Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most Cringeworthy Character in Star Trek History

• 21-11-2011 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Like Jar Jar Binks in Star Wars, There have been many Cheesey Characters in Star Trek over the Years. Who fits the bill in your opinion?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

The comic in the holodeck of the TNG episode The Outrageous Okana. Truly sickening stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 mister_h

EnterNow wrote: »
    The comic in the holodeck of the TNG episode The Outrageous Okana. Truly sickening stuff.
    SNL "Comedian" Joe Piscopo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Liking this thread.

1. Captain Jellico (every authority nazi loving person likes this character, particularly Americans if trekbbs is anything to go by, and rates him above Picard, just shows how unready they are for the sophistication of the 24th century)
    2. Janeway
    3. Neelix
    4. Harvey Mudd
    5. Vic Fontaine
    6. Kai Winn (smug duplicituous, sneaky, slimy, odious, religious fanatic, authoritarian, self serving...)
    7. Commander Shelby
    8. Tin Man (histrionic attention seeking...)

How could you not like The Outrageous Okana. He had an outrageous 80s haircut and an outrageous 80s sci fi biker/renegade appearance, in addition to an outrageously in your face personality. What's everyone's beef with the Outrageous Okana?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Each and every single "Irish" person in that episode of TNG *shudders*

Oh and neelix hes simply annoying.

Liking this thread.

1. Captain Jellico (every authority nazi loving person likes this character, particularly Americans if trekbbs is anything to go by, and rates him above Picard, just shows how unready they are for the sophistication of the 24th century)
    2. Janeway
    3. Neelix
    4. Harvey Mudd
    5. Vic Fontaine
    6. Kai Winn (smug duplicituous, sneaky, slimy, odious, religious fanatic, authoritarian, self serving...)
    7. Commander Shelby

Neelix Was painful to watch, so was Kes.

The Holograohic doctor and his obsession with singing.

Ensign Kims hammy acting.

Pretty much any of the 37's

WESLEY CRUSHER PEOPLE!!!!

• Advertisement

Don't forget the entire "Irish" cast in the fictional town of FAIR HAVEN

• Registered Users Posts: 25 MARTYRYAN

Ha..I remember that one. I think they had a fire going in the cargo hold of the ship. Does anyone know the name oof that episode?

MARTYRYAN wrote: »
    Ha..I remember that one. I think they had a fire going in the cargo hold of the ship. Does anyone know the name oof that episode?

BOOM!!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Up_the_Long_Ladder

That episode makes Joe Piscopo look good in comparison

What about the Sheliak? A Mysterious enigmatic race...or a guy in a glittery Duvet cover?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 MARTYRYAN

Excellent, Thank you. I always had a soft spot for the intergalactic cailin. I can see now that it wasnt misplaced

Oh does anyone remember the virtual reality clown in Voyager?? he pissed me off something else :mad:

http://voy.trekcore.com/episodes/season2/2x23/guests.html

Although I love the actor :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

That daft bint who was the "expert" in that TNG episode about the Crystalline Entity. She made Data talk in her sons voice etc.

Naomi Wildman in Voyager deserves slaps too.

How could you not like The Outrageous Okana. He had an outrageous 80s haircut and an outrageous 80s sci fi biker/renegade appearance, in addition to an outrageously in your face personality. What's everyone's beef with the Outrageous Okana?

Because his scenes were absolutely dreadful.

Regards Jaleco, em its entirely feasable to have characters that you 'love-to hate' without being a nazi loving American.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

Liking this thread.

2. Janeway
    3. Neelix
    4. Harvey Mudd
    5. Vic Fontaine
    7. Commander Shelby
    Winn? Are you serious? One of the best characters in all of Star Trek. You just described all of the interesting things about her. I don't really dislike Wesley or Neelix, but I can see how they'd be comparable to JarJar. Winn, Jellico, and to a lesser extent Shelby are good characters that the audience is pretty much supposed to dislike. They're not cringeworthy characters.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

everyone nyarlothothep doesnt like is a nazi loving american
    im not even sure he thinks it's possible to be american without loving nazis

Ro: maaan! wrote: »
    Winn? Are you serious? One of the best characters in all of Star Trek. You just described all of the interesting things about her. I don't really dislike Wesley or Neelix, but I can see how they'd be comparable to JarJar. Winn, Jellico, and to a lesser extent Shelby are good characters that the audience is pretty much supposed to dislike. They're not cringeworthy characters.

