Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drills to take a divot ?

• 11-06-2011 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Played today and irons were all over the gaff.
    Played with two lads who took lovely big divots on all iron shots and I noticed I don't do the same. I am scorching the top of the grass at most and I feel I'm not making great contact

any drills on how to take divots ?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Iceboy

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Killed

Have you tried moving your ball position back slightly ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

alxmorgan wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Played today and irons were all over the gaff.
    Played with two lads who took lovely big divots on all iron shots and I noticed I don't do the same. I am scorching the top of the grass at most and I feel I'm not making great contact

any drills on how to take divots ?

thanks

Taking big divots is not necessarily a good thing. You should take virtually none with the long irons and a shallow enough divots with the short irons. Taking big divots might give the impression that someone is making good contact with the ball but that may not be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Osgoodisgood

Iceboy wrote: »

Good god. That is probably the ugliest thing I've ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭goodgolfer64

ball first then divot...a good shot doesnt have to have a divot...depends how steep your attack into the balls is really....dont wanna be thinking bout divots when your first task is striking the white ball...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Do the greenkeepers a favour and keep doing what you're doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭stockdam

ball first then divot...a good shot doesnt have to have a divot...depends how steep your attack into the balls is really....dont wanna be thinking bout divots when your first task is striking the white ball...

Taking a huge divot doesn't mean that it occurs after the ball is hit. Hit the golf ball before hitting the ground and you should be ok (as above).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

thanks for the replies guys

I found this video

http://www.youtube.com/user/4golfonline#p/u/1/bw4jUAVr5eo

which talks about straightening the right knee too much
    This is definitely something I do (was flagged to me in my only lesson so far a while back) and perhaps is more what I need to focus on than divots

Advertisement