Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

adobe flash for google nexus 7

• 22-11-2012 12:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    I want to watch the rte player on my Google nexus but I need adobe flash player for it to work. The problem is that adobe flash isn't compatible with android any more. I've done some research on you tube and xda so I know there is a way around this, I just can't get it to work!
    Here's what i've done so far;
    1. I went into settings and enabled unknown sources.
    2. I downloaded Firefox which is the only engine that can support adobe flash on android (apparently).
    3. I went into the archived adobe flash page and selected version 11.1 for android 2 and 3. There where a lot of versions available for android 2 and 3 I didn't know which to choose so I just picked the one at the top of the list?
    4. I went into the plugin settings in Firefox and enabled them.
    5. I tried to play the rte player. I got close the first time but it was distorted and had no sound. After that it told me I needed a newer version of flash.

Has anyone solved this problem? I'm living away from home and would love to watch rte (I know, I know, it can be crap at times, just reminds me of home! First time in years i'm going to miss the Late Late toy show!)

Advice from any Google nexus users would be a great help!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,985 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BeanFlicker

Lillydee wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I want to watch the rte player on my Google nexus but I need adobe flash player for it to work. The problem is that adobe flash isn't compatible with android any more. I've done some research on you tube and xda so I know there is a way around this, I just can't get it to work!
    Here's what i've done so far;
    1. I went into settings and enabled unknown sources.
    2. I downloaded Firefox which is the only engine that can support adobe flash on android (apparently).
    3. I went into the archived adobe flash page and selected version 11.1 for android 2 and 3. There where a lot of versions available for android 2 and 3 I didn't know which to choose so I just picked the one at the top of the list?
    4. I went into the plugin settings in Firefox and enabled them.
    5. I tried to play the rte player. I got close the first time but it was distorted and had no sound. After that it told me I needed a newer version of flash.

Has anyone solved this problem? I'm living away from home and would love to watch rte (I know, I know, it can be crap at times, just reminds me of home! First time in years i'm going to miss the Late Late toy show!)

Advice from any Google nexus users would be a great help!

Hi Lillydee,

You nearly there but have it but have installed wrong version, I take it your on JB, so like you done before

1. Go to setting > security & enable unknown sources
    2. Then go to Adobe Archieves and scroll down & find Flash Player "11.1.for Android 4.0 (11.1.115.20)" and install that .apk
    3. Download dolphin browser (v. similar to Google Chrome)

RTE player will work perfectly on stock browser & dolphin, not sure about firefox as I never tried. Will not work with Google Chrome

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭thomasj

Hi Lillydee,

You nearly there but have it but have installed wrong version, I take it your on JB, so like you done before

2. Then go to Adobe Archieves and scroll down & find Flash Player "11.1.for Android 4.0 (11.1.115.20)" and install that .apk

RTE player will work perfectly on stock browser & dolphin, not sure about firefox as I never tried. Will not work with Google Chrome

Did dolphin not remove support for flash in 4.1, I tried it myself a couple of times when I tried to enable the setting I always got a message up to say its no longer supported post ice cream sandwich

You could install the stock android (from the galaxy nexus) browser. The only thing is your tablet needs to be rooted. I use that browser on my galaxy note 2 alongside an archived flash file and it works like a charm.

Link to installation instructions here
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1780746

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

If you install flash can you not still use boat browser that has flash support ?
    Or opera mobile ?

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭kenyard

nexus phone is google so the stock browser wont have flash support even if u have the apk installed.

just do what beanflicker above said. or anyone else reading this do what is in the original post, but get the apk that beanflicker links to and install that.

flash is dead is the reason behind this. adobe will continue to support it in pcs and laptops for another 2 years but not mobile devices as the web is moving to html5. rte are just lazy about updating their app, and i guess apps will take up more space when not using an external apk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭thomasj

kenyard wrote: »
    nexus phone is google so the stock browser wont have flash support even if u have the apk installed.

just do what beanflicker above said. or anyone else reading this do what is in the original post, but get the apk that beanflicker links to and install that.

flash is dead is the reason behind this. adobe will continue to support it in pcs and laptops for another 2 years but not mobile devices as the web is moving to html5. rte are just lazy about updating their app, and i guess apps will take up more space when not using an external apk

I have the galaxy nexus browser and and an old version of flash both on my galaxy note 2 and was watching the rte player earlier no problems

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Lillydee

Thanks guys, I downloaded that version, it didn't work on dolphin but it works on Firefox. Finally I can watch some cheesy TV that reminds me of home :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Dace

I downloaded the Adobe Flash Player 11.1.for Android 4.0 (11.1.115.34). It doesn't work with Chrome but works fine with Firefox so, I'm now watching RTE Player, too. Thanks for all the tips above.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 34,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Lillydee wrote: »
    Thanks guys, I downloaded that version, it didn't work on dolphin but it works on Firefox. Finally I can watch some cheesy TV that reminds me of home :-)
    As a matter of interest, how do you watch the RTE player from outside Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,016 ✭✭✭corkie

As a matter of interest, how do you watch the RTE player from outside Ireland?

With an irish based vpn!

If you want to watch BBC using there player you can use an english based VPN!

"He tasks me. He tasks me and I shall have him! I'll chase him round the moons of Nibia and round the Antares maelstrom and round perdition's flames before I give him up!" - Khan quoting Moby Dick (Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Hi Lillydee,

It definitely works on Firefox beta, but not standard Firefox.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 angry

Worked for me with FireFox but not Dolphin. I hope any updates to FireFox wont break it in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,377 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Hi, I downloaded flash player from that link (and enabled unknown sources beforehand). But still no joy when I try to use RTE player; it's telling me a more recent version of flash is required. So I downloaded it from the link provided, but still nothing. I'm still getting that same message about flash player.:(
    Can any Nexus users offer advice or help? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Cdevereux

Im having the same problem as you Zeek 12, particularly as rte doesn't seem to have an ap for rte player. My Nexus is running the OS Android 4.2.1 andthere doesn't seem to be a compatible flash player available. Anyone any solutions. Pad was bought specifically to watch rte player while abroad so pretty useless if I can't get it to work

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

Install a flash APK and try Firefox.

Firefox 18.0 and adobe flash apk 111.5

RTE Player works for me with FF on Nexus 7, Android 4.2.1

Does not work with Dolphin or Chrome.

That's very annoying. Particularly if you're abroad and it's your only way to access Irish Tv.
    I read somewhere recently that RTE are currently working on a new Android app for Rte Player, but no mention of any release dates at all.
    I'm not holding my breath!:rolleyes:

blobbie wrote: »
    Install a flash APK and try Firefox.

Firefox 18.0 and adobe flash apk 111.5

RTE Player works for me with FF on Nexus 7, Android 4.2.1

Does not work with Dolphin or Chrome.

Hi Blobbie,
    Thanks for the info. I downloaded that flash apk on my Nexus7 but it won't install. It just says "App not installed". I can't see why - I've already allowed installation of apps from other sources in my Security settings.

Can you offer any more advice or help? Thanks:)

Advertisement