Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New bus stops on SSG-North

• 01-12-2011 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,218 ✭✭✭

I spotted these bus stop poles on St. Stephens Green North a while ago - they're a little different to the normal ones. I presume there was a dispute between DCC/DB/OPW which is why they're not on the footpath any more but surely they'll come to a nasty end the first time a bus driver misjudges the location of his bus? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The footpaths around St Stephen's Green are owned by the OPW - nothing to do with DCC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Bazzer2

Isn't that what the OP mentioned?

The OPW come across as elitist as to not allow a shaggin' bus stop pole on publicly-owned property.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,218 ✭✭✭markpb

lxflyer wrote: »
    The footpaths around St Stephen's Green are owned by the OPW - nothing to do with DCC.

The bus stops used to be on the OPW-owned footpath though - the photo shows that. I wonder why there was a change of heart?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BenShermin

[searches for bus stop of the month series thread]...

Bazzer2 wrote: »
    Isn't that what the OP mentioned?

The OPW come across as elitist as to not allow a shaggin' bus stop pole on publicly-owned property.

Just pointing out the distinction.

It is utterly daft.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Jehuty42

Jesus christ that's hilarious. The perfect storm of quango nonsense. I eagerly await AlekSmart's take on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭KD345

You would hope a busy stop like this would be Kassel Kerb. As that photo shows, any wheelchair passenger, and indeed bus driver, has to negotiate a bendy bus stop, a concrete pillar and a low footpath.

Meanwhile around the corner, there is a Luas station built onto the footpath complete with ticket machine, signage and railings.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

lxflyer wrote: »
    The footpaths around St Stephen's Green are owned by the OPW
    They're not owned by the OPW, they're owned by the public and in the care of the OPW.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Saw that the other day. If the reason is some lack of coordination between state bodies, then that's ridiculous. In fact, it's ridiculous no matter what the reason is.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭richard2010

Thats bent!! (Sorry couldnt resist!) :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

That's one of the most blatantly stupid things I've ever seen!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

-Chris- wrote: »
    That's one of the most blatantly stupid things I've ever seen!!

A big +100 to that Chris.

However to those who have followed the codology at St Stephens Green North over the years it's merely more of the same.

I note that some of the private operators either made a donation to the OPW's Christmas Party Fund or told the same OPW to go and Flúich themselves (Choose only one) as some Private Bus Stops remain on the footpath closer to the Horse Trough.

It's also worth pointing out that the OPW appears not be be bound by the various pieces of legislation governing disability in this Republic,as they have resolutely refused to remove or alter the positioning of their stone bollards to allow safe access to fully-accesible Bus Services...let them eat cake,I suppose is their motto ?

The City Council play a part also,as they steadfastly refused to delete 10 Pay n Display parking spaces to allow for 11 mtr Tri-Axle buses to do their thing in safety rather than having to attempt miracles dodging parked cars and equally parked Taxi's.

Quite what Bus Atha Cliath are doing playing along with this crackpottery is beyond me.

However,I suspect that once the OPW's Christmas Party fund is suitably topped up the original Stops will re-appear,particularly as the true-form bases remain in situ....;)

However,the issue provides graphic evidence of just why this country is in the current mess....can one even begin to imagine just how much Official Time and Effort went into this...and how little actual consideration has actually been given to the poor bloody clowns who use Public Transport and dare to walk pn that hallowed footpath...the bloody cheek of them !!!!!! :(

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

The country is on the bones of its backside and bailiffs are putting people out on the streets and those highly paid bastards wasters are costing us a absolute fortune with their nonsense, interdepartmental bickering and bullsh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

The placing of bus stops and their signs is not a matter for either the OPW or Dublin City Council. It is a matter for the Garda and the operator. It is an offence to interfere with a bus stop sign.

(Road Traffic Act, Section 86)

The placing of bus stops and their signs is not a matter for either the OPW or Dublin City Council. It is a matter for the Garda and the operator. It is an offence to interfere with a bus stop sign.

This is indeed true,in all but a few circumstances,but I fear St Stephens Green North may be one of these.

The OPW have something of a History in relation to "facilitating" the public in whose trust they act,particularly those ordinary folk who use Public Transport.

Some people with particularly long memories may well recall the awfulness which surrounded Tour Buses being allowed to drive (Absolutely NO stopping mind you !)up to the Papal Cross in the Phoenix Park....:D

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

As I understand it the OPW have final say on anything being placed on the external footpaths around the Green.

This came up before when the LUAS works were in the planning.

Although why (after 7 years of the current layout) this nonsense is now happening I have no idea!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,218 ✭✭✭markpb

I'll see your section 86 and raise you RTA 2002 S16 :)
    A person operating or proposing to operate a bus service may apply to the road authority in whose functional area the service is being or will be operated for a direction under this section and the authority may, if it so thinks fit, after consultation with the person, give a direction specifying such points for stopping places, and places for stands, for buses as it considers appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I am open to correction on this, but as far as I know, this section was never brought into operation. (It was certainly not in operation in April.)

Anyway, this has to do with the location of bus stops, not the location of bus stop signs which appears to be the issue at St Stephen's Green.

I am open to correction on this, but as far as I know, this section was never brought into operation. (It was certainly not in operation in April.)

Anyway, this has to do with the location of bus stops, not the location of bus stop signs which appears to be the issue at St Stephen's Green.

Funnily enough,both elements come into play at this specific location.

Although I accept,in the case of Swords Express the wheelchair access issue does not arise,it most certainly does in the SSG North case being described here.

What we have endured up to now is a series of fully accessible Bus Services being quite deliberately frustrated in their ability to meet the legal and social requirements of the Disability Act.

It appears that the OPW had no actual control over the allocation of Bus Stop Space,ie: the space on the public carriageway,but were not going to actively assist the principle of full accessibility on their own area of responsibility.

Thus,although a very popular and busy location,the standard requirements for accessible and tactile kerbing appear to be considered,in some way,anti the OPW ethos.

I have on many occasions,had to arrange assistance for a wheelchair bound regular passenger to safely leave my bus at this point as the absence of proper kerbside facilities results in the Ramp being deployed at an acute angle totally unsuitable for a large,powered wheelchair.

In any properly constituted forward thinking Society,a public entity such as the Office of Public Works would have been keen to lead from the front on such issues,however going on the evidence visible on a daily basis here,this particular Public Body appears to prefer holding-the-line against these new-fangled rights based issues ?

Advertisement