Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Papers" PDF organizer

• 09-08-2008 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭

Currently only for Mac but this program is extraordinary for organizing PDFs. Started using it last week and have been very impressed. Works beautifully with Endnote.

http://mekentosj.com/papers/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

A PC version would be nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Professor_Fink

Try JabRef. It's a java bibliography oorganizer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

Zotero is another one I've seen used. A plugin for Firefox and another for MS Word for CWYW. Has just as much functionality as Papers, or so I'm told, but it's FREE!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Zotero gets a second recommendation from me. Free is always nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Professor_Fink

I should have mentioned that JabRef is free too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I should have mentioned that JabRef is free too.

After taking a glance at it, libraries are for the most part interchangeable between it and Zotero (Zotero leaves you export as BibTeX). Zotero can grab citations straight from search pages/article entries in JStor or ScienceDirect etc. or from college libraries catalogues which would possibly make it a bit handier for many people. Even as just a place to store links to papers that look interesting but that you don't have time to read when you come across them would make Zotero fairly useful to many people I imagine.

I'd recommend it to most people as a convenient place to organise things, and if you want you can export to BibTex and import it into many other organisers if you find something else that suits you better without having to work out the bibliography from scratch again.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Sonderval

Thumbs up for Papers too!

Can't wait for them to implement pdf highlighting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

nesf wrote: »
    After taking a glance at it, libraries are for the most part interchangeable between it and Zotero (Zotero leaves you export as BibTeX). Zotero can grab citations straight from search pages/article entries in JStor or ScienceDirect etc. or from college libraries catalogues which would possibly make it a bit handier for many people. Even as just a place to store links to papers that look interesting but that you don't have time to read when you come across them would make Zotero fairly useful to many people I imagine.

I'd recommend it to most people as a convenient place to organise things, and if you want you can export to BibTex and import it into many other organisers if you find something else that suits you better without having to work out the bibliography from scratch again.

Just to throw in the auld 'there's an app for that' comment..

zotero scanner lets you scan any barcode and sync it with your files, handy if you're on the run in the library and come across books that you might need later...

Tried using 'zandy' which allows you to edit your files via smartphone...but couldn;t get it to sync with Zotero (probably gave up too quick).

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭itzme

Another good one out there is mendeley which is also free, www.mendeley.com. Very handy as it auto creates an online research profile for your papers if you wish and syncs all your papers online allowing you to have a backup online or on other computers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

+1 for Mendeley.

Another new one is ReadCube - which is in Beta - looks promising but so far they haven't added Word integration so no use to me - but one to watch I think - VERY slick interface
    http://www.readcube.com/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I have big <3 for medeley. Was using referencer up till recently when i moved to mendeley. Referencer is great for arranging bibTeX, but mendeley does almost all the same stuff and a fair bit extra, so for now, it wins :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Online storage with Mendeley is a bit limited unless you sign up for the premium version. I've been using JabRef for a few years now and have few complaints. Dropbox is useful for backing up and syncing my PDF library.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Bibdesk works fine for me. Used to use Jabref which I would also recommend on any OS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

+1 for Mendeley. It's a while since I've used it, so I hope that a few of the issues I had with it have improved, like more style options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 whiterteeth

I'm OAP returned to study. I discovered Zotero and am using it on Mac for citation. I also discovered Qiqqa which looks great but only works with Windows.
    I don't know anything about PDFs other than reading them and printing. Any good video tutorials for a beginner? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭cgc5483

Currently only for Mac but this program is extraordinary for organizing PDFs. Started using it last week and have been very impressed. Works beautifully with Endnote.

http://mekentosj.com/papers/

Windows PC version of Papers is now available!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

I just use my own system, having learned that EndNote has a tendency to crash. If you use any programme to organise your various articles, then ensure that you back-up the file.

Take care
    Kevin

Advertisement