Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What should I name my House?

• 13-12-2006 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭irelandjoe

I am 3/4 the way through a house build and we have no idea what to call the house.
    House is in Nenagh, Co. Tipperary with fantastic views of keeper hill and the silvermines, we are also in eye shot of river.

We really are stuck and any sensible suggestions would be appreciated? I was thinking somthing in Irish might be cool but open to any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I always fancied the name "Lazy Lodge" but the wife won't have it

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭irelandjoe

crosstownk wrote:
    I always fancied the name "Lazy Lodge" but the wife won't have it

HAHA :D
    I should call it "Cable Havan" because of the amount of cable I put into it !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Fisrt thing to check would be that if you decided on something like"Hill View", ask the local postman if there's a similar address nearby so your post won't go astray. Then find out exactly which postal area the house is in.

We've recently been told by the local post office that our house isn't where we thought it was:eek: When we bought it, the title deeds, estate agent and previous owners all listed it as being in Prosperous Co. Kildare. Now two years later, the local post office in Prosperous has only recently started re-directing our post to Sallins post office for onward and thus delayed delivery to us. When I queried this, the rather abrupt post mistress informed me that my house was 200 metres outside the Prosperous boundary and I was therefore in the Sallins district. Now Prosperous is 1 mile from my house, Sallins is 4 1/2 miles away. I also told her that the title deeds stated the house is in Prosperous and that we had been getting our post delivered using the Prosperous address for the past two years. She said that we shouldn't have and then hung up. Now I'm caught between putting up with a delayed postal service or changing all my bills, car tax, insurance, etc to a new address.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Homer J Simpson

Ballydung Manor

• Registered Users Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

A postal address is not a legal address and does not necessarily describe where your house is located. It has to do with how the letters are delivered.

It is just a routing instruction.

If you were going by postal addresses, you'd believe that Leitrim was part of Co. Sligo.

You can check this stuff on the address checker on the an post home page. You should see if you can get your house name added to geodirectory, and this may help resolve your problem. I have no idea how to go about this.

A.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Maybe something starting with Dun or Rath?

• we haven't named ours yet, but I dit think of "an teach ban" (the white house) at it will be a white house.

Then had second thoughts as there is a similar named house in usa with a tree in it...:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Well maybe not a whole tree but certainly a plank.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

How about "The Tetragon" then? Or similar Irish equivelant, just in case terrorists get confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭secman

We are coming to end of a build also, lovely views but not too sheltered, we couldn't think of a name either, more difficult than you would think. One very windy day, missus said " what about Four Winds? " Seemed apt as it always seems windy and from different directions . So thats it.........Four Winds

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Goll Mac Morna

irelandjoe wrote:
    I am 3/4 the way through a house build and we have no idea what to call the house.
    House is in Nenagh, Co. Tipperary with fantastic views of keeper hill and the silvermines, we are also in eye shot of river.

We really are stuck and any sensible suggestions would be appreciated? I was thinking somthing in Irish might be cool but open to any ideas?

What about Radharc na Sleibhe (mountain view)
    or Radharc na habhainn (river view)
    Ard na Gaoithe (windy height !!!)

Why not check out the local townland name and try to tie in with that?
    or even better ask locally if anyone knows the name of the field your house is build on.
    We have always been obsessed with land in Ireland and are probably unique for having names for our individual fields.

hope this helps
    Goll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

How about Rancho Relaxo?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Fisrt thing to check would be that if you decided on something like"Hill View", ask the local postman if there's a similar address nearby so your post won't go astray. Then find out exactly which postal area the house is in.

We've recently been told by the local post office that our house isn't where we thought it was:eek: When we bought it, the title deeds, estate agent and previous owners all listed it as being in Prosperous Co. Kildare. Now two years later, the local post office in Prosperous has only recently started re-directing our post to Sallins post office for onward and thus delayed delivery to us. When I queried this, the rather abrupt post mistress informed me that my house was 200 metres outside the Prosperous boundary and I was therefore in the Sallins district. Now Prosperous is 1 mile from my house, Sallins is 4 1/2 miles away. I also told her that the title deeds stated the house is in Prosperous and that we had been getting our post delivered using the Prosperous address for the past two years. She said that we shouldn't have and then hung up. Now I'm caught between putting up with a delayed postal service or changing all my bills, car tax, insurance, etc to a new address.:mad:
    Probably another good reason to have a postcode system.

Back on topic, I think the names from Goll Mac Morna are pretty good.

Thanks for these This is the type of think I am looking for keep them coming. I love some of the other ones too, but my wife not be impressed with some of them !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭The Gnome

Isengard?

secman wrote:
    We are coming to end of a build also, lovely views but not too sheltered, we couldn't think of a name either, more difficult than you would think. One very windy day, missus said " what about Four Winds? " Seemed apt as it always seems windy and from different directions . So thats it.........Four Winds

I like this Idea!!!

Hagar wrote:
    Well maybe not a whole tree but certainly a plank.

:D HAHAHA. so true

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

we haven't named ours yet, but I dit think of "an teach ban" (the white house) at it will be a white house.
    If you're using a name in Irish, be sure to check the spelling! 'An teach ban' would be closer to 'the women's house' than 'the white house' (an teach bán)

You see misspellings like this all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

Paul :D

• UB wrote:
    If you're using a name in Irish, be sure to check the spelling! 'An teach ban' would be closer to 'the women's house' than 'the white house' (an teach bán)

I think that the misspelling is nearer the truth..:D :D

Anyway I forgot to put the accent on it ;)

• Advertisement

UB wrote:

:D HEHEHEHE Thanks for the advise.

Any more suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

why does your house need a name?

never seen the point myself

• Registered Users Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭secman

Any oak trres near by ? .............. " Fallen Oak " scribed on slice of wood

If you have a huge Mortgage ? .............." Someday" ( as in you will own it !)

"Mandalay"

"Ayesha"

Ash trres nearby ? ........... Ashton

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you are on a hill - Tipp Top?

JohnBoy wrote:
    why does your house need a name?

never seen the point myself

Because house is in country and with no name address is only the area name. Granted post gets delivered, but will save problem with regards to post getting delivered to right address!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

people have been living in the country for years without having names on their houses.

we moved into our new house and post was waiting for us the day we got the keys.

an post have a certain amount of experience in delivering post you know

• Registered Users Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

The point of the name (to point out the obvious) is to uniquely identify your house.

If you don't have a name on the house, you and future residents are dependent entirely on the postman's knowledge of local personalities to deliver your mail. This is asking a lot of the postman.

An Post would much prefer if you had a name on your house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Rivendell!

• Advertisement

The point of the name (to point out the obvious) is to uniquely identify your house.

If you don't have a name on the house, you and future residents are dependent entirely on the postman's knowledge of local personalities to deliver your mail. This is asking a lot of the postman.

An Post would much prefer if you had a name on your house.

Thanks, exactly why we want to name the house. just save uncertainty in future. When usual post officer goes on holiday, would I get my post on time? don't think so. I agree An Post would much prefer names on houses.

Advertisement