Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ragweek thread time

123457»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

celty wrote: »
    Taken from later in that article.

Public order arrests last week:

Mon 15
    Tues 6
    Weds 6
    Thurs 14

= 41.
    I was talking about last year.
    Funny its actually up on last year's figure of 31, when there was a lot of publicity about the need to ban Rag Week. Now it's been banned, and there's more arrests. Go figure!
    It's almost as if throughout history the outright banning of things such as drugs, alcohol etc fails miserably every time.... you would think those in power would learn, but it's far easier for them to just BAN EVERYTHING and then blame other people when it inevitably doesn't work

• Registered Users Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Wompa1

After reading the last couple of days worth of posts what I think is that pubs aren't the main one's to blame. I think a certain pub near Woodquay nerds to be investigated as I personally have viewer them breaking the law before and they seem to profit hugely from RAG week.

Havibg said that, to all the students WHO take offense to being painted with the same brush, its obvious that this is students, right? So get angry with them for tarnishing your image rather than whinging yourselves. What happened was not minor and was not ok.

People talk about it being no worse than a typical Saturday night are full of crap. I remember roof damage in Kellys once and it was a big deal. This past week Supermacs were forced to close down, Gardai were overwhelmed and heckled and a flare was shot into a crowded area and morons actually cheered this!?

People invloved need to know their actions have consequences, that may educate some about whats acceptable behaviour and whats not.

I dekt pretty bad for the security guy in Supermacs in that video he was powerless and things couod have ended Very badly. McDonagh obviously values Making money over safety

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭niamhocxox

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Havibg said that, to all the students WHO take offense to being painted with the same brush, its obvious that this is students, right? So get angry with them for tarnishing your image rather than whinging yourselves. What happened was not minor and was not ok.

I took offense to being painted with the same brush as the students involved simply because I don't think what happened was ok. I take college seriously and still manage to have the craic but outside supermacs went too far.

I never said what happened was ok I just pointed out the fact that a tiny percentage of students were involved, just a few hundred out of 17,000 NUIG students. Its just something to be aware of. I'm sure you would feel the same if you were a hard working student. Thats hardly whinging :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭cat_xx

"Rag Day" is on the 25th of march.. something for ye to look foward to! :P

niamhocxox wrote: »

I took offense to being painted with the same brush as the students involved simply because I don't think what happened was ok. I take college seriously and still manage to have the craic but outside supermacs went too far.

I never said what happened was ok I just pointed out the fact that a tiny percentage of students were involved, just a few hundred out of 17,000 NUIG students. Its just something to be aware of. I'm sure you would feel the same if you were a hard working student. Thats hardly whinging :rolleyes:

Didnt mention you specifically but in response to this, I was a hard working student. But I may have been unique in that I didn't have much respect for students when I was one, I dient just start to distrust students when I started a professional position.

When people made statements about students when I was one I did not take it as an attack on me but rather at the way the system is. Allowing students to do mininmal hours of stift a week, get huge tax payer subsidies and using it to piss off those Very tax payers. But then, I worked in a shop before going to college where students seemed to be a minority which I felt were particulalry nasty to deal with. The majority of students I knew didnt know the value of money as they rarely had to earn it and I felt the level of education in out third level system was piss poor. But there ya go, thats just what I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shampoosuicide

fair play to pat mcdonagh for pointing out the masssive hypocrisy that's involved when people start giving out about students being rowdy. never seems to be a similar problem with race week, does there? i'd also like to know how many people suffered life-threatening injuries or were killed without provocation during rag week. which is something that consistently happens the rest of the year, with people often getting off scot free.

but wait...a FLARE! think of the children

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭ciano1

cat_xx wrote: »
    "Rag Day" is on the 25th of march.. something for ye to look foward to! :P

Where did ya hear that? Any more info? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭cat_xx

cat_xx wrote: »
    Nice of the SU to tell me I've only one day left of going-out this year. Guess I'd better not miss this!

fair play to pat mcdonagh for pointing out the masssive hypocrisy that's involved when people start giving out about students being rowdy. never seems to be a similar problem with race week, does there? i'd also like to know how many people suffered life-threatening injuries or were killed without provocation during rag week. which is something that consistently happens the rest of the year, with people often getting off scot free.

but wait...a FLARE! think of the children

Are you f'kin insane? Firstly there's usually a thread on here with people giving out about Race Week also. It tends to be a lousy week to live in the city too. Secondly, are you trying to compare wrongs to justify what happened...come on...

Put your hands up and say what happened was wrong

P.S Pat McDonagh who was not there that night and profits hugely from students after nights out said it wasn't that bad which is a deceptive commemt as it is. If talking the slabs off the roof and jumping on tables isn't too bad then maybe the Garda need to consider forcing the place to close earlier, If that happens a lot it is a major health and safety issue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,962 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Are you f'kin insane? Firstly there's usually a thread on here with people giving out about Race Week also. It tends to be a lousy week to live in the city too. Secondly, are you trying to compare wrongs to justify what happened...come on...

