Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does my bum look big in this squat rack?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

187.5kg 5x7 tonight with just 48 hrs rest went off without a hitch. Even had the energy for some benching afterwards. I hoovered my shed.

Discovered I accidentally stumbled into the Anabolic Diet without realising that was what I was doing. I started off testing out the "shakes all day with meat and veg at night" approach a la the Predator Dwarf diet yer man from Chaos and Pain and Shortness talks about and discovered it was absoluete bollox. Being starving while attempting to squat 3-4 times a week is retarded. Then I started eating no-carb meals with a few shakes thrown in as top ups and felt much better. Wasn't happy with the single carb-up day and decided I'd make it a carb-up weekend. Feels like a nice fit so far. This is basically what the Anabolic Diet describes, I stumbled across this last night while casually browsing training websites I'd blatantly deny browsing if quizzed about it.

Reps brah.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

You should give paleo a try :D

Hanley wrote: »
    You should give paleo a try :D

The menu looks utterly uninspiring. Without a weekend free-for-all theres no way I'm sticking with anything also.

200kg 7x5 today all carbed up. Was quite tough but had loads of extra energy and no plans for the afternoon so I went all bodybuilder on my upper body.

Only one session left of smolov base and it went grand despite the diet. I'm bang on 100kg today carbed up which is a nice milestone. 97 or 98ish midweek glycogen depleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

i'm eagerly awaiting a ridiculously mahoosive squat when you test with dem wraps.

• Advertisement

210kg 10x3 done yesterday. It was pretty tough mentally. Back to back Smolovs have achieved one thing if nothing else, I really want to work on my bench/deadlift over the next few weeks. I've had a hard-on for squatting and nothing else for months now but I am well and truly delighted to have at least 3 weeks of no bar on my back.

The whole no-carb thing really wasn't an issue over the last few weeks. Like I outlined above I just carb up at the weekends and my weights slowly dropping and I'm training through it. Feel well and truly knackered today though. Last Smolov session couldn't have come at a better time.

Time to come up with a suitably brutal push/pull program for the next while.

Latest update is I'm running Coan Phillipi, this one.

And doing Bench day and a Shoulder press day every week also. The Bench is Ed Coans style of Flate, Close and Incline for 2x2 then I just do high volume assistance stuff. Shoulder press is just lots of doubles with a heavyish weight and then volume assistance stuff. I'll test my squat next weekend probably.

Diet wise I'm switching from Anabolic style to Carb back loading style because my weight loss has slowed to about 1lb per week on the carb free Mon-Fri and pig out Sat-Sun. Training is also getting pretty tough to keep going glycogen depleted and I can smell stagnation, plateau and ultimately decline if I keep this up. Carb back loading is essentially another variation of keto dieting but it differs in that you never eat breakfast, meals before training are carb free, after training you pig out on carbs and on days you don't train you stay carb free all day. It's just another variation I'm experimenting with. Apparently it's easier than the Anabolic method in terms of making progress while dieting. Which is easier than a standard keto diet with one carb up per week.

Weight hit 15st 12lbs on the scales I'm too lazy to switch to kgs.

In other news I signed up for the GPC champs on June 23rd. I fly in from Spain from my hols on the 22nd. LOL. I don't know how the hell that's going to go other than that I'll be tanned.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭COH

kevpants wrote: »
    In other news I signed up for the GPC champs on June 23rd. I fly in from Spain from my hols on the 22nd. LOL. I don't know how the hell that's going to go other than that I'll be tanned.

Yes! Mens <100kg raw? See ya on the platform so :)

COH wrote: »
    Yes! Mens <100kg raw? See ya on the platform so :)

That's what I entered. Hope I'm under 100kg when I get off the plane!

Sooooooooo. I need a new bar.

Knee wraps. Seriously?

Is everyone else so retarded in them? I really couldn't walk the bar out with them on and then standing up I couldn't get my balance at all. Didn't realise you had to "learn" knee wraps. Everything I've heard is just to wrap them as tight as possible and fire away.

Weighing up my bar options. Texas Power bar that might actually survive that kind of impact if it happened again, or a disposable €100-200 bar that will probably bend at some stage.

