Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone agree that an Abscess is the worse pain you can ever have??

• 10-02-2006 11:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭

I dont know about anyone else but I think they are, i cant think of anything else that could be worse. In total I have gone through four, each lasted about 2 months before getting treatment on the tooth.

I have loss all trust and confidence with dentists now because of this every time I went complaining about the tooth they would just tell me its sensitive to hot and cold things. Anyone who had a abscess would agree that it is a painful experience and would be in a happy mood going to the dentist but can you imagine them telling you its just hot and cold food and you having to go home and still having the constant pain and wishing you where dead!!

Going to bed is the worse part! I went two weeks without sleep, my tooth and jaw was so sore i was forced to call the doctor on call about 2 in the morning and I had an injection in my ass and it still never took the pain away not even a bit!

I had a abscess in each of my front teeth and 2 of my back teeth. I broke the bottom half of my 2 front teeth when i was young and am having problems ever since.
    It has caused so much emotional pain in my life.

So people make sure you brush her teeth properly and avoid having to get fillings because fillings cause abscess!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

ass, lol :D i also hate the dentist, got 2 baby, and two permenant teeth taken out in one sitting about 3 years ago! so painful....

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Omnipresence

When I was young I had a toothache... so went to dentist...

Basically was about 8 at the time i think...

Anyway .. one injection... some pulling... me going ouch a lot... so dentist decides to give another injection... sound.... back into chair .. much pulling ... much excruciating pain... dentist basically said stop your moaning (have had 2 injections) and proceeded to extract said tooth... me basically passing out with pain....

In the end dentist saw after pulling out tooth that I had an abcesss ...

So basically had a tooth pulled with no anesthetic... (injection went straight into abscess...)

Most horrible experience ever...

I hate anything to do with dentists ever since....

-Alan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Yook

Thank **** im over it now. What horrible horrible pain, it definitleythe worst pain i've ever felt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Squaddy

aloleary wrote:

Anyway .. one injection... some pulling... me going ouch a lot... so dentist decides to give another injection... sound.... back into chair .. much pulling ... much excruciating pain... dentist basically said stop your moaning (have had 2 injections) and proceeded to extract said tooth... me basically passing out with pain....

So basically had a tooth pulled with no anesthetic... (injection went straight into abscess...)

-Alan

F**k ouch!! Even thinking about it feels painful. Was this dentist qualified like?!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

aloleary wrote:

-Alan
    Oh my god that sounds like exactly what happened to me and to make matters worse a part of the tooth he pulled is still there , its hurting like hell lately but Im afraid to go back to the dentist , I havent been in years but the fact that I got a tooth pulled and heard and felt every second of it has me scared crapless.
    Seriously it was the worst pain I ever felt .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭deisemum

I agree about the pain from an abscess. It just goes right through you. Having given birth without any pain relief the pain of both abscess and birth are similar. Still can't make up my mind on which is worse. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I have never had an abscess but I had my kneecap kicked round to the back of my leg. I can tell you, that was pretty fcuking sore. I sincerly hope I never experience anything like it again.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Yea only like a month ago I had to get a tooth out (permanent) I had an abscess up to three weeks b4 hand.. went to dentist.... got a filling... filling broke.... went back... I wanted it out... big mistake.... The tooth took nearly 45 minute of pulling and dragging.... and eventually "another" dentist had to take it out ! Very Very painful ! Left with a gaping hole in my mouth for a month and its still there now... Pictures anyone ? :D

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭AnnaStezia

Don't quite agree.

Try an exposed and vital nerve for something dental to really complain about.

If that does not satisfy you try putting a drill bit through it under light local anasthesia!!!!!!!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Good god why am i looking at this forum:eek: :eek:

it gives me the creeps.. im off forever.. i feel sick:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Bettyboop

went to dentist with an absess serious pain for a week
    only thing that would ease it was gargling cold water every 10mins
    no sleep. dentist pullled and pulled but tooth would not budge
    so he took out the nerve and showed me (nice).I was sent to the
    dental hospital.booked in for 9 still there at 12.45 over three hours
    trying to get this tooth out in between I was throwing up,so he decided
    to take an xray he told me I had teeth like a horse (charming)
    anyway he continued but although it was moving as I felt that
    crunching sound he decided to slit my gum open, he got it out long
    roots he said 4 stitches in the gum and I was finished.
    Finished with dentists alright:D so now I get sedated never again will I
    visit dental hospital he was only young so maybe he was only training.

They have to practise on someone :eek: :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,290 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

valerie wrote:
    went to dentist with an absess serious pain for a week
    only thing that would ease it was gargling cold water every 10mins
    no sleep. dentist pullled and pulled but tooth would not budge
    so he took out the nerve and showed me (nice).I was sent to the
    dental hospital.booked in for 9 still there at 12.45 over three hours
    trying to get this tooth out in between I was throwing up,so he decided
    to take an xray he told me I had teeth like a horse (charming)
    anyway he continued but although it was moving as I felt that
    crunching sound he decided to slit my gum open, he got it out long
    roots he said 4 stitches in the gum and I was finished.
    Finished with dentists alright:D so now I get sedated never again will I
    visit dental hospital he was only young so maybe he was only training.