P.S Pat McDonagh who was not there that night and profits hugely from students after nights out said it wasn't that bad which is a deceptive commemt as it is. If talking the slabs off the roof and jumping on tables isn't too bad then maybe the Garda need to consider forcing the place to close earlier, If that happens a lot it is a major health and safety issue
    More hyperbole, ceiling tiles and roof slates are very different things, and also it doesn't happen a lot so whats the point 'if-ing and but-ing'!! A flare in a large group of people isnt very safe especially as most of the group are drunk and anywho why bring a flare on a night out. Theres nothing wrong with congregating in a public place and singing and jumping around though.
    Very good article in the Sentinel about the whole issue, worth a read if ye get a chance.

More hyperbole, ceiling tiles and roof slates are very different things, and also it doesn't happen a lot so whats the point 'if-ing and but-ing'!! A flare in a large group of people isnt very safe especially as most of the group are drunk and anywho why bring a flare on a night out. Theres nothing wrong with congregating in a public place and singing and jumping around though.
    Very good article in the Sentinel about the whole issue, worth a read if ye get a chance.

Roof slabs so. No idea what they are called on the inside. Anyway. It doesnt happen often is the whole point this is the type of crap that happens during RAG week, the student event. Post a link to the Sentinel sure and Ill have a look. On a mobile so wont look it up because am on the move

A flare in a large group of people isnt very safe especially as most of the group are drunk and anywho why bring a flare on a night out.
    "For the craic" would be the answer most people who were there would give you. Literally not one person I've spoken to who was actually "at risk" has complained about it. It's not as if someone threw a firework into the Cathedral while Mass was on, although the way some people are whinging you'd think that was what went on.

Unless you pick one up at the wrong end, with bare hands, or unless you get one lobbed in your face (which wasn't likely to happen in this incident, since everyone was looking at it), they aren't that dangerous. They are let off at football grounds around the world, including Ireland, and the only people who whinge are the bureaucrats.
    Wompa1 wrote:
    Roof slabs so. No idea what they are called on the inside.
    Ceilingtiles/squares

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Well an interesting sideline from this was when AIB in Lynch's Castle had to shut down today due to students 'occupying' the foyer.
    I arrived at the end of it when students were moving down, so I am not sure why exactly they chose AIB Lynch's Castle.

But the result, was that the money was locked away and two old dears at least were turned away (they let them in, but had the money put away) and told to come back tomorrow.

I had a non cash transaction and I asked why they shut it down. One lady said that it was for security reasons, and they didn't want anything 'like at Supermacs' the other night.

Well there you have it, whether or not they overreacted, that incident had a negative impact on student PR, and also effected other people. Whether or not you agree with the reason for the protest, it meant that people weren't able to do their business, and that didn't endear on the fence people to the cause I'd say.

**Edit: Just saw a thread on this now.

inisboffin wrote: »
    I had a non cash transaction and I asked why they shut it down. One lady said that it was for security reasons, and they didn't want anything 'like at Supermacs' the other night.
    I hope you treated this with suitable contempt and burst out laughing in her face.

What a complete joke.

What next, student complains about rude customer service in Dunnes and the shopping centre is shut down "in case we have a repeat of Supermacs"?

A flare up the arse of some of these people would do them a world of good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

I hope you treated this with suitable contempt and burst out laughing in her face.

What a complete joke.

What next, student complains about rude customer service in Dunnes and the shopping centre is shut down "in case we have a repeat of Supermacs"?

You're embarassing us (students)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭squonk

Would it not have occured to the student protestors to wait a few weeks anyway before complaining about college fees, after last week like?

What a complete joke.

Nope I didn't - she was just telling part of the reasoning behind the bank (not her) shutting. Not her fault imo, nor does she deserve contempt or a flare up the arse. You can't *make* people have a certain reaction/lack of reaction to the Supermacs Syndrome. Plenty of people think it was a disgrace.

So you think it likely that this
    Am1PzcpCMAEwpUb-300x225.jpg

Was going to turn into a few hundred heavily pissed-up students having a party inside AIB?

Ok dear.

So you think it likely that this
    Am1PzcpCMAEwpUb-300x225.jpg

Was going to turn into a few hundred heavily pissed-up students having a party inside AIB?

Ok dear.

Nope, I didn't say that. But then again I am not the one who decides to close the bank. These guys look perfectly well behaved. Then again walk by 10 mins later and what you saw was a load of security guards closing a door and a load of people chanting in front of the building. Did I find it threatening? No. Was the banks decision to react this way (to what looks like a peaceful enough protest) influenced by the gobsh*tes in Supermacs the other night? Yes. Whether wrong or right, yes it was. So they did this cause at least nofavours with that 'craic'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭EJLL

A YouTube video has been posted of Rag Week 2012 in Galway in the style of the movie Project X
    Shows footage of Supermacs Eyre Square. It looks like a dodgy safari with chimps gone wild.

Advertisement