Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any racing rigs/setups around?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭CRM Ireland

WOW!

That is just awesome to look at. Youre making me want to extend mine a bit and fill in the box sections....

Getting in and out would be a little tough, you would be tempted to put weight on the steering wheel to ease access and it probably wouldnt last very long if you did.

Is that going to be made from metal? What will you use for the panels?

I have a really important question which I asked last night on GTPlanet, but no-one has answered me yet and Im hoping to be able to get a seat today if possible.

There is someone near here selling BMW E36 Mtec seats, the only thing is that all of the adjustments, including backwards and forwards, are electronic. How would I go about connecting that up to a 240V supply? Is this going to involve some expensive kind of voltage changer. Im useless at electronics, so if you know the answer, please explain as if to a child!

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭c0rn3y

@CRM Ireland: Frame will be made out of metal and the side panels will be made out of MDF I think.

I'm not sure what voltage that kind of chair takes but I bet it's 12v because that is what the battery can give, the amps is a different question. Can't see it pulling more than 2-3amps. You should be able to use a old power supply from a computer, just guessing but around 250-400w should do just fine. Not sure about any of this, its just guess work. But should work just fine =)

So does a PSU from a pc downstep the voltage to 12v? I didnt know that.... :)

Yeah your internal hardware e.g. hard-drives and cd/dvd-rom drives run on 12v.

c0rn3y wrote: »
    @CRM Ireland: Frame will be made out of metal and the side panels will be made out of MDF I think.

I'm not sure what voltage that kind of chair takes but I bet it's 12v because that is what the battery can give, the amps is a different question. Can't see it pulling more than 2-3amps. You should be able to use a old power supply from a computer, just guessing but around 250-400w should do just fine. Not sure about any of this, its just guess work. But should work just fine =)

Ive spent hours all day trying to find out about this. Apparently the BMW seats have a 30A fuse! So I would need to find a PSU that provided 360W on the 12V rail.

I suppose this isnt all that hard to do, I was imagining it would be a hell of a lot more complicated than that. The most annoying factor is having to spend more money. If Im honest, its only really going to be me using this, so Im unlikely to be needing to adjust it very much. It all comes down to when I get a reply about the seats if I go electric, or hold out for manual ones.

My impatience is getting the better of me, Im back to work tomorrow and Ive done almost no work on the rig in the last 2 days.

• Advertisement

A small update for tonight. I found a tool, went online and typed in the model and discovered it was a router. A few videos on youtube later and out I went to try it out.

Ive added a top to rig for the monitor to sit on, just behind the wheel. I will have to cut out the shape of the steering wheel as its not being attached to the MDF I just cut, its being attached to the angled piece which is already painted black and secured in place.

I also cut a long piece of MDF which will box in the wheel deck and the monitor deck, in essence it will be like a very thin dashboard. This will allow me to cut a few holes in it to attach some switches I have and I can use that to operate wipers, ignition and all that kind of thing.

Not heard back from the guy with the photos of the seat yet. Im back at work tomorrow, Im travelling from Drogheda up to Castleblainey, so I might just pass a scrap yard on the way which has a decent seat I can use.

HItachiM8Router.jpg
    Monitordesk.jpg

I went to a scrap yard in Ardee and found a seat. The choice was terrible, most cars were in a total state and anything that looked like it might have decent seats had been raided long ago! Also as a lot of the cars had wonky windows, or windows that were not shut properly, a lot of the seats had been ruined.

Anyway I did end up getting a SAAB 9-3 half leather seat which is fully manually operated. Its grey leather and a sort of white/cream material part. Its pretty grubby and is going to take a fair bit of cleaning up. There is a fair bit of mildew on the leather, but that should come off easily enough. I paid 50euros for it. I tried to get it for less, but he wouldnt budge at all, even when I feigned walking away :(

I have to collect it tomorrow as he was just about to close when I had chosen the seat. When I get there tomorrow he will have taken the car out from where it is with a fork lift and then removed the seat for me including the rails. Considering the locking mechanism in the passenger door isnt working, its probably going to take him a fair bit of time, so maybe 50E aint so bad after all!

I will post up some pics tomorrow when I get it.

Anyone got any advice on the best way to deep clean the seat? I dont have a steam cleaner or anything like that. I also dont want to spend a fortune buying products which promise the earth, but are in fact pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭M00lers

I grabbed some Autoglym Interior shampoo from Halfords for about 8 euros when cleaning my own seat and I have to say it's good stuff, seat came out really well and it smells luverly!!:rolleyes:

I collected the seat today and you can see its quite a state. After looking at the price of buying/renting a wet vacuum cleaner, I decided to get it valeted. It cost me 20EUR and there is a huge difference.

The seat is ridiculously comfy, Im delighted with it! The little pocket at the front is a bonus!

Its still drying at the moment in my garden, but I took a pic anyway.

seatdryingaftercleaning.jpg

Here is a photo comparing it before and after cleaning. 20EUR well spent? I think so!

seatcomparison.jpg

Got a few of the intricate bits done today. I also gave it a second coat of paint. My hands are currently still covered in the stuff despite my best efforts to clean my hands!