Now that i think of it i tend to agree. With the exception of Neelix and Wesley et al, the other characters are meant to be annoying in some way and thus fulfilled their role nicely. But while i agree that the Winn storyline was interesting, i used to hate her scenes with Bajoran Dukat or Major Kira. I liked when she shaped up to Sisko though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭Daith

Agreed. Hell Jellico made Troi wear a proper uniform. Good enough for me!
    mister_h wrote: »
    Now that i think of it i tend to agree. With the exception of Neelix and Wesley et al, the other characters are meant to be annoying in some way and thus fulfilled their role nicely. But while i agree that the Winn storyline was interesting, i used to hate her scenes with Bajoran Dukat or Major Kira. I liked when she shaped up to Sisko though.

I honestly think Winns best moment is with Kira in "Rapture". She tells Kira that the Cardassians arrested anyone teaching the word of the Prophets. While Kira had her guns to protect her, all Winn had was her faith. Then you wonder if it was all a bunch of lies when she admits that she never connected with the Prophets when the wormhole opened.

mister_h wrote: »

I loved any scene wit Dukat in it, he was epic.

I loved any scene wit Dukat in it, he was epic.

Even "feel the love of the Pagh-Wraiths, red eye Dukat?"

• Advertisement

Daith wrote: »
    Agreed. Hell Jellico made Troi wear a proper uniform. Good enough for me!

Not good for me

Even "feel the love of the Pagh-Wraiths, red eye Dukat?"

Obviously not as much as his normal character, but who else would you have play the role? Rom?

I thought he pulled it off well enough given the linear nature of the role

Obviously not as much as his normal character, but who else would you have play the role? Rom?

I thought he pulled it off well enough given the linear nature of the role

I think it was more the need for the Pagh-Wraiths themselves. Easily could have set up the Founders as the Pagh-Wraiths, bump of the real Winn and replace her with a Founder.

Don't get me wrong, Alaimo did the best with the material but it didnt mean I had to like the character.

I think it was more the need for the Pagh-Wraiths themselves. Easily could have set up the Founders as the Pagh-Wraiths, bump of the real Winn and replace her with a Founder.

Don't get me wrong, Alaimo did the best with the material but it didnt mean I had to like the character.

I dunno, I like the whole psuedo-religious side to it.

I see what you mean re Alaimo, as Dukat though he was brilliant. DS9 had some pretty powerful actors really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Liking this thread.

2. Janeway
    3. Neelix
    4. Harvey Mudd
    5. Vic Fontaine
    7. Commander Shelby

Totally agree with Kai Winn and Neelix. Winn actually got better but Neelix pretty much stayed the same...guess that kinda reflects the difference of the shows.

Totally agree with Kai Winn and Neelix. Winn actually got better but Neelix pretty much stayed the same...guess that kinda reflects the difference of the shows.

I'll admit DS9 was a vastly superior show to VOY. Neelix (the ship's cook) shouldn't have been at the senior staff meetings either.

I'll admit DS9 was a vastly superior show to VOY. Neelix (the ship's cook) shouldn't have been at the senior staff meetings either.

Nor should known terrorists, ex borg drones, criminals & civilians if you wanna look at it that way though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

He was the only member of the crew who knew anything about the area of space they were in. I'd have him in my meeting.

He was the only member of the crew who knew anything about the area of space they were in. I'd have him in my meeting.

He didn't really display much knowledge and once they got in deep to the delta quadrant he was obsolete in terms of info.

For the record Seven of Nine had incredible abilities which would justify her being on the board of senior staff. I don't know about the civilians, terrorists and criminals though, are the latter two Ro Laren and Tom Paris?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

kes, chakotay, paris

cant thinko f anyone else who'd be a civilian on voyager

Advertisement