Reading a lot that if 250kg+ is going to be on a bar you need a top end one. Thankfully that's the direction my lifts are going but I don't have the cash for that kind of outlay right now.

May just have to train in a gym for the next few weeks until I'm able to afford a new bar. Then I have to weigh up the cost of that vs replacing the bar and every paid gym session is basically just more expense added to the price of the bar.

Stupid wraps!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Turbo_diesel

One of the best logs to read on Boards Kev! Have you ever ran the coan Phillipi Deadlift cycle before? How many days a week do you plan on training? Interesting to see how you get on with carb backloading. Read the article about it on elite fts & thought about giving it a go but was too worried about my energy & lifts going to sh1t.

Sooooooooo. I need a new bar.

If its any consolation VIS did the same thing to my last good bar. The stuff I tried to straighten it out in the months after was comical!
    Knee wraps. Seriously? Is everyone else so retarded in them?

Lets just say yes so that you don't feel bad about yourself :)

I really couldn't walk the bar out with them on and then standing up I couldn't get my balance at all. Didn't realise you had to "learn" knee wraps. Everything I've heard is just to wrap them as tight as possible and fire away.

I've only ever had trouble balancing with knee wraps when I wrapped them but didn't have my leg straight. Did you try to flex your quad as you wrapped?
    Weighing up my bar options. Texas Power bar that might actually survive that kind of impact if it happened again, or a disposable €100-200 bar that will probably bend at some stage.

For the type of weight you are throwing around I'd say go with a good quality bar. Not even for the fact that cheap bars usually have useless knurling but for how it will feel in your hands and on your back when its loaded up. I lucked out and picked up a great bar from a club that closed down and its probably the best investment I've ever made training-wise. The Texas Powerbar was top of the list until then along with the York Powerbar. I've never used the York, but Boss-Eye who posts on boards from time to time assured me that they had a couple in Hercs, that the knurling was good and that they had stood the test of time down there. Both are gonna set you back ~400 lids though
    Reading a lot that if 250kg+ is going to be on a bar you need a top end one. Thankfully that's the direction my lifts are going but I don't have the cash for that kind of outlay right now.

Sell the wife?
    May just have to train in a gym for the next few weeks until I'm able to afford a new bar. Then I have to weigh up the cost of that vs replacing the bar and every paid gym session is basically just more expense added to the price of the bar.

I can help you out with somewhere to train in the interim if you're stuck.
    Stupid wraps!!

I love wraps! You're stupid!

One of the best logs to read on Boards Kev! Have you ever ran the coan Phillipi Deadlift cycle before? How many days a week do you plan on training? Interesting to see how you get on with carb backloading. Read the article about it on elite fts & thought about giving it a go but was too worried about my energy & lifts going to sh1t.

It's pretty ok energy wise. Training is absolutely fine but by jesus are you starving at the end. Those first few carbs after training are well received.

I did Coan Phil once before but missed the required reps on week 8 I think. I think that's the "now lift 20% more!!" week where you're meant to find some magical strength. At the time though I was struggling with SI issues and dormant glutes that I subsequently got fixed so hopefully I'll adapt better this time. It wrecked me last time.
    I've only ever had trouble balancing with knee wraps when I wrapped them but didn't have my leg straight. Did you try to flex your quad as you wrapped?

No, was I supposed to? I really need to watch someone else not on Youtube and copy them. I must have made a balls of it.

For the type of weight you are throwing around I'd say go with a good quality bar. Not even for the fact that cheap bars usually have useless knurling but for how it will feel in your hands and on your back when its loaded up. I lucked out and picked up a great bar from a club that closed down and its probably the best investment I've ever made training-wise. The Texas Powerbar was top of the list until then along with the York Powerbar. I've never used the York, but Boss-Eye who posts on boards from time to time assured me that they had a couple in Hercs, that the knurling was good and that they had stood the test of time down there. Both are gonna set you back ~400 lids though

Yeah there are others like the Quest bar which appears to be cheaper but still a proper power bar. The problem with them is getting the from the States and getting stung by customs and paying even more than I would for the TPB!
    Sell the wife?
    She offered to leave herself when I told her the new bar would be €400 so that might be an option.

I can help you out with somewhere to train in the interim if you're stuck.

I'll PM you and see when your next epic squat session will be so I can participate and push the max outside of the envelope onto a whole new rage precipice.

I love wraps! You're stupid!

I take it back. You're such a d1ck!

Last week has been just dumbell related upper body stuff because a) I have no bar still and b) my apparently pulled muscle in my calf is actually some form of super aids for legs.

Have a physio appointment in the morning which is a bad sign since I rarely seek professional medical assistance. The timeline of this injury is as follows:

Sunday: Strain calf, swells up, apply ice, elevate.
    Monday: Calf is quite sore to walk on but bearable.
    Tuesday: Calf easier to walk on, announce to the world that I have super human powers of recovery.
    Wednesday: Calf better again but intense burning twisting stabbing sensation in general leg area.
    Thursday: Walking now completely fine but while at rest, especially at night, an intense throbbing nerve pain left me wondering if someone wasn't using my tibia to crow-bar the hatch of a Russian tank open, whilst the tank was on fire.
    Friday: Nerve pain now extremely intense but coming in waves, when these waves arrive the glass in the windows around me visibly shakes and time itself slows down due to the intense galactical destructive power occurring just above my left ankle.
    Weekend: A blurry mess of pain, beer and gardening. Attempted to distract myself from the feeling that the ebola virus has decided to re-group and ready itself for another crack at humanity by holding a team bonding exercise weekend in my sock by getting hideously sunburnt. Plan didn't work.
    Monday: Decide to ring physio. Appearance of calf/ankle (cankle?) is the straw that broke the arthritic, suicidal camels back since the combination of weird bruising and sunburn has left it looking somewhat similar to Barney the dinosaur's ballbag.

So here's my attempt at Zen from early last week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

How much that?

Hanley wrote: »
    How much that?

I think it was 47.5kg. Happy with 4 reps at that.

Went to the physio at 7:30 this morning, she wouldn't work on me because she suspected I'd a stress fracture of the tibia.

Ended up in the VHI Clinic for an Xray at 8:30 and was told it wasn't broken it's just badly torn muscle fibres where the calf meets the tibia on the inside of my left leg.

Called the physio who booked me in for another dawn session next week. I'm already €150 lighter from this morning alone and the physio hasn't even billed me yet and I haven't bought a replacement bar!

Most. Expensive. Squat. Ever.

On the plus side I have a big bag of Difene.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSmfUtwy5cS0AoNfkOiD5AHTpaz9uGgTwniq4awGViiOV0RzcHe8RJ_qJPD

was told it wasn't broken it's just badly torn muscle fibres where the calf meets the tibia on the inside of my left leg.

Its your SI joint, obviously

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭GASMANN

Last week has been just dumbell related upper body stuff because a) I have no bar still and b) my apparently pulled muscle in my calf is actually some form of super aids for legs.

Have a physio appointment in the morning which is a bad sign since I rarely seek professional medical assistance. The timeline of this injury is as follows:

Sunday: Strain calf, swells up, apply ice, elevate.
    Monday: Calf is quite sore to walk on but bearable.
    Tuesday: Calf easier to walk on, announce to the world that I have super human powers of recovery.
    Wednesday: Calf better again but intense burning twisting stabbing sensation in general leg area.
    Thursday: Walking now completely fine but while at rest, especially at night, an intense throbbing nerve pain left me wondering if someone wasn't using my tibia to crow-bar the hatch of a Russian tank open, whilst the tank was on fire.
    Friday: Nerve pain now extremely intense but coming in waves, when these waves arrive the glass in the windows around me visibly shakes and time itself slows down due to the intense galactical destructive power occurring just above my left ankle.
    Weekend: A blurry mess of pain, beer and gardening. Attempted to distract myself from the feeling that the ebola virus has decided to re-group and ready itself for another crack at humanity by holding a team bonding exercise weekend in my sock by getting hideously sunburnt. Plan didn't work.
    Monday: Decide to ring physio. Appearance of calf/ankle (cankle?) is the straw that broke the arthritic, suicidal camels back since the combination of weird bruising and sunburn has left it looking somewhat similar to Barney the dinosaur's ballbag.

when i read that, i read bulmers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Da Za

Still doing GPC Nationals?

