Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

Soooky wrote: »
    Jesus, I feel like contacting Closer magazine to get them to correct their typo :mad: Even at 2 months though, I think its bizarre that a breastfed baby would sleep a 12 hour stretch but hey good for them!

I definitely think it gives such an unrealistic view though - my LO didn't start sleeping 12 hours stretch until she was 1 :pac: I know if I had read that in the early days I would feel like I was doing something wrong or that there was something wrong with my baby!

I always tried to be honest - when people asked me if my baby was sleeping through the night I always said "no she wakes several times!!" but I do know others who fib and say "oh yeah she's a great sleeper". Sad that people feel they have to say that, put so much pressure on parents :(

My lo had a couple of weeks of sleeping through but 4 month sleep regression hit and now she wakes once or twice a night. I'm always honest about it when asked and also the first to defend her from the sympathetic tuts as I genuinely think that's good for an ebf baby! And more importantly I'm prepared to do it so I'm fine with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

I have started to wean since last wend. Babe ways got one bottle before bed. Then I added a second for the during the night feed on Friday and yesterday (day 5) added a third. So 2 bottles by day now and one during the night. How fast will my supply drop? I bf this am. at 6am and when feeding again at 9am my lo was very fussy, kept coming off and having a little cry and I was wondering about supply. He usually feeds every 3 hrs. I didn't think it could drop that quickly. I have dropped one feed in four days. Now his teeth are really bugging him too and I've read that the sucking can irritate them more.

I'm hoping to continue with morning and evening bf feed ultimately. Starting with baby rice next week. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Soooky

73trix wrote: »
    I have started to wean since last wend. Babe ways got one bottle before bed. Then I added a second for the during the night feed on Friday and yesterday (day 5) added a third. So 2 bottles by day now and one during the night. How fast will my supply drop? I bf this am. at 6am and when feeding again at 9am my lo was very fussy, kept coming off and having a little cry and I was wondering about supply. He usually feeds every 3 hrs. I didn't think it could drop that quickly. I have dropped one feed in four days. Now his teeth are really bugging him too and I've read that the sucking can irritate them more.

I'm hoping to continue with morning and evening bf feed ultimately. Starting with baby rice next week. Thanks.

Hi 73trix! I think it really depends on the individual how quickly your supply adjusts - I found it to be quite a slow process but then again my LO was 14 months by the time we fully weaned and probably your little one is younger? The only real advice I can give you is to keep an eye out for any lumps/hard areas to make sure you don't develop any blocked ducts :) Our bodies are very good at adjusting and baby will make sure he/she gets what they need :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Hey all, just a quick update on Ailbhe, we were in the hospital with her today and we got the all clear to go on as we want. She's put on a whopping 22 ozs in the last 3 weeks! I'm only giving her 4-6 ozs of formula per day and reducing the amount so I will be pretty much feeding her myself from here on! She had no formula yesterday and was weighed at 1 pm at her 3 months check. This morning she had put on 35 grams! lol .
    onwards and upwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I'm still hanging on in here: I think my nipples have turned to steel because everytime I feed her I have teeth indentations on either side of my nipple... Vaccinations next week, then 13 month vaccinations in a month and then going to wean her. Fingers crossed anyway :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭veggie newbie

I am a very happy breastfeeding mammy to a beautiful 5.5 week old girl. I know it's very early days to be thinking about routines but.... Currently she relies on my boob to fall asleep, unless we're in the car or out walking. Indoors, she won't nod off unless she's on the breast. I'd like to try establish a pattern of feed, activity, sleep rather than her ladyship relying on the boob to fall asleep. I'm worried about it becoming more difficult to break this cycle the longer we continue with the current pattern. Has anyone tried to do this and if yes, how did you break the reliance on boob=sleep? TIA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

I am a very happy breastfeeding mammy to a beautiful 5.5 week old girl. I know it's very early days to be thinking about routines but.... Currently she relies on my boob to fall asleep, unless we're in the car or out walking. Indoors, she won't nod off unless she's on the breast. I'd like to try establish a pattern of feed, activity, sleep rather than her ladyship relying on the boob to fall asleep. I'm worried about it becoming more difficult to break this cycle the longer we continue with the current pattern. Has anyone tried to do this and if yes, how did you break the reliance on boob=sleep? TIA.

Congrats on the new arrival!
    I had the same experience and I think it's quite common really. I think you're nuts to be thinking about a routine now. Go with what the bany wants and you'll bd much more relaxed. What you're suggesting might not be what suits her. There's no such thing as bad habits either. When she's good and ready she'll fall asleep on her own (for my daughter that was somewhere between 9-12 months though there are nights here and there when she has to be held). congrats on such success with the breastfeeding:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Routines? Don't bother. Seriously. I wish someone had told me this beforehand but do not attempt to try and make a routine when you're breastfeeding this early. You'll only hurt your supply. For the first couple of months, I was made feel like a terrible mother because of my failure to get a routine going because friends of mine were giving me lectures on routines and "don't you let baby feed to sleep" and you need to do this and that. :rolleyes: Of course this was coming from friends who formula fed. If I knew then what I knew now, I'd have told them to STFU. Formula babies can be on routines. Breastfed babies cannot.

