Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Identify a part for me: Passat Exhaust System

• 21-05-2008 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭

01 Passat 1.9Tdi 130Bhp
    Where the exhaust pipe comes out of the engine there's a steal mesh pipe only about 6 inches long or so...

Anyone know what its called?
    Or where I'd get a break down diagram of the exhaust system ?
    or how much the replacement part will cost me?

Thanks lads.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Like this - http://www.motoscope.co.uk/images/exhaust-flexi.jpg

That's called a flexi pipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

that's it exactly. Thanks.
    Are they expensive or difficult to replace??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

ShayK1 wrote: »
    01 Passat 1.9Tdi 130Bhp
    Where the exhaust pipe comes out of the engine there's a steal mesh pipe only about 6 inches long or so...

Anyone know what its called?
    Or where I'd get a break down diagram of the exhaust system ?
    or how much the replacement part will cost me?

Thanks lads.
    This part allows for movement between the engine and exhaust if this part was not on your car it would be a very vibrating ride! I fitted an exhaust pipe on a caddy(same engine) and I can remember it came with the catalytic converter. Now they are expensive!
    I'd say you can get them separate but it will require cutting and welding etc.
    As for the name I'm not really sure. I thinks its just called the wire mesh.

Yeah, they are pretty expensive - stay away from a vw dealer!

I worked for a bosal main dealer and they supplied "weld in" replacements - it costs about €90 for the flexi-pipe and whatever labour to remove the exhaust and replace the section.

If you can find a bosal dealer, they can give you a price for fitting, or alternatively they can give you a price to replace that section of the exhaust.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,201 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

You can buy them in various diameters for welding into existing exhaust. Cheaper than replacing with a genuine part.

• Advertisement

is it just a matter of opening 3 bolts at the engine... and splitting the pipe where ever the first split is... then cutting out the old one.. welding in a new one and re-fitting it??
    Will I need any gasket or sealer or anything when re-fitting?

I know at least 2 guys that are very handy with a welder so that shouldn't be a problem...

ShayK1 wrote: »
    is it just a matter of opening 3 bolts at the engine... and splitting the pipe where ever the first split is... then cutting out the old one.. welding in a new one and re-fitting it??
    Will I need any gasket or sealer or anything when re-fitting?

I know at least 2 guys that are very handy with a welder so that shouldn't be a problem...

Ya, that's more or less it - check you get the correct diameter pipe first though!

If you get a tube of exhaust paste - try cleaning down the gasket and joint on it with a wire brush and putting a little paste on it when you're putting it back together.

land9 wrote: »
    Ya, that's more or less it - check you get the correct diameter pipe first though!

If you get a tube of exhaust paste - try cleaning down the gasket and joint on it with a wire brush and putting a little paste on it when you're putting it back together.

Cheers for the advice... now to www.otto.ie me thinks??

rang bosal ireland. looks like advance pitstop can order in the replacement part for me once they measure it and stuff. sweet!!

• Advertisement

ok, now I'm confused.

Bosal asked do you just want the flexi pipe?
    I said yes. She said you can get it from one of our agents once they measure it.
    So, rang advanced pitstop (the closest bosal agent to me)
    Dude told me you can't just get the flexi pipe you've gotta get the cat too....??

Any suggestions on what to do next?

I didn't realise the cat and flexi pipe were on the same section.

You can get the flexi piece separate, whether he doesn't know or he's trying to push the most expensive item on you, but having said that, you'd be better off buying the cat as the pitstop guy recommended. There is a lot of stripping to remove that particular piece of pipe, and the flexi piece is very small - there isn't a lot of room to play with when replacing it.

You can get the flexi piece separate, you'd be better off buying the cat. There is a lot of stripping to remove that particular piece of pipe, and the flexi piece is very small - there isn't a lot of room to play with when replacing it.

That's pretty much what they told me in advance pitstop yesterday when I called in.
    So.. They can get the replacement and fit it for €400
    Or... I can get the replacement myself from http://www.cat-direct.ie/ and fit it myself for €220

I've no problem fitting it BUT I'm not sure I'll be able to get the 3 bolts out of the manifold ?
    With that much heat they HAVE To be pretty tight and akward to get at??

You have to get the 3 bolts from below. (you'll need a lift!) You also gotta strip out a fair bit around the turbo and airbox to be able to remove the cat. If you're confident, go for it - otherwise, pay the extra to save you the hassle and stress!

You have to get the 3 bolts from below. (you'll need a lift!) You also gotta strip out a fair bit around the turbo and airbox to be able to remove the cat. If you're confident, go for it - otherwise, pay the extra to save you the hassle and stress!

I have a pit (albeit, covered by copious amounts of crap) but when you say I've to strip out stuff around the turbo... Does the cat have to come out the top? Will it not go out the bottom??

I'm gonna get under it tomorrow and have a good look around.. then I'll make my decision.

Decision made and part ordered from www.cat-direct.ie for €200.28 incl. vat & delivery

I think it'll come out the bottom. Not 100% but I think it will. I'll update this again next weekend after I replace it.

Thanks for the help and advice lads (special thanks to Land9)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Yeah - the VW catalogue lists this flexipipe as being part of the section that contains the catalyst.

I assume it's the flexipipe just before the cat in the image below (item 1).

253600wq9.png

crosstownk wrote: »
    Yeah - the VW catalogue lists this flexipipe as being part of the section that contains the catalyst.

I assume it's the flexipipe just before the cat in the image below (item 1).

253600wq9.png

Yeah that's it. I was trying to get a weld in replacement but I was told I couldn't get one for the passat.

I've ordered this....
    http://shop.strato.de/epages/61517062.sf/en_IE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/61517062/Products/1004610169&ViewAction=ViewProductDetailImage

As far as I can remember, it comes up the top - best of luck!

So, its done!!
    Got the part on thursday and changed it yesterday and it did indeed come out the bottom.
    There's a mount that's held on with 3 allen head bolts and 2 hex bolts that came out very easily and allowed the cat to come out. It wasn't as easy to put back cause there was a new exhaust pipe in the way but I managed. :)

For anyone doing this:

Its far easier to join the cat and the pipe first and then put it in place than trying to join it with it in place.

It took me awhile to do it but at least I saved 200 quid.

Thanks again for the help and advice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement