Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Ok so I got in touch with the gynecologist this morning, he said if I haven't had the baby by monday, I'm booked to go into the clinic on Monday evening, I'll be induced on Tuesday morning. Woop! Can't wait to get going!

I'm guessing baby Ivy is probably on their way today! Exciting stuff!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Saurelin wrote: »
    My sis said that washing all windows at home helped her with her 1 and second ;-)

Anyone wishing to test this one out is MORE THAN WELCOME to come to my house & wash the dozen or so windows I have :D any takers?? ;)

lol @ having to take it orally, that's DEFINITELY something a man came up with :pac:

Hope all is going well Ivy!

Such a lovely day today, I'm starting to feel the combo of tiredness but not being able to rest because I have a 2 year old running rings around me has me worn out.
    Also put in for a P21 tax statement hoping I might have a surprise few euro owed to me by the tax man, only to find out I owe him €674 :eek::( so was having a bit of a crap one, then my lil sister called over bearing chocolate (for me) & clothes for 2 year old & baby.
    Such a nice surprise after the crappy start to the day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Oh Cap that really really sucks: really crap day!! I'm glad it improved :)

Best thing yet I've seen/read about trying to bring on labour is "galloping"... if only cuz it makes me laugh so much!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Back with my midwife today, all was fine, baby is still head down though she didn't say if he was engaged. We went through my birth plan and she was happy with everything on it though she did say that due to a new father recently almost cutting his son penis instead of the umbilical cord :eek: my OH might not be allowed to cut the cord. I'm not too fussed about that though, it would be nice if he could do it but it's not the end of the world if he can't.

Anyone finding themselves more clingy to their OH??? I'm normally so independant but lately I find myself watching the clock when my OH is out until he comes home:confused::confused::confused:

37 days left :):):)

Ms2011 wrote: »
    .... though she did say that due to a new father recently almost cutting his son penis instead of the umbilical cord :eek:

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

That just doesn't bear thinking about!

I'm not clingy to OH, though do feel anxious if I'm home alone when he is working late's *just in case* anything should happen.
    I need to stop fretting about it, I've visions of myself going into labour at home & trying to pacify a 2 year old at the same time.
    That or try to drive to the hospital mid labour by myself! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi hope this is the right place to post but just wondering if anyone knows if you can request a C-Section without going private?

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭pippington

2 days till due date! went to see the midwife today and if i still have no baby by next wednesday then i must go see the doctor for a scan and sweep...if no baby by the time im 40 + 10 then i shall be induced! Come on out baby!!!!

We went through my birth plan and she was happy with everything on it though she did say that due to a new father recently almost cutting his son penis instead of the umbilical cord :eek: my OH might not be allowed to cut the cord. I'm not too fussed about that though, it would be nice if he could do it but it's not the end of the world if he can't.

Oh my god... how much of a feckin moron do you have to be to mistake a teeny willy for an umbilical cord! And usually the staff show you exactly where to cut.

I hate stuff like this where one person does something wrong as a complete fluke and then everyone else is stopped from having that option open to them, just in case.

Bought a travel cot today, Graco Contour Eletra, bought it second hand but in perfect condition, retails at between €125-€150 depending where you look, I got it for €40, happy days :-)
    Have it set up in the corner of the sitting room now as we're gonna use that downstairs & the moses basket upstairs until babs out grows the moses basket.
    Heart does a little flutter everytime I walk by it, can't wait to have a little person sleeping soundly in it :-)

Anyone hear from Ivy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Hey ladies :)
    Just checking in to see how ye all doing and if there's any more good news??? Hope everyone feeling well enjoying their pregnancies! It's only been 12 days and I already can't imagine what having my bump was like!! Nature is weird... Making me forget!! I thought I'd miss it so much but no time to since the real thing has arrived!!
    Little A is doing great - still breast feeding which is much more tiring than I expected!! Still apart from lack of sleep , sore nipples and some serious colic type wind in the evenings we both blissfully happy!!! Eventually I'll get around to putting my birth story up!
    My one piece of advise is - you can never have too many muslin cloths!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Well BabyTheTerrible was born on the 22nd at 4.50 in the morning! They started the inducement at 8am on the 21st and though it seems like it took a long time, the birth was actually a lovely experience overall. (Epidural for the win, btw!). I'll post my birth story in the thread when I have a bit more time.

We got home yesterday afternoon, I'm breastfeeding and while it's still sore it's getting a bit easier.

Great to hear all is going well for you DL, especially the breastfeeding, gives me so hope that I might be able to stick it out :-)

Came home last night to a dark house full of people, otherwise known as a surprise baby shower!!!!
    I was completely caught off guard, it was all organised by my sister, OH & OH sisters for the past month, didn't think OH was that good at keeping secrets, might have to keep a closer eye on him in future ;-)
    Had a lovely night though & got some gorgeous pressies.
    I'm just so ready for babs to be here now!

Eta: Just reading your post there Ivy, huge congrats, can't wait to hear all the details. Hope you & babs are well x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

My OH is heading for her first meeting with the obstetrician tomorrow, what can she expect to happen at the visit ?

Big congrats Ivy & Dublinlady. Delighted for you. Seems oh so far away for me!

Ms2011 you are so lucky. Nothing better than a surprise party, very thoughtful of your OH & family.
    Joe10000 wrote: »
    My OH is heading for her first meeting with the obstetrician tomorrow, what can she expect to happen at the visit ?

I didn't see an obstetrician, I just went in for first visit (booking visit) at the hospital where you see midwives & a doctor at the end. This is probably what will happen:
    1) Do all the paperwork along with medical history etc
    2) Urine sample
    3) Check blood pressure
    4) Weight & height
    5) I then had a lengthy chat with the midwive about the pregnancy & various advise & questions. In your partner's case that will probably be just the doc.
    6) Bloods are taken
    7) See doctor who does the scan and checks baby size matches up with dates, how many babies :D etc etc.

Thanks Mink ! we got all that done on our first hospital visit but we didn't see a doctor, just the mid wife and the sonagrapher.

Congratulation Ivy!!!! I thought when we hadn't heard from you in a few day's that baba might be on the way!
    Delighted to hear everything is going so well & that you found it to be such a positive experience!

Pippington not long for you now :)

Ms2011 that's so lovely of your family to organise the baby shower for you! Hope you were spoiked rotten :)

Dublinlady, great to hear from you too & that all is going well! It is amazing how the pregnancy fades to a distant memory so soon when you have a new baby to look after :) Hopefully the colic will settle soon.
    We had a few weeks of it and it was tough going seeing her so uncomfortable.

Curiousmum I'm not actually sure the in's and out's of it. I think you can request it, but they will do their best to discourage it unless there is a valid medical reason for needing it.
    This I could be completely wrong on, but that would be my understanding.
    The best bet is probably to speak to the midwife when you have your next hospital appointment & she will be able to let you know your particular hospital policy on it.

Joe10000 best of luck to your wife on her first appointment tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

heard my babys heart beat for the 1st time this morning x was amazing x

Best sound in the world, never get tired of hearing it x :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

I'm 20 weeks and only heard it once at 12 week scan!

its amazing Im 17weeks and my 1st time hearing it, i could just listen to it all day long x

• Advertisement

silly wrote: »

I'm 20 weeks and only heard it once at 12 week scan!

The further along you get the more visits you'll have with your consultant/GP/midwife, as part of your check up most will listen to the heartbeat with a doppler so you should get many more oppurtunities to hear babs heartbeat :-)

That's so lovely Betsie, I love having scans/doppler, anything to see/hear baby :)
    You're not far off the halfway mark now!

That's so lovely Betsie, I love having scans/doppler, anything to see/hear baby :)
    You're not far off the halfway mark now!

i know can't believe it almost 20 weeks, i found the 1st 12weeks so slow and since then its flying.

Im still smiling after this morning, it was amazing :-) :-)

I got my date wrong, my OH's first obstetrician appointment is this Monday. We still do not know what the visit will entail, can somebody outline what to expect ?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Joe10000 wrote: »
    I got my date wrong, my OH's first obstetrician appointment is this Monday. We still do not know what the visit will entail, can somebody outline what to expect ?

Thanks.

First gynae visit entails med history, bloods, urine sample, and in most cases if this is a private obs a scan so your wife should have been told to drink plenty water :)

Normally the gynae secretary would outline all this when booking the apt.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭pippington

Went to see the OB today..had a sweep, mildly uncomfortable but ok...nothing has happened as a result so far...induction booked for next wednesday..hope babs comes before then :( cant wait to see him! The doctor did say it really felt like he was ready and it would be very soon but who knows!

Oooh fingers crossed pippington you will have your baby soon :) Hopefully that sweep will get things moving!

Lovin' the good weather lately, getting out & about in the fresh air is a real mood booster for me :-)
    Walked the doggies, mowed the lawn, tidied round the boarders, did some weeding etc. then listened to my Gentlebirth CDs. Really tired now but the contented tired of doing some physical work, hopefully I'm in for a good nights sleep now :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

pippington wrote: »
    Went to see the OB today..had a sweep, mildly uncomfortable but ok...nothing has happened as a result so far...induction booked for next wednesday..hope babs comes before then :( cant wait to see him! The doctor did say it really felt like he was ready and it would be very soon but who knows!

Ooh best of luck! Try not to get too hung up on the doctor saying the baby might arrive soon...mine said he would arrive "within the next few days" on the 2nd of February...he was induced on the 22nd...I was on tenterhooks for 3 full weeks, when if I hadn't thought he was coming early I would have just relaxed...

• Advertisement

Lovin' the good weather lately, getting out & about in the fresh air is a real mood booster for me :-)
    Walked the doggies, mowed the lawn, tidied round the boarders, did some weeding etc. then listened to my Gentlebirth CDs. Really tired now but the contented tired of doing some physical work, hopefully I'm in for a good nights sleep now :-)

I'm only in 5th month and I'd be lucky to have this much activity in a full weekend, need to get my arse in gear or I'll have a massive to-do list in 4 mths time!

Advertisement