Going through a growth spurt, they feed more to boost your supply (what does a formula feeding parent do for a growth spurt? Just pour out some extra formula in the bottle). It's not the same. Babies don't just feed at the breast, they also find comfort from it. You may not realise yet but your baby is not always feeding when on the breast.

And breastmilk makes babies sleepy, particularly in the evening because of the hormones in the milk. Your milk is designed to help your baby sleep - don't fight it! I sure as heck don't. I figure when my baby wants to, the falling asleep independently will happen when they are ready.

I just always went with the flow and we're in a loose routine but I just follow my baby's lead. I have friends who have strict hour by hour routines so I just don't give them any specifics anymore as I couldn't be dealing with their lectures! I spent far too much energy worrying about stupid routines in the early months and it was a waste of time. So don't bother!

Oh and you're at week 5 - fantastic accomplishment! It does get easier as the weeks go on but at the moment your baby will be feeding fairly regularly. It gets easier I promise :)

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

I echo what the other ladies have said, at this point you really need to go with the flow. I never bothered trying to establish a routine and now at 5.5 months we kind of naturally just fell into one but I still feed baby on demand. Also the only time she feeds to sleep now is at night. Hang in there, it gets easier!

Ps: Hi from another breastfeeding veggie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭bobskii

I've done this, no routine just feeding whenever she wanted and 11 weeks in she's settling into her own little routine at night . down at 9.30 sleeping through to 6, not every night tho . We have no routine as such during the day just take everyday as it comes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Same as above, my little one is 4 months today and still happily breastfeeding after a very tough start. She's cluster feeding in the evening from about 8 til 10 pm and then it's like someone switches her off till 3 am. She does have 1 bottle in the day, of lactose free, after coming off the high calorie stuff it was hard to get her back exclusively feeding without her weight dropping off a bit.
    I stopped pumping last week, I was pumping and feeding and looking after 4 older kids.. tiring day. The one bottle in the afternoon gives me a chance to get some rest or housework done..!
    I can't believe she's 4 months. It's flown by.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭bobskii

I cannot get my lo to take a bottle . age just refuses . I've tried formula pumped milk and all manner of different bottles and teats but to no avail . She just plays with the teat in her mouth then spits the milk out .

Thanks for the advice & well wishes folks. I'm not at all concerned about having a routine in terms of sleep/nap times, it's more the process of falling asleep that I am thinking about. I'm also thinking more long term, will it be difficult (or nigh on impossible?!) for dad to settle her if she's reliant on the breast to fall asleep? From your feedback it sounds like she might grow out if this which is reassuring. I haven't tried pumping yet but will eventually. So if (and I know it's a big IF) she takes the expressed milk from a bottle, hopefully he'll be able to get her to sleep at night. It's very early days yet so I'll keep going with things as they are now, feeding on demand & falling asleep on the breast, and lots more snuggles of course. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Thanks for the advice & well wishes folks. I'm not at all concerned about having a routine in terms of sleep/nap times, it's more the process of falling asleep that I am thinking about. I'm also thinking more long term, will it be difficult (or nigh on impossible?!) for dad to settle her if she's reliant on the breast to fall asleep? From your feedback it sounds like she might grow out if this which is reassuring. I haven't tried pumping yet but will eventually. So if (and I know it's a big IF) she takes the expressed milk from a bottle, hopefully he'll be able to get her to sleep at night. It's very early days yet so I'll keep going with things as they are now, feeding on demand & falling asleep on the breast, and lots more snuggles of course. :)
    Yeah I lnow what you mean. You try now even if you're breastfeeding getting your partner to take her and wind/settle her after the feed. No harm to let him find his own ways of doing things. I think that's a big part of it really is letting go of the idea that that's the only way she'll go asleep. Other people will be able to settle her it'll just take time for them to figure out what works. Hope that makes sense. I do remember it being s big concern of mine a few months back. Then my mam managed to get her asleep on the living room floor so I stopped worrying :)

kandr10 wrote: »
    Yeah I lnow what you mean. You try now even if you're breastfeeding getting your partner to take her and wind/settle her after the feed. No harm to let him find his own ways of doing things. I think that's a big part of it really is letting go of the idea that that's the only way she'll go asleep. Other people will be able to settle her it'll just take time for them to figure out what works. Hope that makes sense. I do remember it being s big concern of mine a few months back. Then my mam managed to get her asleep on the living room floor so I stopped worrying :)

Omg sooooo true, any time my other half takes her, I cant help butting in with 'try this, that and t'other.'.. Or, telling him what she does/doesn't like.... Then if he doesn't listrn, I just want to take her back to comfort her even though it was me who asked him to take her in the first place! I def need to let go & let him find his way, hard as it is. Good advice, thank you! Seems so obvious but sometimes I guess we just need to be told! Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Marz66

Edited-wrong thread sorry!

While im here, I am the one who settles baby to sleep here. Do you wait until you need to be away before dad learns his own way to settle, or do you let dad figure out his own way now so you are prepared and can share bedtime routine?

I don't feed to sleep (cos baby is still awake now after feeds) but BF still comes into the routine when bubs looks for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Fagashlil

Daddy's always done the settling here! I'd a section and burst my stitches after a week, so I used to just feed and he'd do everything else, now he only sees baba for an hour in the evening so bedtime is their thing, I left them to figure it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Marz66

That sounds like a nice way of doing things fagashlil!

Have started pumping again, pud is 22 weeks tomorrow so want to start a stash for mixing with his food. Pumped 3oz yesterday evening after his bedtime feed, asked hubby to put it in the fridge, and he left it in the fridge door, I only realised this morning when I went to add to it and freeze it. Is it still ok to freeze milk that's been stored in the door?

I've day weaned S: and I'm finding it so difficult! I know that sounds ridiculous but she's pulling at my top and gets so upset... It's not helped by the fact she won't drink milk only water, so can't get comfort from say a cup of milk or anything. I know I had to wean her before she bit my nipples off, or I lost the plot from pain from those Vasospasms every time she gets a new tooth, but still... I'll get her through her 13 month vax in a fortnight and fully wean her then. Just sad about it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

It's hard to see them so distressed. A went crazy for 2-3 nights when I was night weaning her. She was screeching and head butting and thumping my chest. However within a week she was happy to have a little cuddle with me whenever she woke up.

I hope it's gotten a little easier for you since. It was amazing that you continued to breastfeed for so long considering all the obstacles along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Elliottsmum79

cyning wrote: »
    I've day weaned S: and I'm finding it so difficult! I know that sounds ridiculous but she's pulling at my top and gets so upset... It's not helped by the fact she won't drink milk only water, so can't get comfort from say a cup of milk or anything. I know I had to wean her before she bit my nipples off, or I lost the plot from pain from those Vasospasms every time she gets a new tooth, but still... I'll get her through her 13 month vax in a fortnight and fully wean her then. Just sad about it all.

No one really tells you how hard this phase is and how hard it is, depite wanting to wean, when its actually over. Such a comfort to them but 13 months is amazing....think of the great start this has given her.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Still going strong here. I really love breastfeeding. Tis great :) I'm well on track to meeting goal of 1 year and I'm gonna keep going for longer hopefully! I keep forgetting that it's a huge accomplishment to have gotten this far, I just kind of think of it as normal and just get on with it. Hubby has to keep telling me how great I'm doing because I kinda just forget that a lot of women unfortunately don't get this far. It was such hard work at the start but it's well worth it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I can relate. I'm counting down to two years of feeding my son. It was incredibly difficult and emotionally draining at the start but now it's so simple. I don't know how people sooth their children without boobs! I'm going to wean him when he's two because at that stage I know I'll be ready for a break and normal tops again. But if you'd asked me at a week or month old I'd have said no way will I feeding this long. So my long winded message is that it does get easier and less irritating!

I'm hitting 6 months on Monday and no plans to stop anytime soon. Had a rough start, but with some great advice here and The BF group on FB, and support from my mam and best friend, it all fell into place and my monkey is a complete boob monster!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Breastfeeding 18 months this week. I'm still not sure if feeding a toddler is genius or madness. Far more demanding than a newborn but lots more fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

You definitely are... Has your hospital a lactation consultant? Look to see them if they do: most do but you need to request to see them. Colostrum is perfect for baby: they call it liquid gold for a reason. Just feed as much as possible... Massive congratulations too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

Baby4 wrote:

Baby4 wrote:

Congratulations. If you want to breastfeed then you are doing the right thing. Try to get the baby to feed as much as you can over the next few days. Even if you think the baby is not getting anything try keep them latched on as much as they will stay. I had a section and this close contact and latching I think helped my milk come in quicker. I would insist that formula feeds are stopped and take the baby in beside you. I used to feed side by side for the first few days. My milk came in on day 3. It might take longer for some people. Ring the bell for help from the midwives whenever you need it. I woke the baby too in the early few days every 2-3 hours during the day to feed. Sometimes she feed more frequently than this. During the second day she petty much fed all day. This is normal.

You could try see if your hospital has a lactation consultant.

Post here too and you'll get lots of help and support. Best of luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

Congrats on your little one, Baby4! I can only second what, Bovril and cyng said above. Also, fair play for standing your ground.

Advertisement