Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing stain from oak veneer table top. How?

• 02-03-2008 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭

Someone (not me!) left a plant sitting on an oak veneer table top.

They didn't put a water tray under the plant pot.

Now, there is a circular stain left by the water seeping through the earth in the plant. The stain is dark, almost black, in colour. The oak veneer is mid-brown in colour.

Sanding really isn't an option since the stain looks quite deep and the veneer is only 3mm.

What are my options?

If I was to colour that area to match the surrounding wood, what would I use? (Presumably, any wood stain wouldn't work because it's clear/translucent. Right?)

Many thanks.

D.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 kevqcs

you can buy stain remover in most hard ware , if that dont work try
    coloron ring remover with 1000 grade steel wool, worked for me:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

try Oxalic acid

theres a Bostik owned product called Wood-mans Woodwash, I use it a lot to clean timber, never tried it on veneer tho

• Registered Users Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭secman

This method definitely works. Get a clean white cotton cloth, maybe a bed sheet. Place over the stained area and using an iron on medium heat , simply iron the area. Our son left damp clothes from the clothes line on the table last autumn and for approx 4 months we were looking at this whitish stain on the table top. My daughter came accross this and suggested it last monday. Missus applied the iron and got a fright at one stage as she could see the iron marks, but they cleared up and the stains are gone too. Definitely works. Ours is an oak veneer table too. Start on a medium heat and if it doesn't works gradually increase the heat on iron, thats what happend with us. Missus was very very sceptical but was delighted with the result.

Secman

Advertisement