Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are these TVs Saorview Compatible?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,292 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

There's a CRT (tube) TV (the Black Diamond) for sale on adverts.ie for €20 and you want to know if its Saorview compatible?

The Bush TV (20" CRT) on eBay is for sale in the UK for £29, do you have any idea how much that will cost to ship to Ireland?

john-mcenroe.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

A simple 'not compatible' or 'not economically viable' would have done. I don't think there's a 'minimum knowledge level cutoff' for posting queries here.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Any of the TVs with a big back CRT won't be compatible.

Haven't come across any Grundig with the required tuner for Saorview.
    Couldn't find a spec for the Beko but wouldn't buy unless I saw it working with Saorview.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

I would imagine that thousands of obsolete but servicable TVs will be dumped on the second-hand market (or in recycling centres) over the coming months.These will include not just heavyweight CRTs but some LCDs and plasmas.

If you are on a really tight budget, you never know what you might get your hands on for next to nothing. Look to friends, relatives and local charity shops etc. first.

They will need a separate external receiver to work with saorview so factor this into any cost. With new approved 32in sets coming in at under €250, you will have to decide where a reasonable cutoff point is, but there will be people who will be just glad to get an old set off their hands.

If you are buying then you should be looking for SCART sockets (preferably two), widescreen format and a fully working remote control. Ask to see it working before you buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭CiaranC33

Sorry I should have made myself clearer. The tvs listed above are all tvs that owned by my parents or myself. The links were included just for spec and visual reference. Sorry coylemj!!

Thats great so the crts won't be compatible. Thanks The Cush.

The Beko tv is a few years old. There is some spec here but not sure if its any use. http://uk.shopping.com/Beko-32WLA520HD/info#keyFeatures

Im nort able to find any spec on the Grundig tv.

So whats the best way to see if the Beko and Grundig are Saorview Compatible? Do I have to wait until the switch over on Oct 24th and see if they work then or can I check them now by doing something?

• Advertisement

CiaranC33 wrote: »
    So whats the best way to see if the Beko and Grundig are Saorview Compatible? Do I have to wait until the switch over on Oct 24th and see if they work then or can I check them now by doing something?

Where in the country are these tvs being used? Are they receiving Irish analogue channels & if so, is it the full compliment of RTE1, 2, TV3 & TG4?

Sorry I should have made myself clearer. The tvs listed above are all tvs that owned by my parents or myself. The links were included just for spec and visual reference. Sorry coylemj!!

OP, I didn't realise you already had those TVs in the family, apologies if I offended you.

To receive Saorview, you need either a TV with an integrated digital tuner, these are usually referred to as an iDTV OR you need to buy a Saorview Set Top Box (STB) to connect to the TV via either a HDMI or SCART cable.

Whether you buy a STB or iDTV, you need to make sure it is 'Saorview approved'. Any TV manufactured in the past 30 years or so will at a minimum have a SCART socket (to connect a VCR) and will work with a Saorview STB which has a SCART output. STBs are widely available in electrical shops, ALDI and LIDL for around €50.

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    Where in the country are these tvs being used? Are they receiving Irish analogue channels & if so, is it the full compliment of RTE1, 2, TV3 & TG4?

In the North west area. Signal is from Truskmore. Outside ariel on roof recieving RTE1, 2, TV3 & TG4 very clear reception.

You should have a Saorview signal then, on UHF channel 53. If the tvs have any kind of digital (DVB-T) tuner, they should at least pick up the radio channels & the sound from the tv channels.

coylemj wrote: »
    OP, I didn't realise you already had those TVs in the family, apologies if I offended you.

To receive Saorview, you need either a TV with an integrated digital tuner, these are usually referred to as an iDTV OR you need to buy a Saorview Set Top Box (STB) to connect to the TV via either a HDMI or SCART cable.

Whether you buy a STB or iDTV, you need to make sure it is 'Saorview approved'. Any TV manufactured in the past 30 years or so will at a minimum have a SCART socket (to connect a VCR) and will work with a Saorview STB which has a SCART output. STBs are widely available in electrical shops, ALDI and LIDL for around €50.

No worries Coylemj. No offence taken. So its set top boxes for the old CRTs tvs then. Is it a case that you need one for each tv or is it possible to have mulit room viewing through one Saorview STB?

On the newer Beko tv it must have an iDTV in order for it to work with saorview, thats grewat thanks.

Is there any way for me to tune in saorview now on th Beko tv and see if the its compatible or do i have to wait util Oct 24th?

• Advertisement

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    You should have a Saorview signal then, on UHF channel 53. If the tvs have any kind of digital (DVB-T) tuner, they should at least pick up the radio channels & the sound from the tv channels.

Thanks Peter. So I can check and see if the Beko tv will pick up saorview by tuning in channel 53 on the UHF frequency? Is that correct?

No worries Coylemj. No offence taken. So its set top boxes for the old CRTs tvs then. Is it a case that you need one for each tv or is it possible to have mulit room viewing through one Saorview STB?

For the hassle, expense and technical complexity that would be involved, you really shouldn't think of anything except one STB per TV
    Is there any way for me to tune in saorview now on th Beko tv and see if the its compatible or do i have to wait util Oct 24th?

Saorview is being broadcast now from Truskmore, on CH 53 as Peter said. If you get the various Saorview channels then you are ready for digital TV and will have to do nothing on or after Oct 24th. If it asks you for a frequency, try 727.25 MHz.

Edit: found the Beko manual for that TV, no mention of digital, MPEG-2, MPEG-4 etc. Almost certainly will not receive Saorview.

Thanks Peter Rhea, coylmj and everyone else for your help. I really appreciated it.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭reslfj

coylemj wrote: »
    Edit: found the Beko manual for that TV, no mention of digital, MPEG-2, MPEG-4 etc. Almost certainly will not receive Saorview.
    I found this review from 2009 - I'm sure this is an analogue only TV set.
    http://www.reviewcentre.com/review572170.html

This TV set is old and has rather bad specs. But is has one HDMI connector. HDMI is much better than SCART, so use a HDMI cable for this Beko TV set.

Can any UK analogue channels be received in the area ?
    Brougher Mountain will get 40 times more powerful Freeview/FreeviewHD PSB signals (BBC/UTV/C5/Five + 4-5 HD channels) post DSO.

Note, old TV sets often use a lot of power - even in stand-by mode. Buying new power efficient TV sets may save money.

Lars :)

Advertisement