update later, it blocks all the main places where spyware and things can enter your computer)
    Get it here
    http://www.download.com/SpywareBlaster/3000-8022-10196637.html?part=dl-SpywareBl&subj=dl&tag=button

And I also use adaware and run it ocasionaly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭ActorSeeksJob

comodo = one of the best firewalls you can get, and is free
    AVG anti-virus = excellent free anti-virus
    AVG anti-spyware = the best anti-spyware

using those three will keep your PC extremely safe for a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Mr Mojo

Avast Antivirus is also a very very good free anti-virus program, been using it for years without any problems, you can get the free home edition here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭martin84

Firewall: Zonealarm/Comodo
    Spyware: Adaware/Spybot
    AV: AVG/Avast

At work they have changed from Nortons to Trend. Works well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

Firewall: Zone-Alarm
    AV: AVG
    Spyware: Ad-aware

I haven't had a virus since i started using Zone-Alarm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭tak

Kaspersky Internet Security for the lot.

Only problems I have had was when I disabled it on "advice" of one or other fast & loose tech support people.

It puts you back €60 per year (or €80 for 2 years) but compared to cost of recovery that is small.

It does a start-up scan 2 mins after starting the PC. Then a daily update at some convenient time set by the user.

I'd say the fact that you are connecting with a poker site makes you a target for "the boys" . . .

Tak.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭srdb20

Me thinks someone works for "pchomehelp";)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I use AVG, Spybot and ad aware. I never get problems with viruses and hopefully never will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭higster

AV/Firewall: Zonealarm,,,used avg before...50:50 between the 2 but think will go back to avg...
    Spyware: Ad-aware & spybot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Maybe he can try paying for advertising?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

AntiVirus: AVG Free
    Firewall: Comodo Pro
    AntiSpyware: Spyware Blaster, AdAware, Spybot S&D, AVG AntiSpyware

Can't go wrong with all this... And it's all free! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭ActorSeeksJob

Could have done all that myself for free and probably better for you kellygav.

kaspersky is the best if you want to pay for an anti-virus for sure. I love SpywareGuard and SpywareBlaster, what amazing programs.

F-Secure Online Scanner is also very damn good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

Symantec Corparate 10.* Antivirus / malware etc...
    ISS BlackICE Firewall

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Using NOD32 on my main PC - its a bit awkward to use, but its very good. (AV Scanner btw)

Comodo Firewall Pro I use - mainly due to the link being in a signature of a user here, so I checked it out. So far so good, but iv never worried much about internet security (firewall wise).

Spyware - have Microsofts application installed, but rarley use it. Hard to come across spyware these days since switching to Mozilla products.

Advertisement