Da Za wrote: »
    Still doing GPC Nationals?

Maybe. Calf might still be screwed at that stage. I'm looking at weeks apparently. If I do it I'll be weak and that's for sure.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

So here's my attempt at Zen from early last week.

Was kind of hoping your dumbbell would bend.

Is the calf issue from the wrap issue?

Is the calf issue from the wrap issue?

Good question. I can't remember at what point in the lift the calf got hurt. IT was really only when I racked the bar that I realised I messed it up.

The physio doesn't really understand how I injured the section of calf that I did while performing a squat since it wouldn't typically be under any pressure.

My own view is that I injured it on the walk out. The wraps contributed here because I found walking the weight out really weird with them on and found it hard to control my feet enough to set them.

I've had alot of caffeine so the following might make no sense....

Deep breath....

Depending on how you wrap your knees you can significantly shorten the muscle length of the muscles under the wrap. If your calf was wrapped and you had them fairly cranked (assuming you didn't have straight legs/flexed quads during the wrap up) then the ability of the calf to stretch and contract walking out, standing and walking back in could have mean't that the available muscle tissue had to completely over compensate... leading to torn muscle fibres at the tibia?

I had a similar injury of the semitendinosus last year as a result of compression caused by the wraps.

Make any sense?

I've had alot of caffeine so the following might make no sense....

Deep breath....

Depending on how you wrap your knees you can significantly shorten the muscle length of the muscles under the wrap. If your calf was wrapped and you had them fairly cranked (assuming you didn't have straight legs/flexed quads during the wrap up) then the ability of the calf to stretch and contract walking out, standing and walking back in could have mean't that the available m
    uscle tissue had to completely over compensate... leading to torn muscle fibres at the tibia?

I had a similar injury of the semitendinosus last year as a result of compression caused by the wraps.

Make any sense?

That makes a ****load of sense

Just back from 2 weeks in Spain, desperately trying to avoid work so may as well update this. Didn't do the GPC comp so sights are set on November for the Leinster open. Calf appears to be completely healed, splashing about in the pool really helped work out the tightness. Slept 10-11 hours a night on the hols which helped all my aches and pains ease a lot. Babypants slept in until 11 pretty much every morning so took full advantage of that. Really good holiday, feel rejuvenated and ready to gradually work towards the Leinster Open/ my next injury over the next few months.

Prior to holidays I managed to get my bench back up to 140kg paused with a bent bar (thus a deficit bench!) which was pretty cool considering I was <100kg. I still am actually, 99kg the day after getting back from hols. I think that’s the 3rd consecutive year I’ve come back either lighter or the same weight from hols. Wifepants hating me.

As far as how I’m going to train for the next 5 or so months. I haven’t really decided yet. Definitely going to try and keep the same kind of intensity up that I had before my latest mishap. Smolov really worked well for me but I need to think like a powerlifter and build a total this summer/autumn, not just a squat. Just on intensity, a little prediction, I sense a change in the winds of the American online strength training community away from “train smart, not hard” and all the de-loading towards a more intense attitude. A few things the likes of Dave Tate and in some of the articles on joke sites like TNation point to a revival of the attitude that you should train through tiredness and soreness and lift heavy and often. This is feckin gas. Maybe the US finally realises that their weightlifters are sh1te and the only powerlifting federations they excel in are multi-ply high squat bible belt federations where the judges (cousins) have a finger over the button for the white lights at all times because they don’t train hard enough.

I’ve been of the opinion for a long time that all this de-loading is ridiculous, just because I’m older than most lifters logs I follow and have no time to train (by comparison to people who are single/childless/students etc) I’ve been so jealous of those who claim to be overtrained or tired. If I organise my training enough around the important things in my life to get near overtrained in the next few months that will be awesome.

