Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you consider a 'culchie' to be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Someone who devours huge portions of bacon cabbage and spuds with brown sauce (nom nom nom).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

dirtyden wrote: »
    summerskin wrote: »
    Nope. It's the cosmopolitan nature of a city that makes it what it is. Beijing and Shanghai are great cities but hardly very cosmopolitan(and yes I've been to them) as they have quite a homogenised feel to them and not much in the way of international influence. as for Mumbai, any city where there are millions of people living in rubbish dumps can't really be considered sophisticated or cosmopolitan. All the cities I lived in, though, can.

Dublin just has a small town, culchie feel in comparison.

I will give you New york and London as cosmopoiltan, but Manchester??

Dublin is more cosmopolitan than Manchester, and that is coming form a culchie not an over defensive dub.

Dublin does not come close to Manchester as a city, sorry. Manchester has a buzz about it that Dublin could only dream of. Leeds is better than Dublin too. Dublin feels like going back in time in comparison.

It's just my opinion though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Salute people you meet as you are driving or walking always. You must salute, it's the rules

You know what 10-10-20 is :cool:

You always go to mass but you never actually go into mass, you stand outside on the porch with the men
    Those inside are women and children

on the ball

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

This is basically the epitome of culchiedom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

kfallon wrote: »
    Still better than Leitrim :pac:

I suppose, must learn to appreciate the small blessings :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,150 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Sar_Bear wrote: »
    Owning a pair of green wellies for the fields, not fancy ones for music festivals.

Green wellies for poshos and townies, black wellies for fields and bogs (pref hand me down Dunlop ones, last forever).

kfallon wrote: »
    A culchie is someone who heads straight for Coppers the minute they arrive in Dublin with sandwiches wrapped in tin foil in their pocket. Usually wear a shirt under a round neck jumper.

That's guards (mostly married) not culchies!

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Limerick and galway arent cities, waterford is most definitely not, cork is just barely a city, more like a large town, Dublin is the only true city and thats not even big.

You left out Kilkenny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭kevmol88

Topless Culchies :D
    If you thought Riverdance made Irish culture sexy, then brace yourself.

Wild wellie-wearing rural rogues from around the country will raise temperatures and set pulses racing as Cork prepares to host the raunchiest ever All-Ireland Culchie Festival later this year.

And organisers have promised the rich hurling and farming region of Cloyne in East Cork will never be the same again.

They are planning a pole-dancing competition and a topless Irish dancing display — events which are sure to get binder-twine belts and braces in a twist. Male culchie contestants will be expected to swivel and gyrate their way through the pole-dancing competition using a traditional Irish telegraph pole, complete with splinters, with female culchies using a bus stop.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/archives/2012/0704/ireland/culchie-fest-takes-on-raunchy-twist-199579.html

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Marcusm wrote: »
    That's guards (mostly married) not culchies!

Most gardai are culchies

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

Culchie is mostly used disparagingly. It's an awful word. It's a lazy sleight. Up there with bogger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 StevenGerrard

Someone Who grew up on a farm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Waterford is Ireland's oldest city
    With that Viking reference in your location you should know this

And you left out Kilkenny!

Tuam was officially a city at one point, doesn't mean it still is. Waterford isn't a city, hell it isn't even a town, it's a ****hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Fight_Night

In reality I'd only consider people from the bog and such to be culchies but if you are from Ireland and don't have a Dublin accent I'm going to call you a culchie. Nothing malicious in it, bitta banter ya know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Tuam was officially a city at one point, doesn't mean it still is. Waterford isn't a city, hell it isn't even a town, it's a ****hole.

You should see the discussions they have on this in the Waterford City Forum. There's a thread in there now about the sleight by RTÉ not to include Waterford City on Creedon's Cities. It descended into a Kilkenny City bashing fest. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

One who calls the real football, 'soccer'.
    You mean like all the major media outlets who have 'soccer' correspomdents and reporters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Anybody outside Dublin I assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

stovelid wrote: »
    Anybody outside Dublin I assume.

What about Dublin footballers? :)

The only true pure culchies are those from the town of Kiltimagh in Co Mayo, all other culchies are merely off shoots. And the tru culchie spells it coillte.

coillte.

Ehhh- thems the bhoys that minds the forests...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭puzzle factory

some one who can walk across a field without looking down and not step in cow ****e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Sauve wrote: »

What about Dublin footballers? :)

Pseudo culchies :)

Sauve wrote: »
    Ehhh- thems the bhoys that minds the forests...

Kiltimagh is Coillte Mach in Irish, hence 'coilltes' which has since become 'culchies'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Sar_Bear

Marcusm wrote: »
    Green wellies for poshos and townies, black wellies for fields and bogs (pref hand me down Dunlop ones, last forever).

Black wellies? No! The dark green ones you get in the co-op.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Dublin does not come close to Manchester as a city, sorry. Manchester has a buzz about it that Dublin could only dream of. Leeds is better than Dublin too. Dublin feels like going back in time in comparison.

It's just my opinion though.

Only my opinion too, but I visit Manchester a lot for work and as a city it does not have a huge amount to recommend it. Pretty dour city centre, lots of sprawling run down estates, has some positives too but overall i would consider it far from cosmopolitan, its almost always cold and wet too (maybe that is clouding my opinion somewhat).

Kiltimagh is Coillte Mach in Irish, hence 'coilltes' which has since become 'culchies'

That's kinda cool. I never knowd that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Chauncey

Nope. It's the cosmopolitan nature of a city that makes it what it is. Beijing and Shanghai are great cities but hardly very cosmopolitan(and yes I've been to them) as they have quite a homogenised feel to them and not much in the way of international influence. as for Mumbai, any city where there are millions of people living in rubbish dumps can't really be considered sophisticated or cosmopolitan. All the cities I lived in, though, can.

Dublin just has a small town, culchie feel in comparison.

I've been to all of the cities you lived in bar Geneva, can't say I was hugely impressed with any of them, particulary Manchester, but if you like them good for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ThatsAWrap

I've been living in Dublin half my life but from the country. Am I sill a culchie, even if I live here until I die?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

Sindri wrote: »
    You should see the discussions they have on this in the Waterford City Forum. There's a thread in there now about the sleight by RTÉ not to include Waterford City on Creedon's Cities. It descended into a Kilkenny City bashing fest. :D

I love the Waterford city forum its by far the best regional forum on boards there so Insecure about where they live it hilarious.I loved the thread where there were going to merge the city and county forums.It was quite obvious they didnt want them merged because Waterford would be seen as "less " of a city

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yea what ever about other UK cities I personally never got the buzz with Manchester myself, give me Dublin or Cork or Galway any day of the week and as for Leeds?

For me Culchies(other than the pure deal such as Coillte_Bhoy :)) are anyone from outside Dublin. Jackeens are from inside Dublin. Simples. Boggers however have no geographical locale and can be found anywhere, urban and rural.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement