Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hardy Bucks - Season 2 - RTE 2 Monday nights

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Another great episode. Really enjoying this season.

The only enrolling I'll be doing, is into the bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭squonk

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Another great episode. Really enjoying this season.

The only enrolling I'll be doing, is into the bed.

Yeah, and the looks to the camera from the girl at the community college were priceless!! That episode was a gem! Eddie has as much of a chance of getting to the US as I have of winning the lotto!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭weemcd

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Might be because he's the worst actor of the lot of them. He tries but his line delivery is awful and he doesn't even have the deadpan hilarity of Salmon to make up for it.

The aul boo was probably my favourite on the web, I think buzz steals every scene he's involved in now though

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭briany

You may be right be right about Buzz except when the Viper is involved because the Viper can steal just about every scene he's in through force of personality if nothing else. The Viper's farcical obnoxiousness tends to beat out Buzz's farcical ignorance IMO :P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 the_shark

ricero wrote: »
    salmon deserves a spin off hes brilliant

He's some man for one man,knew him in college. dont know what way he's coming across to people but he's not 'acting', hes just as awkward in real life. its as if theyve taken bits of his life and wrote it into the show! good hearted lad all the same..

• Advertisement

the_shark wrote: »
    He's some man for one man,knew him in college. dont know what way he's coming across to people but he's not 'acting', hes just as awkward in real life. its as if theyve taken bits of his life and wrote it into the show! good hearted lad all the same..

I read an interview with Chris Torduff, I think it was, who plays the Viper and also co writes the show and he said that most of the people on Hardy Bucks had limited, if any, serious acting experience and are more or less playing themselves so it's no surprise that Salmon is really like that. It would be some act otherwise. :P

I think we all know or have known someone like Salmon but I like it. It's something a little bit different. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭AstridBean

My favourite Salmon moment has to be from the web series when he takes the mushies and is just like "I've takin' some mushies... fúckin' hell". Just something about his delivery is hilarious. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭bm1993

Very good again tonight. Thought Big Mick stole the show!!!

Very good episode again tonight. The scenes at the post-wedding do were very funny as was Viper's subplot. They don't need to undermine the Viper's character so much though because we all know that he is just a narcissistic dreamer posing comically as a hard man drug dealer and if it's pointed out too much then the character becomes less funny. TPB used a similar but quite a bit less heavy handed approach to it's equivalent of Viper, Cyrus, and it was all the funnier for it.

Mick was great in this episode. I liked Boo as well. I'm looking forward to the Christmas episode now. Its a stupid time to have it on though, 12:30AM Christmas day!

I keep looking for the 'gotcha' in the Salmon storyline! I really thought svetlana was going to head off with Alloysius but it's strange. Not the strongest episode I thought but as an episode that tied everything together it was great. The viper going around in his kaks was great too! He's a great character!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

I'm still laughing at the drive by head locks..:)

squonk wrote: »
    I keep looking for the 'gotcha' in the Salmon storyline! I really thought svetlana was going to head off with Alloysius but it's strange.

That would have been entirely predictable. It's so funny, the quiet disbelief people express as an aside when Salmon and Svetlana come up in conversation that they should just let that storyline go and go. Maybe they could have her go off with someone even more Salmon than Salmon but that's at a push.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭totoal

squonk wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to the Christmas episode now. Its a stupid time to have it on though, 12:30AM Christmas day!

Looks like a repeat hence late airing according to tvguide.co.uk

totoal wrote: »
    Looks like a repeat hence late airing according to tvguide.co.uk

Ah feck! I thought it was a brand new Christmas special :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Peter McA

What about the fight scene in the chipper between Eddie and the Viper, the Viper hasslin the bejaysus out of Eddie and the screaming I'm SORRRY, I', SORRY, SORRY!! before getting throttled and trying to act causal with curry sauce running down the side of his face, f ucking hilarious! if that was done in one take fair play to them as I'd be pissing meself laughing!.

Viper best character by a mile!

Peter McA wrote: »
    What about the fight scene in the chipper between Eddie and the Viper, the Viper hasslin the bejaysus out of Eddie and the screaming I'm SORRRY, I', SORRY, SORRY!! before getting throttled and trying to act causal with curry sauce running down the side of his face, f ucking hilarious! if that was done in one take fair play to them as I'd be pissing meself laughing!.

Viper best character by a mile!

That was very funny. Viper was so shook up. F*ckin' shtaate ov'im man.

Absolutely love this show. The series and web episodes really ring true as a send off of life in a small Irish town.
    Will there be more episodes? I assume this is the sort of programme RTE love since it is made on a shoestring budget.

I hope that the series continues. It all depends on whether the creators want to continue I suppose. The series has been a success so I can't see RTE rejecting another batch of episodes. Trailer Park Boys hit their greatest form in their 3rd run so I'd imagine HB will follow a similar arc. Programs like this tend to peak early because they're all about finding the absurd in the mundane and once you use up the ideas there then it's onto the zanier stuff and with that the loss of the edge that was there in the beginning.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

ronoc wrote: »
    Absolutely love this show. The series and web episodes really ring true as a send off of life in a small Irish town.
    Will there be more episodes? I assume this is the sort of programme RTE love since it is made on a shoestring budget.
    Apparently RTE are vetoing a good chunk of the stuff they come up with, you can see it with their Youtube channel, some of the best stuff is on there.

I think RTE should really get behind them as you say it's cheap and popular what's not to like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

Opinion on this show seems very polarised; people either seem to love it or hate it, with very few middle of the roaders, it seems to me. It's be interesting to see a poll on this, mods.

Gael wrote: »
    Opinion on this show seems very polarised; people either seem to love it or hate it, with very few middle of the roaders, it seems to me. It's be interesting to see a poll on this, mods.

I can take it or leave it. It's not something I'd go out of my way to watch but if it comes on and I'm not waiting to watch anything else I'll leave it on. There's the odd laugh to be had and the Viper is good fun but it feels like an Irish redux of The Trailer Park Boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

I can take it or leave it. It's not something I'd go out of my way to watch but if it comes on and I'm not waiting to watch anything else I'll leave it on. There's the odd laugh to be had and the Viper is good fun but it feels like an Irish redux of The Trailer Park Boys.

To be fair, that's hardly a bad thing.

And on a third series, they're referencing 'taking ideas for the next series' on their (pretty fantastically written, it has to be said) Facebook page so I'd assume they've at minimum got a understanding of another series: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hardy-Bucks/104117230526

As has been said, RTÉ should really just let them as loose as humanly possible on tv. With acts like the Rubberbandits all over RTÉ nowadays the threshold should be pretty high, especially for a show that's found real traction with people.

So when is the Christmas special on? They directly referenced it in the link after the last episode but I've searched all over the listings and RTE.ie and I can't find any mention of it.

Syferus wrote: »

To be fair, that's hardly a bad thing.

So when is the Christmas special on? They directly referenced it in the link after the last episode but I've searched all over the listings and RTE.ie and I can't find any mention of it.

I think it was just a repeat of last years one. It was on last week, think it was Christmas Eve.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Gael wrote: »
    I like it, I think there's a lot wrong with it that's not just down to a small budget but overall it's a great show for RTE to be showing as it's something away from the norm for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

Is there any reason this is not on the RTE player, or can I just not see it as I am outside of Ireland?

harney wrote: »
    Is there any reason this is not on the RTE player, or can I just not see it as I am outside of Ireland?

I think RTE Player is geographically locked so only people in Ireland can watch it. Besides, the episodes only stay there for a specific amount of time after they have been aired, a few weeks or so. You can find the entire series on DVD or you can find it elsewhere online, but I can't go into the latter too much if you know what I mean.

I just wanted to post a classic HB clip that I only came across now. Shame, but anyway it's King of the Town; Buzz and The Viper doing a comical voice over on a cagefighting clip.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

has improved hugely. first time i watched since the cringe days

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭NedTermo

The Viper is doing live audio commentary on the All Ireland Final on Sunday on his Mixlr page.
    http://mixlr.com/viper-higgins/

Should be a laugh.

• Advertisement

NedTermo wrote: »
    The Viper is doing live audio commentary on the All Ireland Final on Sunday on his Mixlr page.
    http://mixlr.com/viper-higgins/

Should be a laugh.

Should be gas alright.

If anyone is interested in looking at a short interview with the man behind the Viper and Hardy Bucks, have a look at this link and skip to about 2.50 in.

http://vimeo.com/19635786

Advertisement