Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi company racism report

• 03-12-2010 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭

http://www.galwaynews.ie/16382-report-finds-widespread-racism-city-taxi-industry

If they have a no hiring policy who is hiring African drivers? Last Thursday night I was walking down by Cross street. There was a line of taxis from the top of the rank spanning all the way back to Bridge Mills and seemed to have two white drivers.

Also I didn't think there was a rule for taking the first taxi, surely people have the right to pick their taxi..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Content:
    Report finds widespread racism in city taxi industry

December 3, 2010 - 7:15am
    Companies refute claims that they won't employ Africans

A damning report has accused the taxi industry in Galway City of racism – suggesting that the companies have a policy of not employing Africans.
    The controversial report, which will be published next week, says that no taxi company in Galway employs black drivers and accuses the companies of being “private clubs”.
    A number of local TDs are also slammed in the report for making statements to the media in relation to “foreign national” taxi drivers operating in the city.
    The taxi industry in Galway has hit back, by saying that companies do not employ taxi drivers – each driver is a shareholder and in effect works on a self-employed basis.

One of the leading taxi companies in the city has also accused the author of the report of having little knowledge of the industry and how taxi companies operate.
    The survey was conducted by the Irish Centre for Human Rights at NUI Galway and claims to verify and document allegations of racism in the taxi industry in the city.
    The report states: “Some taxi companies believe their practices can operate under the radar of the anti-racism laws if they become an organisation akin to a private club and each driver is a shareholder.
    “They vet newcomers to their business under a silent code and practice. The presumption under which they operate is that there are no consequences to their high probability of racist employment practices in Galway. No taxi company employs African drivers.”

The report was initiated by Dr Vinodh Jaichand, Deputy Director of the Irish Centre for Human Rights at NUI Galway, but has been slammed as inaccurate by the taxi industry in Galway.
    Among the 12 recommendations in the report, taxi drivers are urged to attend training sessions on racism as soon as possible.
    The report also accuses the public of not observing the “cab rank rule” of taking the first taxi in the queue. A survey revealed that 26% of those who didn’t observe this practice did so because they were trying to find an ‘Irish taxi’.
    Gerry Corbett of Galway Taxis refuted the suggestion that there was racism in the industry and accused the author of the report of not being familiar with the taxi business in the city.

Odd because as yourself OP I see plenty of African taxi drivers around town.
    It'll be interesting to see the stats and analysis methods used.

A quick google shows this debate has been around a long time, and not only in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Also I didn't think there was a rule for taking the first taxi, surely people have the right to pick their taxi..
    There isn't, although whenever I need a taxi, I take the one at the top of the rank, as they have been waiting the longest for a fare.
    Am I entitled to choose any taxi at a rank?
    Yes, as a consumer your can choose whichever taxi you would like to travel in.

http://www.taxiregulator.ie/consumer/consumer-FAQs/consumer-FAQs.html

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭clived2

There isn't, although whenever I need a taxi, I take the one at the top of the rank, as they have been waiting the longest for a fare.

Take the one at the top, when your not going that far and they are not impressed,they have even told me this before, skip to another taxi further back and recieve numerous dirty looks, you cant win

A number of Africans, working as taxi drivers in the city, have become the victims of racist attacks in the form of: verbal, physical, or even violent attacks over the past number of months.

There are about 50 to 60 African taxi drivers working in Galway city and at least 10 of them have been attacked. One such victim was Nigerian Samuel Leshi.

Mr Leshi had this to say: "They kicked me, hit me with sticks, and took my money," "They were shouting at me ‘You f*****g black ******, get back to your own country. White taxi drivers are going out of business because of you!' They said the Government gives Black people money to set up as taxi drivers."

"None of what they said is true," Mr Leshi said. "We are not given money by the Government to set up as taxi drivers. We have to apply for licences like everyone else and make the payments like everyone else. We are not here to put Irish drivers out of business. We are not on the dole. We are doing a job, we are paying our taxes. These kind of actions are trying to scare off the Black community but racism is not good for a society."

The Association of Nigerians in Galway and the Progressive Friends Association of taxi drivers are aware of what happened to Mr Leshi and say this has not been an isolated incidence. The organisations point out that on July 16th Frank Okankwo was attacked by six men between the Westside Shopping Centre and Glendara. On October 14th taxi driver Mike Omokua was attacked in College Road; and on October 27th Aregbesola Abeni was also attacked and the window of his car broken.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

The racism from the Irish taxi drivers is horrendous at times, as is the abuse the black drivers get from students. I'd rather spend 10 mins talking to Kofi (or Dave or whatever they pretend their name is) about Arsenal than listen to Micheál ****e on about The Blacks taking his fare.

[IMG <snip>[/IMG]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭celtictiger

Taken from the Taxi Regulators website:

As a taxi driver I have often had a customer jump in after passing out an African driver. 90% of the time the conversation starts with "I'm not racist - but......." and then they recall a journey they took with an African driver which was a nightmare or farcical in some way. Are they racist? No. They chose the African driver initially and were let down by the driver. Now they choose Irish taxis. If I eat a burger in a chipper and it's horrible will you I go back? No. Having said that I've gotten some shockingly racist people that would blow your mind. Not that many but they're out there. The amount of scammers out there driving taxis is shocking to say the least - choose your taxis carefully and don't be afraid of having the race card pulled on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

clived2 wrote: »
    Take the one at the top, when your not going that far and they are not impressed,they have even told me this before, skip to another taxi further back and recieve numerous dirty looks, you cant win

white or black, you gotta love taxi drivers. when on the JD show they have the poor mouth and then snub you if your distance is long enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭996tt

biko wrote: »
    Content:

Odd because as yourself OP I see plenty of African taxi drivers around town.
    It'll be interesting to see the stats and analysis methods used.

I think this report is about black taxi drivers applying to work for taxi companies(eg galway city taxis/big O) with their taxi not about getting a licence

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

The racism from the Irish taxi drivers is horrendous at times, as is the abuse the black drivers get from students. I'd rather spend 10 mins talking to Kofi (or Dave or whatever they pretend their name is) about Arsenal than listen to Micheál ****e on about The Blacks taking his fare.

[IMG <snip>[/IMG]

i was not aware that there were any facists in Galway. there is no smoke without a fire.
    you seem to have an issue with the wilde irishe

Antifa removed. No extremists from either side allowed.

• Advertisement

I wasn't being entirely serious. I think most of the racism in this country (and there's a ****ing lot of it) is more of a harmless "sure I've never seen a black" ignorance than any actualy malice.

That said, some of the **** I've heard said to the taxi drivers. Personally I'd kick them out and run them over if I had to put up with it. Even just general drunk behaviour like popping open their boots, never seen it done to an Irish taxi it's always the black fellas that seem to put up with it.

biko wrote: »
    Antifa removed. No extremists from either side allowed.
    Aye because posting an Antifa pic is totally the same as posting a Swastika.

****ing shocking, but not surprising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Fuctifino

Is it not a taxi companies choice who they hire?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

Taken from the Taxi Regulators website:

As a taxi driver I have often had a customer jump in after passing out an African driver. 90% of the time the conversation starts with "I'm not racist - but......." and then they recall a journey they took with an African driver which was a nightmare or farcical in some way. Are they racist? No. They chose the African driver initially and were let down by the driver. Now they choose Irish taxis. If I eat a burger in a chipper and it's horrible will you I go back? No. Having said that I've gotten some shockingly racist people that would blow your mind. Not that many but they're out there. The amount of scammers out there driving taxis is shocking to say the least - choose your taxis carefully and don't be afraid of having the race card pulled on you.

I hate to break the news to you, but they *are* being racist in such a case. 100% unmitigated racism. They're electing to not get into a taxi because the driver is black because, once before, they had a bad experience with a driver who also happened to be black. It's entirely based on them looking in the taxi and seeing a driver with brown skin. If that's not racism in your books pal, I don't know what your definition is.

It should also be noted that not all black taxi drivers are African. Yes, I agree that by statistics there's a very high chance that, in Ireland at the moment, a black person will be from Africa. That being said, don't go about assuming because you see a black driver that they're from Africa. That's misinformed and close-minded.

Similarly, I have of course heard horror stories of people having bad experiences in taxis and blaming it on "black drivers not knowing where they're going / screwing me out of money", etc. I'm not saying it doesn't happen. But if everyone made their decisions based on this, then nobody would ever get in a taxi with a *white* driver either... Remember all those sexual assault / rape accusations brought against taxi drivers over the past 20 years? Almost exclusively white drivers.

Racial profiling is a disgusting thing and it's a disgusting thing to do to a person's face (by getting out of their taxi or refusing it because of their race).

Fuctifino wrote: »
    Is it not a taxi companies choice who they hire?
    Are you posting from the 1950s?

Speaking from this perspective: If i own and operate a business.... i dont want to be dictated to who i should hire. Im in no way racist, one of my best friends is from Ghana, however this smacks of "positive racism" and political correctness gone mental.

Im speaking now as an employer, not as someone who chooses not to get a taxi because of the nationality or colour of the driver.

To the person who compared it to having a bad experience at a restaurant... You're competely wrong... Its similar to having a bad experience at a chinese, and refusing to eat at any chinese ever again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

When I arrive at a rank I discriminate against the battered 1996 Carinas and in favour of the better cars

Not pushed about the driver
    Among the 12 recommendations in the report, taxi drivers are urged to attend training sessions on racism as soon as possible.

They might include a customer service module as well. A customer doesn't need a heavy sigh and :rolleyes: or even hassle if getting a taxi from Eyre Sq to the Hunstman. Not my fault you were at the rank for a long time

Speaking from this perspective: If i own and operate a business.... i dont want to be dictated to who i should hire.
    You're not. You're just told that someone's race, gender, sexual orientation etc cannot be a factor in your decision, which seems fair.
    Im in no way racist, one of my best friends is from Ghana, however this smacks of "positive racism" and political correctness gone mental.
    Not really. Although I do agree positive discrimination does occur. Never understood why some places only ever seem to have Indian or Chinese staff for example (and I'm not on about Chinese/Indian restaurants, where I believe they're within their rights). Nobody is telling you have to hire a black person.

It's why I find the way some drivers moan about The Blacks so silly. You're driving a car like, you're no more or less qualified than any other driver. I got an Irish taxi the other day and he didn't know where I lived (an area in Westside), so it's not like all the white guys are locals either. In some jobs, ones where you need to communicate with customers, it does infuriate me when I'm served by someone who can't speak/understand English and messes up because of it, but taxi driving isn't one of them.

Also, The Blacks listen to better music.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

Speaking from this perspective: If i own and operate a business.... i dont want to be dictated to who i should hire. Im in no way racist, one of my best friends is from Ghana, however this smacks of "positive racism" and political correctness gone mental.

Im speaking now as an employer, not as someone who chooses not to get a taxi because of the nationality or colour of the driver.

To the person who compared it to having a bad experience at a restaurant... You're competely wrong... Its similar to having a bad experience at a chinese, and refusing to eat at any chinese ever again

I agree with you that political correctness has gone mad (the world over!) in the past decade or so. However, I think the issue here is that an employer is flatout refusing to hire someone based on their nationality / race. It's not like the US where companies *have* to have a certain percentage of minorities hired to conform to equal opportunity standards. It's more a case of giving each and every individual a chance and not dismissing them prematurely - it would only make it more difficult on the legitimate folk of the same ethnicity.

You're bang on about the restaurant analogy, btw.

If they explicitly said that because he's black he's not getting hired then that is wrong, but i doubt he was that blatant

• Advertisement

If they explicitly said that because he's black he's not getting hired then that is wrong, but i doubt he was that blatant
    Veiled racism is no more acceptable than blatant discrimination.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I have had alot of Irish taxi drivers telling me of some illegal practices (registering two cars, same make, model and reg plate somehow in different towns..apparently the gardai never check against the cars chasis number) by African taxi drivers but I have seen plenty of Irish taxi drivers breaking the law too (e.g. filling up with green diesel!)

Both should be stopped in fairness. Tax dodgers certainly didn't help the country in the last few years.

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I have had alot of Irish taxi drivers telling me of some illegal practices (registering two cars, same make, model and reg plate somehow in different towns..apparently the gardai never check against the cars chasis number) by African taxi drivers
    I would have asked them how the knew so much about the practise :pac:

I would have asked them how the knew so much about the practise :pac:

Ha Ha...he was a very old man. I think if I seemed anyway defiant he would have taken his belt to me. In fairness to him though he said Irish taxi drivers are just as bad and his gripe wasn't that they were African but that there was too many taxi driver in general, I was going from Knocknacarra into town. He said he hadn't had a fair that far out in a long time. Felt kind of sorry for him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 137 ✭✭Andrew42

Would yiz all get it out of your heads that taxi companies hire drivers! The only people that a cab company employ are the person(s) who answer the phones and the despatcher who gives out the work to the drivers and maybe an accountant, cab drivers are self employed and if they choose to hook up with a company they pay rent to the company for a radio (anywhere between €80 and €115 pw). Maybe black drivers have more sense than to hand that type of money over for no guarantee of work!

Aye usually when you pay for a taxi you think it's a bit of a rip off, but the guys in Galway probably only get a few fares a night if they're lucky due to the number of taxis.

I can see why people might prefer an Irish taxi driver, you can have a proper conversation with them, talk about local issues, "de Gah" and all that but I wouldn't go out of my way to avoid any particular driver. Some of the soundest ones I've had were the eastern Europeans actually. They should be a favourite for the racists anywho - they're not black, but you can still be racist to em!!

Aye usually when you pay for a taxi you think it's a bit of a rip off, but the guys in Galway probably only get a few fares a night if they're lucky due to the number of taxis.

I can see why people might prefer an Irish taxi driver, you can have a proper conversation with them, talk about local issues, "de Gah" and all that but I wouldn't go out of my way to avoid any particular driver. Some of the soundest ones I've had were the eastern Europeans actually. They should be a favourite for the racists anywho - they're not black, but you can still be racist to em!!

That's true. Got a really sound Ukrainian lad before. Said he was qualified in forensics and that was his job back there. He played Slayer and even played the song I wanted. Legend.

I remember ringing a taxi at like 11am after we were still up from the night before, ProCabs I think. It arrived at it was this big Hummer type car with a cream leather interior and tinted windows, which were perfect for keeping the unwelcome daytime sun out. Mother****ing comedown pimps.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

I just hop in the nearest taxi, doesn't matter who the driver is.
    It has always been a positive experience for me (in Galway at least). Everyone, black or white, is nice, polite and has plenty of interesting stuff to say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,198 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I couldn't give a sh1te about the driver, its the car i'm worried about.

Got into an 07/08 Merc the last day, spotless. Cream leather interior, heated seats. 8quid for 3 of us from Dangan to Town... YES PLEASE

Any time i'm at a rank looking for a Taxi i'll have a quick look down and get into the nicest looking car. Sure 'its on the meter' :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement