Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for Getting rid of cold sores

• 30-01-2010 10:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭

Hey guys I get cold sores/rashes around the corners of my mouth sometimes, mainly if I'm dehydrated. Its very itchy and sore. I'm aware it might be allergies as i'm allergic to EVERYTHING but has anyone any tips for getting rid??

Oh and any tips for dark circles under eyes

Cheers:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭smiley girl

DigiGal wrote: »
    Hey guys I get cold sores/rashes around the corners of my mouth sometimes, mainly if I'm dehydrated. Its very itchy and sore. I'm aware it might be allergies as i'm allergic to EVERYTHING but has anyone any tips for getting rid??

Oh and any tips for dark circles under eyes

Cheers:D

Sounds like your run down. Vitamin B is great for cracked lips, and plenty of vaseline to keep your lips in tip top condition.
    Concealer is great for dark circles, and a good eye cream. Ask your beautician what type would suit your skin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭DigiGal

Sounds like your run down. Vitamin B is great for cracked lips, and plenty of vaseline to keep your lips in tip top condition.
    Concealer is great for dark circles, and a good eye cream. Ask your beautician what type would suit your skin.
    Cool, thanks! I bought some vitamin B the other day. I do need to invest in good concealer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭ohanloj3

If you have a cold sore get a alcohol wipe (not the ones for swine flu and hand washing)(you know the anti septic medicated ones, you can buy them in the chemist) and rub it on the cold sore now it hurts like hell but the nex day there will be no sign of a cold sore at all!The alcohol kills it! My mam always swears by some poitin on a spot to clear it I'm sure it would workon a cold sore too as there is so much alcohol in it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭cleremy jarkson

Digigal, my friend is prone to cold-sores but after taking tablets of l-lysine from the chemist he rarely gets them! It is by no means a total cure for them but they very significantly reduce the rate of occurence!

You see...when the Herpes virus is replicating itself in your cells (eventually leading to a cold sore) it uses up an amino acid called arginine which is found in your cells. But if your cells contain a high level of the amino acid lysine, this lysine takes up space that could otherwise be filled by arginine. So, the higher the ratio of lysine to arginine in your cells, the lower the rate of replication of the Herpes virus and the lower the rate of occurence of cold sores! So, avoid arginine, consume lysine!

Now, the thing is that not that many foods in nature contain high levels of lysine; ones that do include fish, chicken and turkey, as do eggs and some dairy products.
    But to be honest, you are better off obtaining tablets of lysine from Holland and Barrett or somewhere (normally I would have dimissed stuff from a shop like that as never going to work but I've seen that this actually does work!) I think my friend takes one a day.

Avoiding too much arginine is another thing you should try to do. Nuts seeds and beans provide high levels of arginine...and so does chocalate! I wouldn't go mad trying to cut these things out of your diet too much but its good to be aware that they have small causative affect in why you get cold sores.

Main thing though is to try the lysine capsules. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

+1 L lysine

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭GSpoon

i find compeed patches fantastic! Much better than Zovirax!!

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭mandz

My mum swears by perfume/aftershave. As mentioned above the alcohol kills it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Zovirax for coldsores. YSL Touche Eclat for under eye circles.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭supersheeps

lysine all the way. I don't get warning tingles, so zovirax, etc, is a bit useless. I found a lipbalm called (imaginatively enough) Aloe Vera Lipbalm, it contains aloe vera, tea tree and lysine. I've been using it everyday, and was run-down, etc, and didn't get any coldsores. I then slacked off with the lipbalm, and got a horrible double cold sore. I used bee propolis on it (A.Vogel Bio-Propolis) out of curiousity (had heard it was good), kept lathering it on, and the cold sore was gone the next day, result!!! Hopefully I've hit on a cure for my nasty coldsores:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Shaws

I don't get the tingles so what I do (sorry it's a bit gross) is burst the coldsore the first day and then put the zoviex - coldsore cream into the bust blister. All the gross stuff is gone the next day and it's just a scap.
    sorry about the gross ness of it!

Someone told me before, that when you wake up in the morning before taking a drink or brushing your teeth, etc, put some of your morning spit on your coldsore and that should work....I never tried it...put hey if it works!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

+1 Lysine

It works!!! Take it in high concentration as a preventative

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭clareames

Hi

I was very prone to coldsores when i was younger, i nearly always had one! as a result of that i have dark blotches on my lips that looks awful. does anyone know of a way to reduce these scar like blotches? I get coldsores from Club orange, club rock shandy and anything Club! its a pain in the ass but if i avoid them i can pretty much stay coldsore free... but i find if im out late at the wknd and dnt catch up with my sleep i can feel a tingle... but i have zovirax with me all the time and it very rarely lets me down. my mam bought me lysine tabs a few years back and i think i got them all the more from taking them... getn married in August and im dreading the stress!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Jamie-b

Lysine. I have never taken it but everytime I get acold sore its the first thing everyone says- I get about one a year but my friend was getting a cold sore every week or 2 and now swears by it

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Minier81

+1 for lysine. I used it alot as a teenager and it did reduce the occurrence of them. don't use it any more because I don't get them as much.

I find I tend to get them if I'm run down or eating alot of rubbish, so it keeps manners on me ;)

Also definitely avoid peanuts, they are a trigger - as a previous poster mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Laika1986

Hi,

I had a coldsore last week but the scabbing process is taking ages to heal. I used sudocream yesterday but it made it real dry and itchy and have opted to go with aloe vera today. Has anyone any suggestions on how to get rid of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

Laika1986 wrote: »
    Hi,

I had a coldsore last week but the scabbing process is taking ages to heal. I used sudocream yesterday but it made it real dry and itchy and have opted to go with aloe vera today. Has anyone any suggestions on how to get rid of this?
    Alcohol or tea tree oil is good I think.
    I use the compeed patches at night time as they stay on well.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Laika1986

silly wrote: »
    Alcohol or tea tree oil is good I think.
    I use the compeed patches at night time as they stay on well.

Cheers Thanks!

Advertisement