Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

college life in DIT and trinity? do ye have the bant?

• 16-02-2012 11:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I am currently a student in ucc studying nutritional science. I am thinking about going to Dublin next year doing Human nutrition and dietetics this way I will be guaranteed degree in dietetics and also wont have to pay for a postgrad. I am finding cork a bit boring I want a new exciting start. What is college in Dublin like? I've heard it can be quite isolated and intense. are any of ye doing this course? Any insight would be much appreciated:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

College is what you make of it. I'm not able to speak for Trinity but in DIT, despite its shortcomings, there genuinely is something for everybody. It'll only be a lonely experience if you arrive with that mentality. Arrive with the mindset that you're going to get involved in something and find a good balance between business and pleasure.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

As an ex trinity student currently studying in DIT let me say that I found TCD isolated, I was in lecture halls of a few hundred and I knew next to noone.

It is much better in DIT. If you feel at all isolated make sure to do the clubs and societies thing and join something you can make friends that way if you strike out in your course

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

As an ex trinity student currently studying in DIT let me say that I found TCD isolated, I was in lecture halls of a few hundred and I knew next to noone.

It is much better in DIT. If you feel at all isolated make sure to do the clubs and societies thing and join something you can make friends that way if you strike out in your course
    Definitely.

Class sizes in DIT are quite small, so you get to know all your class mates. I know in my class there's about 40 of us and we all get on really well, everyone knows each others name, and the class rep organises regular class parties, usually with a turn out of 30 or more.

It is what you make it. If you make the effort and encourage your class to do some bonding and join some clubs and socs you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭00MARTZ00

only speaking from my own experience but im in DIT at the moment.
    I find the course im dong very intense so we dont get out alot as a class really but saying that its defo not isloated. i came in through advanced entry and i knew no one at the start but it didnt take long to get to know everyone in my class. and although we dont get to go out that often together the banter is defo there without doubt!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Nwynn

I'm also looking at doing the dietetics course next year in DIT, however i'm a bit put off by all the bad things people say about kevin street and the building? Apparantly collage life isn't all that great there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Mo14

Nwynn wrote: »
    I'm also looking at doing the dietetics course next year in DIT, however i'm a bit put off by all the bad things people say about kevin street and the building? Apparantly collage life isn't all that great there?
    The building's a bit of a tip and wifi's not the best there, but the people I've come across are nice enough, and you'll have no trouble meeting people/having an enjoyable college life if you put the effort in.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭goreyguy

depends on your course/campus really..

Advertisement