Ive made the pieces for the dashboard and used a drill and the router to cut it down at the back for the switches. I dont have enough switches for the amount of holes Ive made, but I thought I may as well get the work done while all the tools were out as I will get more switches soon. I have to order 300R resistors anyway, so until then, the switches will not be wired up. They are just decorational at the moment.

I also drilled all the mounting points for the wheel etc, so it will be hard mounted. I also attached the monitor deck and painted it. I cut-out the wheel shape from the monitor deck and you can see that the cooling vents on the back of the wheel are perfectly clear, so there wont be any over-heating issues to resolve. This was more by luck than forward planning.

The dashboard which has the switches attached to it was screwed on upside down, so you can see its not fitting properly. I will turn that the right way around tomorrow. Im so annoyed with myself for doing that because I was struggling to screw it together in alignment and now I can see why. It makes the entire thing look awful. So it will be flush tomorrow for a fact!

Here is the monitor deck on.
    sideonoftopdeckattached.jpg
    I had to put some wedges in to secure it all. The wedges next to the wheel have been chopped down a bit to allow fopr switch cabling in the future.
    topdeckscrewedon.jpg
    Here its all been painted.
    sideonwithmonitorstandpainted.jpg
    Trying out the switches after drilling some holes.
    switchesfixedtodashboard.jpg
    Ive now painted the small part of the dashboard and you can see where Ive used the router to allow the switches to be screwed into place. I know its not all that neat, but its out of sight so isnt all the important.
    routeddashboard.jpg
    This is the front of it.
    routeddashboardfront.jpg
    Ive put all the switches onto the other side. Dashboards now attached, still to paint the screws to hide them.
    dashboardattached.jpg
    You can see what I meant about it being attached upside down. Schoolboy error.
    dashboardswitches.jpg

So its starting to take shape. The dashboard, apart from not being lined up properly on the right hand side, is looking a lot better than I thought it would. Its nice and simple. I much prefer this to a chunky buttonbox which doesnt look integrated with the cockpit.

• Advertisement

I went back today (after Andy Murray destroyed Federer to take the gold!) to fix that right hand piece of the dashboard. Its now all mounted properly. I also added my pedals and I secured the gear selector.

Ive painted the screws to keep it all black and I was hoping to bring it in to setup on my computer. Any further work could be done in the house.

DISASTER!!! It weighs an absolute ton. I cant move it at all.....I will have to remove the seat and I really dont want to, that thing was ridiculously difficult to attach. It wasnt a case of simply fastening with 4 bolts to the rails. The rails were not flat, they had all kinds of weird metal brackets under them that I had to cut around on the base. Also the runners are not the same length. I nearly rounded off a couple of screws while attaching it.

I have no choice though, otherwise it will be staying in the garage!

cockpitnearcompletion.jpg

Here is the drivers eye view.

fromdriversviewside.jpg

angledswitchesmonitor.jpg

I went into my house after looking about for some kind of wheeled device to help carry the weight of the rig. Nothing. I was gutted and shut up the garage for the night. Then a EUREKA moment! I ran into the garage again and took one of the huge blue plastic pipes and cut it into 5 pieces. I was going to roll this like they did in ancient times. Except rolling it over rough ground wasnt so easy, it actually slid along the length of the plastic really easily. So thats what I did. With the light fading fast (you can see the darkness as Im just entering the kitchen) I shoved this thing all over the place and managed to get it into my computer room.

I have just had a shot of it and its fantastic. I have to put my pedals much lower though as I measured it with big walking boots on that I was wearing while doing the build. I never realised just how big they were until I tried it in my socks!

I know these are quite boring photos, but its what allowed me to single-handedly get this heavyweight rig into my house over rough ground and up 1 foot on height.

There are of course a few finishing touches to be done and I'll do them as soon as I get the pieces I need.

I have to say, Im gobsmacked at how well this has turned out. If Id been shown this at someones house Id never have believed Id have been able to make this on my own.

Id like to thank everyone who has given me advice in the thread and also a very special thanks to Wayside over on GTPlanet.com for so kindly providing his sketchup plans that enabled me to build this.

Extremely strong pipe cut into pieces with the jigsaw.
    step1.jpgstep2.jpg
    Now the akward bit of raising it up onto the decking to get it in the kitchen doors.
    step3.jpg
    Light is fading fast here as I prepare to slide it into the house.
    step4.jpg
    Sideways and Im inside at last.
    step5.jpg
    Entering the warmth of the kitchen.
    step6.jpg
    Hmmm now this isnt going to fit so easy...
    step7.jpg
    This should do the trick.
    step8.jpg
    and finally, I thought Id never see this done today, sitting ready to go!
    step9.jpg

THANK YOU!

@CRM Ireland: So very impressed man. That button box idea is very cool. And the way you moved it was even cooler hehe. When I am done with my rig I will have to take it through a window on the second floor to get it in, wont fit up my stairs haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Squidwert

LOL i built mine in the room(attic) i knew i would not get it up the stairs :D. it was a nightmare to clean up but it saved me moving it.