Kind of went on a meandering rant there without mentioning how I’m going to train… obviously I started Coan DL before my layoff. Undecided as to whether I should start over at that or if it’s unlikely I can get my squat moving up again while doing it. I might go for an ME Lower day every week on a 3 week squat/deadlift rotation. Basically how I originally trained the squat and deadlift in my early days. Will give me a chance to try out my wraps/ruin my new bar (which is in the post by the way) with heavy weights regularly too. One thing that’s for sure is I’m going to bench heavy and often. For the 2 weeks I was rehabbing my calf before hols I mentioned I get a 140kg bench. I got it by doing paused max effort heavy singles every 48 hours starting out at 130kg. It was a simple addition of 2.5kg a session and in 10 days 140kg flew up after a nice pause on my chest.

So in summary I don’t know what it will look like but heavy weights, more often than recommended and always looking for 2.5kg extra every time I train.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭GASMANN

Just back from 2 weeks in Spain, desperately trying to avoid work so may as well update this. Didn't do the GPC comp so sights are set on November for the Leinster open. Calf appears to be completely healed, splashing about in the pool really helped work out the tightness. Slept 10-11 hours a night on the hols which helped all my aches and pains ease a lot. Babypants slept in until 11 pretty much every morning so took full advantage of that. Really good holiday, feel rejuvenated and ready to gradually work towards the Leinster Open/ my next injury over the next few months.

Prior to holidays I managed to get my bench back up to 140kg paused with a bent bar (thus a deficit bench!) which was pretty cool considering I was <100kg. I still am actually, 99kg the day after getting back from hols. I think that’s the 3rd consecutive year I’ve come back either lighter or the same weight from hols. Wifepants hating me.

As far as how I’m going to train for the next 5 or so months. I haven’t really decided yet. Definitely going to try and keep the same kind of intensity up that I had before my latest mishap. Smolov really worked well for me but I need to think like a powerlifter and build a total this summer/autumn, not just a squat. Just on intensity, a little prediction, I sense a change in the winds of the American online strength training community away from “train smart, not hard” and all the de-loading towards a more intense attitude. A few things the likes of Dave Tate and in some of the articles on joke sites like TNation point to a revival of the attitude that you should train through tiredness and soreness and lift heavy and often. This is feckin gas. Maybe the US finally realises that their weightlifters are sh1te and the only powerlifting federations they excel in are multi-ply high squat bible belt federations where the judges (cousins) have a finger over the button for the white lights at all times because they don’t train hard enough.

I’ve been of the opinion for a long time that all this de-loading is ridiculous, just because I’m older than most lifters logs I follow and have no time to train (by comparison to people who are single/childless/students etc) I’ve been so jealous of those who claim to be overtrained or tired. If I organise my training enough around the important things in my life to get near overtrained in the next few months that will be awesome.

Kind of went on a meandering rant there without mentioning how I’m going to train… obviously I started Coan DL before my layoff. Undecided as to whether I should start over at that or if it’s unlikely I can get my squat moving up again while doing it. I might go for an ME Lower day every week on a 3 week squat/deadlift rotation. Basically how I originally trained the squat and deadlift in my early days. Will give me a chance to try out my wraps/ruin my new bar (which is in the post by the way) with heavy weights regularly too. One thing that’s for sure is I’m going to bench heavy and often. For the 2 weeks I was rehabbing my calf before hols I mentioned I get a 140kg bench. I got it by doing paused max effort heavy singles every 48 hours starting out at 130kg. It was a simple addition of 2.5kg a session and in 10 days 140kg flew up after a nice pause on my chest.

So in summary I don’t know what it will look like but heavy weights, more often than recommended and always looking for 2.5kg extra every time I train.

+2

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Turbo_diesel

Some real interesting points there! The whole deload thing is probably worth it's own thread. I suppose the whole deload/recovery ability can be quiet individual & vary from person to person?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Seeing as you mentioned calf tightness, (and with the caveat that I aint recommending you do anything cos I know nothing about that injury or anything) I figured I'd throw this up, on the off chance that you haven't seen it.

I have had more success with this recently than all the hockey balls, sliotars or pvc pipes I have ever tried. Its rolling for the calves. It hurts a lot, but has helped me.

Advertisement