Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forbidden Fruit 2012

1111213141517»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Had a great day on Sunday, saw Grimes, Little Green Cars, Death In Vegas and New Order who were all great so got more than my moneys worth for a 50 odd euro ticket. Also just as importantly, the crowd was great the way the Electric Picnic used to be and hopefully will be this year; older crowd and none or very little as*holes and troublemakers (didn't see any trouble at all at it).

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Went Monday and got there in time for Real Estate )sound was muck for them, a pie and Wilco. Who were brilliant. Better set than at Prima imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭ned rierson

real estate reminded me of the smiths live. pounding drums and barely audible guitar. wilco were class as usual. had a few brews with them after. nicest blokes you could meet

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭part time punk

Didn't make it in the end but as I live not too far away I could hear bits of it really clearly. New order finished their set with Love Will Tear Us Apart right ? Had high hopes of sitting in my back garden on Monday night listening to Wilco but couldn't hear a peep. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

real estate reminded me of the smiths live. pounding drums and barely audible guitar. wilco were class as usual. had a few brews with them after. nicest blokes you could meet

Where were the Wilco guys after the show?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

Didn't get around to posting about my Sunday at FF...

I was a bit gutted that the Trinity Orchestra weren't playing 1st thing on Sunday so I got there a little later than I originally planned and caught Daithi's last few songs and enjoyed the tunes even if there weren't many people there. I went to see We Cut Corners but only stayed for the first song. I decided to see Lower Dens because they were on the same stage before Grimes and I wanted to make sure I got a good spot.

Anyhoo, I was upfront and centre for Grimes and really enjoyed her set. I remember looking back before she started and people were trickling in and when I looked back at the end, the tent seemed nearly full. Oblivion and Genesis got the biggest reception from the crowd. Fellow Canadians Austra were on next on the main stage so I rushed over there and got there for the start of their set in plenty of time. I last saw them in Crawdaddy so seeing them on the main stage was a little strange but they were just as good if not better than their Crawdaddy gig.

I saw most of Death in Vegas' set, who were very good, though the tent was jammers. They should've been on the main stage. Since Purity Ring were on the same stage after them, I was able to get up front again. I felt sorry for them when they had some technical problems with their electronic-lamp instrument set-up. They got it working eventually and played a great set.

At that point, I was a bit wrecked and just hung out and visited the Phantom area. I enjoyed the Cast of Cheers' set but hung out in the back. They finished a little early so I was able to see New Order do a finale of Love Will Tear Us Apart. I'd have to say my first FF was a great experience. Only negatives were the queues for the jacks at times and people smoking in the tents with the security guards constantly having to tell them they can't smoke. Definite pluses were the handy location and the distinct lack of scobies. Despite the mostly bad weather, I didn't see anyone causing much trouble and there were good vibes all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭wattlendaub

Great review; I echo the sentiments of how good the general vibe of FF was, and the distinct (and much appreciated) lack of louts in attendance. Great times all round!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

he second, extremely successful Forbidden Fruit has just taken place in the grounds of IMMA, Kilmainham (with a strong Hot Press presence, as you may have noticed) but the good people at Pod are already thinking ahead to next year. And they're thinking outside The Pale. FF promoters are planning to bring Forbidden Fruit 2013 to other locations in Ireland, with sites in Cork and Galway under consideration.

Meanwhile, organisers could scarcely be happier with how this summer's edition went, issuing this statement:

"The atmosphere on each of the three days was second to none and the standard of performances from all the acts was amazing across the weekend. We were particularly pleased to see the massive success of the newly added comedy stage, the Chuckleberry Lounge. Plans are already afoot for Forbidden Fruit 2013."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭sporina

cork for 2013 i believe :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭lc180

I always thought one of the main selling points of Forbidden Fruit was that it was a city centre music festival with no need for camping!

I wonder if this decision to look somewhere else had anything to do with the IMMA. I reckon the grounds took quite a beating with all the weather this year and the folks at the museum aren't happy with the condition of their garden.

