Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Action Figure Collecting

• 05-02-2012 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭

Anybody do it ?? Feel like im the only one in Ireland but theres hundreds or forums about it and i rarely see other irish people

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Raditub

my boyfriend has been collecting for years now!!! Very expensive hobby i must say ;) I mean he's french and always goes to conventions and so on...there must be the same thing in Ireland?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭snowserpeant

no you are not the only 1.i collect transformers,starwars and gi joe / action force.i even have the odd super hero figure and the odd gobot thrown into the mix.i have a whole wardrobe full of transformers and about 300 star wars and gi joe / action force figures and several vechilles too.some loose on display and some still packaged:):D:)

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭49ers fan

Star wars collector myself, vintage figures, loose and carded. Find them hard enough to pick up off sales forums in Ireland. Going to invasion Dublin in may so might pick up a few pieces there:). Sold most of my other action figures, ateam action force, he man, recently to focus on my Star wars collection. I have a vintage Rambo figure if anyone is interested in a trade?

you will defo find figures at invasion.im a former member of the emerald garrison and i was "working" at invasion dublin last year and i must have spent about 200 euro on action figures there so you you will have more than enough chances to pick up some figures:D

you will defo find figures at invasion.im a former member of the emerald garrison and i was "working" at invasion dublin last year and i must have spent about 200 euro on action figures there so you you will have more than enough chances to pick up some figures:D

Did you pick up vintage stuff there, Figures, Vehicles etc...I Was at Invasion back in 2010 alright, but my recollection was it was a lot of Modern SW stuff as opposed to Vintage? in fairness it was the Sunday afternoon so a lot was probably sold. Got a weekend ticket this time around so will be there first thing to see whats on offer

• Advertisement

yeah there was a fair bit of the original vintage stuff there aswell as the modern / new "vintage collection".if you go on the first day you will defo have a good chance,however be aware that the vintage stuff is qiute expensive these days esp if it is still packaged but im sure you know that already...there was also 1 or 2 dealers from northern ireland there and they would take both euros and sterling so that mite be something to keep in mind:D:)

Raditub wrote: »
    my boyfriend has been collecting for years now!!! Very expensive hobby i must say ;) I mean he's french and always goes to conventions and so on...there must be the same thing in Ireland?!?!
    check out invasion.ie:)

49ers fan wrote: »
    Star wars collector myself, vintage figures, loose and carded. Find them hard enough to pick up off sales forums in Ireland. Going to invasion Dublin in may so might pick up a few pieces there:). Sold most of my other action figures, ateam action force, he man, recently to focus on my Star wars collection. I have a vintage Rambo figure if anyone is interested in a trade?
    as im also a fan of transformers and gi joe i am working on a project.im planning on getting a tank [which i got yesterday],transport military truck,humvee,attack helicopter and a jet fighter all in 1/18 scale...then put some cobra / decepticon cross over emblems and display the vechiles as the transformers g1 combaticons in alt mode disguised as cobra vechilles

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

as im also a fan of transformers and gi joe i am working on a project.im planning on getting a tank [which i got yesterday],transport military truck,humvee,attack helicopter and a jet fighter all in 1/18 scale...then put some cobra / decepticon cross over emblems and display the vechiles as the transformers g1 combaticons in alt mode disguised as cobra vechilles

Hasbro themselves did something similar with Starscream, but all of the combaticons is ambitious :) If you don't know, reprolabels should be able to supply you with those faction logos and possibly some other nice stickers to help out.

is that the gi joe / transformers cross over convention exclusive that is the skystriker with starscream markings with a cobra commander pilot who is armed with a scale megatron gun?...i actually got the labels from cobra stickers.com:)

• Advertisement

yeah there was a fair bit of the original vintage stuff there aswell as the modern / new "vintage collection".if you go on the first day you will defo have a good chance,however be aware that the vintage stuff is qiute expensive these days esp if it is still packaged but im sure you know that already...there was also 1 or 2 dealers from northern ireland there and they would take both euros and sterling so that mite be something to keep in mind:D:)

Excellent, Yeah some of the Vintage stuff can be pricey enough, as i'm only getting back into it the carded figures dont have to be minty, so i'm not spending silly money........just yet;). Thanks for the tip about the Sterling might bring some along so.