Stories like these are the reason i'll be konked out for non normal stuff..aka fillings.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

i used to be scared of the dentist, after two years of chemo for lung cancer the dentist is a doddle,
    it's all relative, but i reckon that abcess is a bitch of a pain alright, only ever had one, don't want anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭sonandheir

Abscess is defianitely the worst pain i've ever had. Had 2 root canals done when I was about 12, completely unnecesary the dentist just did it as my father's insurance covered it. Complete disaster caused me pain all through my teens. Went to another crap dentist when I was about 17 and he decided to give me several heavy fillings which in hindsight I should have questioned. I'm now 24 and have had six teeth permanetly abstracted. I simply don't trust dentists and only go when I'll have a tooth pulled. I'm super careful now of my teeth (the ones I have left) and thankfully have not experienced any pain from them for a while. Another thing with dentists is that you can't discuss what's going on with your teeth like in a doctor. I've had to leave 2 dentists as they were suggeting that I have a root canal/filling on a particular tooth. I simply wanted it out but they couldn't accept that and couldn't perform the procedure. In the case of a root canal i think a clear choice should be given to the patient whether to perform the surgery or extract the tooth. I personally believe that fillings do not (are not intended to) last a lifetime and if done early in life will cause problems later in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

sonandheir wrote:
    ...I personally believe that fillings do not (are not intended to) last a lifetime and if done early in life will cause problems later in life.

In fairness the problems are normal wear and tear. Larger ones are usually replaced with crowns. I agree with you, its very hard to find a decent dentist. But your teeth need maintaince, as with any machine.

I think they only last about 5 years and then they flare up unless its a rooth canal i think they last longer.

I have two rooth canal jobs done on my front teeth when i was 12 and i have to get them replaced now next year!! it will cost a fortune!

Squaddy wrote:
    I think they only last about 5 years and then they flare up unless its a rooth canal i think they last longer.

I have two rooth canal jobs done on my front teeth when i was 12 and i have to get them replaced now next year!! it will cost a fortune!

AFAIK root canal is permanent, they remove the soft tissue in the tooth. However they repair the surface of the tooth with a filling or a cap/crown. You might need the filling/cap/crown replaced, but the the root canal. AFAIK.

I've got fillings that were done 20 odd years ago.

The one thing I'd advise anyone is to have routine scaling and check up. Regarding fillings if you start getting twinges then it's time to have it checked. There are dentists that carry out a lot of unnecessary work, especially on people who do not have to pay for it. I have seen this time and time again.

AFAIK root canal is permanent, they remove the soft tissue in the tooth. However they repair the surface of the tooth with a filling or a cap/crown. You might need the filling/cap/crown replaced, but the the root canal. AFAIK.

Alrite thanks, I had my most of my two front teeth broke and they had to put a filling on it, then i had to get rooth canals on both of them because they flared up.

I was told that i will need to get crowns on them when am 18 ( thats next year)

Do you know how much they cost??

• Advertisement

Vary. About 800+ I'd estimate. Depends on what they use for the crown, gold is cheapest, the tooth coloured stuff (composite?) is more.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Try having an apisectomy done on your upper right 2 with a local anesthetic - very very very unpleasant. See post on Bio-Oss implants. This is more of a facial op than a dental op if you ask me!!!!!!

crosstownk wrote:
    Try having an apisectomy done on your upper right 2 with a local anesthetic - very very very unpleasant. See post on Bio-Oss implants. This is more of a facial op than a dental op if you ask me!!!!!!

I think with all these kind of things the amount of pain varies from person to person and from tooth to tooth. For example you might have one root canal thats fine, and another one that woeful.

I've had 2 apicectomies at the same time and when it was over I just got up and continued working as a dental nurse.

Vary. About 800+ I'd estimate. Depends on what they use for the crown, gold is cheapest, the tooth coloured stuff (composite?) is more.

Would 800+ be for one tooth or my 2 front teeth??

Lol am not getting gold anyway could you imagine!!

Squaddy wrote:
    Would 800+ be for one tooth or my 2 front teeth??

Lol am not getting gold anyway could you imagine!!

Each tooth. Might be more depends on the dentist and what you have done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ANITA GUY

crosstownk wrote:
    I had my 4th apisectomy yesterday on my front crowned tooth, 4 because infection keeps coming back, the root is drilled down as low as it can go now, my crown is hanging by a thread. I had my first one when I was 10, then 13, 43, 46 ! my next step will be root out and denture, I really hope i can hang on to it, the surgeon reckons I may keep it for a couple of years. It is like coal mining in your mouth, especially so many down the line, as so much filling has to removed first even the surgeon admitted that it was far worse than he expexcted, how ever at least i had a more modern 'cut' the last one went up each side of the tooth to the top, and they rolled it up, causing ressesion of the gum, when it healed, also old style amalagam shows through black, where they filled it. he did remove some of the black 'tattooing' good luck, hope you dont have to go through it again! i look like a swollen pig today! Ibruprofen is the best for pain ask for bios before the infection has a chance to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

I am in agony right now. In the middle of my finals and have been getting the most awful toothache whenever i eat. Basically have to curl up in a ball am paralysed. It's like the left side of my mouth under attack with shooting pains lasting up to 15mins. Coud it be an exposed nerve/abcess. Never had so much pain. It started recently when part of one of my teeth fell out a few months ago, haven't got it checked yet cos franky it'll cost me dearly i imagine, have to make an appoinment this week though cos i can't bear it any longer(plus all the nurofen plus can't be good for me). I've never felt such pain in my life not even period pain, asthma attack or migraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

I have an abscess at the moment and I agree with you, it is the worst pain ever, even with child birth so fresh in my mind. Dentist has me on 2 antibotics and it settling down now, although 1 of the promises hallucinations so I suppose I have that to look forward to!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Oh god, I shouldn't have read this thread...

Can you actually get knocked out for dental procedures? Because I have to go next week, and he's either going to have to extract a huge filling a refill the tooth, or do a root canal. I'd like to be unconscious, if possible...

Advertisement