@Squidwert: I was thinking about doing the same thing and building my new one inside the room, but then it ht me... it could be hard to ever move again with a metal frame hehe.

While I am waiting to build my new rig I needed something for my keyboard and mouse on my PVC rig. My landlord dropped by the other day and gave me a box full of PVC fittings, so I tried to make a keyboard & mouse holder with what I could find in that box.

Sorry about the bad pictures (and all the mess), I will take better ones =)

20120821_064434.jpg

20120821_064418.jpg

20120821_064401.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭katana1

CRM Ireland --thats an awesome job - Well thought out and the finished product is amazing.you must be really proud of yourself...
    Well done.

coRn3y --- nice of your landlord :) they have really made a difference --looks awesome m8.

katana1 wrote: »
    Well I'm 90% finished. I just have to finish bracket for gearshift.Also a few paint touch ups etc.Thanks for all the ideas guys. I know that it's homemade but I'm really looking forward to hooking it up next weekend.
    Well thanks to this thread and your ideas-- I finally made something.:)

About the 20mm box. If you have a good lot of it you could do something like the frames on older ducati bikes --it would make it good and strong. If you are welding it make sure you brace it all over as 20mm box would go all over the place with heat.Stagger weld it is best..I learned the hard way when I tried to make my front gates :o

My rig was nice and neat --then I had to use whole thing as desk and its hidden in this mess::D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

This looks like a neat product.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 ciaranie

G27. Inverted pedals and handbrake mod. Sequential mod next and a bigger monitor.

Hey ciaranie

Are you just driving on GT5 or are you on PC also. Nice setup by the way.

I'm going redesign my screen in the next couple of days to look more like this. I'll post pic's when finished. It should look great in 3D till the Oculus rift is out.

Squidwert wrote: »
    Hey ciaranie

Are you just driving on GT5 or are you on PC also. Nice setup by the way.

I'm going redesign my screen in the next couple of days to look more like this. I'll post pic's when finished. It should look great in 3D till the Oculus rift is out.

That looks brillant. Rfactor is one of the best sims. I've nothing that good. GT5, Richard Burns Rally and Rfactor's what I have. My pc's graphic card needs a upgrade so mostly play GT5 but Richard Burns Rally is the most realistic in my opinion.

Look forward to seeing your pics when finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Totally doing that projector setup when I FINALLY get to making my RaceBase.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevin2me

Cool thread all, Not exactly Driving Rig but it counts :)
    Sega Rally never gets old... :)

IMAG0249.jpg

And here bro's sorry attempt, not too shabby so far :) Full car dash!!
    car.jpg

RSRBR2013

Any body know if rsrbr2013 will run on the following laptop:

Intel Celeron single core B815 processor.
    1.6GHz processor speed.
    6GB DDR3 RAM memory.
    1000GB SATA hard drive.
    Microsoft Windows 7 Premium.
    Display features:
    15.6 inch widescreen display.
    High definition display.
    Resolution 1366 x 768 pixels.
    DVD optical drives:
    DVD+RW/DVD-RW(read/write).
    Dual layer.
    Graphics:
    Shared graphics.
    Intel with 1695MB memory.
    Interfaces and connectivity:
    5-in-1 media card reader.
    Secure Digital (SD), Multi-Media Card (MMC) compatible.
    3 USB ports.
    1 Ethernet port.
    1 HDMI port.
    Wi-Fi enabled.
    Multi-media features:
    1MP VGA built-in webcam.
    Built-in mic.

Thinking of getting laptop instead of pc.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

kevin2me wrote: »
    Cool thread all, Not exactly Driving Rig but it counts :)
    Sega Rally never gets old... :)

IMAG0249.jpg

And here bro's sorry attempt, not too shabby so far :) Full car dash!!
    car.jpg

G25 on an Xbox 360? Using adaptors or??

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Squidwert wrote: »
    It should look great in 3D till the Oculus rift is out.
    That looks excellent, if it's around the $300 mark it would be great. I've been waiting for one of these for decades! I don't understand why they haven't come back into fashion quicker.

I've been seriously thinking about a rig but the cost was just way to high. I've already spent a lot on my PC and a big projector but I couldn't sacrifice any of that stuff to make the rig. I was looking at the prospect of buying a lot of new hardware to make the rig. The Oculus opens up a whole load of new possibilities.

ScumLord wrote: »
    That looks excellent, if it's around the $300 mark it would be great. I've been waiting for one of these for decades! I don't understand why they haven't come back into fashion quicker.

I've been seriously thinking about a rig but the cost was just way to high. I've already spent a lot on my PC and a big projector but I couldn't sacrifice any of that stuff to make the rig. I was looking at the prospect of buying a lot of new hardware to make the rig. The Oculus opens up a whole load of new possibilities.

Yea i'll be selling the projector and getting a monitor and rift. We'll find out in a few weeks if it's as good as i hope it is.

• Advertisement

Added triple screens to my rig yesterday, I have to make something better to put the screens on so what you see in the picture in only temporary.

triple.jpg

Advertisement