I have started up a thread on the Star Wars forum on Boards.ie for Vintage Star Wars figure collecting/collectors, Just if people are interested, Putting up a few photos of collection, latest purchases etc...:D

nice 1...have you ever heard of or seen original sw figures and vechilles in palitoy packaging as opposed to kenner packaging:D

Yeah absolutely, Palitoy was the British toy company that held the Licence for Star Wars toys in the UK. They released the Kenner Star Wars figures on their own Card backs which sell for big/huge/crazy money... these days. If you look at the thread Tro1 put on here about his cousins SW collection you can see what the looked like. Myself i have a Lobot figure with Palitoy backing card and will hopefully add a Luke Skywalker, Bespin, Palitoy backing card to my collection this week:D

Heres the Palitoy, Lobot Card back I have......:) Its a bit of a beater, but sure it only cost a couple of euro...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Mostly Marvel Legends and Wrestling figure collector myself, Was at Invasion down in cork a few year quite enjoyed it, but I'd love to see something like a proper comic con in Ireland, would probaly make the trip up to Dublin for that,

and there was a tonne of vintage SW figs at invasion too I was one of the first there though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭MarkHall

Invaision is always a good laugh.

If you do end up around Dublin.

http://www.facebook.com/DublinCityComics
    Is the best shop in the city for Action figure collectors. It used to be the one on Crows corner.

Plenty of similarly minded folks about it.

nice pic.i would say thats quite rare these days

MarkHall wrote: »
    Invaision is always a good laugh.

If you do end up around Dublin.

http://www.facebook.com/DublinCityComics
    Is the best shop in the city for Action figure collectors. It used to be the one on Crows corner.

Plenty of similarly minded folks about it.
    yep.i was working at invasion dublin last year..great fun and i buy most of my collectables in dublin city comics and collectables,i know the lads in there very well

Mostly Marvel Legends and Wrestling figure collector myself, Was at Invasion down in cork a few year quite enjoyed it, but I'd love to see something like a proper comic con in Ireland, would probaly make the trip up to Dublin for that,

and there was a tonne of vintage SW figs at invasion too I was one of the first there though ;)

1 thing i dont like from star wars are the clones from the "clone wars" range.they are too skiny,too tall,body sculpt is way off and they even look cheap.compare to a clone from the legacy collection or saga legends and you will see what i mean...put it this way..they are supposed to be wearing armour and i have seen non armoured figures that have better sculpts than the clones,in fact i would go so far as to say i hate them

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭j14

I collect Sideshow 1/6th Star Wars and I also customise my own 1/6th figures.

They are quite hard to come by in Ireland at a decent price.

Here is an older shot of my stuff.

Detolfs.jpg

another:

fett.jpg

One of my favourites:

Sideshow009.jpg

I have added Hammerhead and a background to this one since the phote was taken.

han.jpg

a newer one.

sandies11.jpg

• Advertisement

thats a nice display you have there,im loving the boba fett.i have actually met mr jeremey bullock a few times.i have a book called "the mandolorian armour" signed by him,its book 1 of "the bounty hunter wars" trilogy.i also have a star wars card back with a picture of him on the front wearing the costume and carrying his rifle and helmet.its done in the old kenner "empire strikes back" style but where it should say empire strikes back it actually says "emerald garrison".i got it back when i was a member of that star wars costume club.jeremey bullock is an honorary member:D

Great Display j14....Here's how my small Star Wars Display is coming along, Carded and Loose Vintage figures:)
    file.php?id=2381

nice:D

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭j14

My Newest purchase on the top!

collection.jpg

Its fairly hefty!

thats very nice indeed.i would imagine its quite expensive too.i just went on the net and bought a few bits and piecies.from action force i got a loose fn fal /slr rifle for my z-force captain,sas force pilot with green visor,sas force pilot with yellow visor,midnight patrol figure [same as sas pilot figure mould but with different colour helmet and back pack and mp5 smg],boxed and complete sas force silent attack.from gi joe 25th annaversary a cobra hiss tank with urban camo cobra trooper driver,a rise of cobra eel with wave crusher jet-ski type of vechille and from world peace keeper range a jungle camo humvee:D

Some awesome stuff there lads must get a video of my collection up later theres just too much to photograph

what is your favorite piece that you have:D

Hmmm I'm not sure if im honest I have a Marvel Masterworks Sentinel hes pretty class probaly one of my favourites another would be my defining moments Bret Hart figure couldn't possible single out one though

that sentienal sounds preet sweet:)

• Advertisement

Will try and get a video up later but for now chec out my youtube channel have reviews and stuff on there http://www.youtube.com/user/09brianregan?feature=mhee

Advertisement