I hope it stays were it is, I went Saturday & Sunday this year and thought it was great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭PeterTwo

lc180 wrote: »
    I always thought one of the main selling points of Forbidden Fruit was that it was a city centre music festival with no need for camping!

I wonder if this decision to look somewhere else had anything to do with the IMMA. I reckon the grounds took quite a beating with all the weather this year and the folks at the museum aren't happy with the condition of their garden.

I hope it stays were it is, I went Saturday & Sunday this year and thought it was great.

I assume they mean that they'll be expanding to a 3 venue festival, like Primevera did in Porto. Sounds like a great idea to me!

PeterTwo wrote: »
    I assume they mean that they'll be expanding to a 3 venue festival, like Primevera did in Porto. Sounds like a great idea to me!

Never thought of it like that, that would be kinda cool actually! Either way I'm looking forward to next year.

Difference being is that Prima did it in 2 different countries, in cities that have bigger populations that our country (give or take)

It's a massive risk. I think the music act will have to be totally different to ensure enough people go to each location and make it feasible to run.

I'd rather have kept it in one location and ensured the high calibre of act that they have set. Move the location each year if they like but having more than one is a big big risk imo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,385 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

sporina wrote: »
    cork for 2013 i believe :)

that would be brilliant...anything to take from the utter shít that's happening in the Marquee:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

seriously can't see them moving it tbh.

can't even get it sold out in Dublin, not a hope of getting it sold out with a similar set up anywhere else.
    to cover their costs somewhere else they'd need to scale back considerably or increase ticket prices and hope people still buy them.
    if they have it in Dublin and also a 2nd site, then they'll be splitting the crowds too much, and that's before you get into the bands and their availability considering lots of the FF ones are at Primavera/Field Day that weekend already...

like it or not, there isn't a big enough music scene/population density in any other city to support something like FF. they'd have to make pretty serious changes to make it work somewhere else, and I don't see that happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

That's what I thought too, it'd also be a bit like Reading/Leeds. If the acts are already here in Ireland, they can just jet down to Cork for a second gig. I reckon they might be able to pull off two locations if it was Dublin/Cork but not anywhere else.

no FF news, but both Field Day and Primavera are now on the last weekend of May next year, so FF probably won't be getting as much cross-over from them as the last 2 years unfortunately.
    Field Day lineup was announced yesterday, pretty good: http://www.fielddayfestivals.com/line-up/
    Life Festival is usually on the last weekend of May, so plenty of the DJs/electronic acts from those 2 will probably be in Ireland for that.

Optimus Primavera in Porto will be on the same weekend as FF, so some of those acts will probably be here. only act announced there so far is Blur, but can't see them being booked for FF.

Cracking line up for Field music

So the Primavera Sound 2013 lineup was announced earlier this week. I know they aren't on the same weekend this year but should be a good indicator of a number of the bands that might be at FF 2013

PrimaveraSound2013Lineup.jpg

MODS - Apologies if this image is too big, feel free to remove and just leave link.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

If Nick Cave , Tame Impala , Wu-Tang , Band Of Horses played on one day id be happy :) . Also with MCDs Longtitude festival aswell maybe we might not see FF sadly

• Advertisement

If Nick Cave , Tame Impala , Wu-Tang , Band Of Horses played on one day id be happy :) . Also with MCDs Longtitude festival aswell maybe we might not see FF sadly

Exactly my first thoughts when I heard about Longtitude.

For purely selfish reasons I seriously hope FF happens, mainly because I live next door to it :)

Longitude will seemingly be quite different than FF, not really a direct competition.
    Longitude's main rival will be Body and Soul i reckon.

a mix of the Primavera lineup, and Field Day lineup would be great for FF.
    pretty much guaranteed that most of the FF lineup will also be at Primavera, just comes down to which ones we get...

Start a new thread for FF13 cheers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement