Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland: Midlands (nothing to sea here)

• 15-05-2011 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭

Apart from the spelling mistake.

That was intentional, stapeler :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭WildWater

Have not stayed here but we did pass by and it looked very nice. (we wild camped, if you can call it that, outside a friends house.) It was featured on at your service.

http://www.battlebridgecaravanandcamping.ie/

It is in a beautiful part of the country with the following in the vicinity

Carrick-on-Shannon, Leitrim, Drumshanbo, Keadue, Boyle

http://www.loughkey.ie/
    Really like Lough Key such a beautiful place (also has it's own campsite). Great for walking and cycling with kids. New High Wire Zip for 2011 also the very popular Boda Borg, adventure kingdom, tree top walk and more.

Also
    http://www.arignaminingexperience.ie/index.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,120 ✭✭✭shanec1928

http://www.theapplefarm.com/

very basic facilities wise but its something different to stay at an orchard and be surround by all the various types of apples that they have, if you take a stroll through the orchard there's an abundance of wild rabbits.

http://www.clogheen.com/

stayed here twice and both times it was horrible. the first time the camp site was filthy dirty along with all the facilities. the next time we thought we would give them a second chance but upon staying again the place was still filthy dirty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Anybody got any experience of Lough Ree park beside Athlone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

There's plenty to "Sea" here if you just follow the River Shannon down stream.
    Lough Key down through Carrick down to Shannonbridge, Portumna,Killaloe.
    I've found plenty of places for wild camping with plenty of bars with music and quite happy for you to stay in their car parks as well as wild camping places on the shores of the Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭eoinkildare

I stayed in Battlebridge campsite in 2008. nice enough site. its right on the riverbank and has it's on marina whihch was nice as i have a small boat and had brought it along.
    the pub on site was great craic with live music and good beer. the weather wasnt great one of the two nights i stayed and the ground got a bit soggy but it wasnt too bad.
    good place for a weekend away!

Eoin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭waterboy15

Stayed at lakeside holiday park on sun night in mountshannon on shores of loughd derg. Very clean and peaceful site,, lady there said they had very busy weekend, gret for water activities or biking/hiking. Only downer is 20 mins to village but a taxi is supposedly 5 quid back to campsite. Make sure to have supplies of midge repellant for evenings.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Last year in Portumna I saw a few tents and a shower/toilet block near the marina behind the forest park. Is this an official site or does anyone know if you can just pitch up? Didnt find any official site on google.
    Any information would be great thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

deadl0ck wrote: »
    Anybody got any experience of Lough Ree park beside Athlone ?

Its a kip.

We stopped in on our way around that direction at the weekend. The toilet block is tiny, and caravans are just dumped anywhere with no sense of order to the place at all. Now, it was on the side of a lake and was kinda nice, but I didn't have a good feeling about the place at all, so we left. Won't stay there and won't go back either.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Dibble

Stayed here over the weekend: http://www.theapplefarm.com/

We really enjoyed it. The kids loved the tennis court and the giant swing, and the apple juice produced on site is delicious. The place is kept very clean and Cahir is only a few kms away. It's a nice town and the castle there is fantastic.

We would definitely stay here again.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭vincent coffey

waterboy15 wrote: »
    Stayed at lakeside holiday park on sun night in mountshannon on shores of loughd derg. Very clean and peaceful site,, lady there said they had very busy weekend, gret for water activities or biking/hiking. Only downer is 20 mins to village but a taxi is supposedly 5 quid back to campsite. Make sure to have supplies of midge repellant for evenings.:)

Big plus one for this from us.
    We styaed midweek in August last year and had 4 days of amazing sun (which probably made it memorable)
    Clean and well run.
    Rent the boat with the outboard motor to explore the lough.
    Would visit again.

• Advertisement

Re: Athlone mentioned in earlier post.

Back in the early 90's I used to hire a cruiser every year from Carrick. The one thing that everyone was warned about was mooring up at Athlone. Make sure boat well locked up and nothing visible inside, nothing left on deck including brooms, boathooks etc. the only place that we were ever warned about. Don't know what it's like now but I always keep that warning in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Scarlet42

Stayed here two weekends ago (8,9,10 July)

great wee site .. it was packed.

The location is just beautiful .. right on the edge of the shannon, there is a pub at the edge of the tent area.. Washing facilites are ok.. games room with pool table.

A guy comes in to the site with a pony and trap takes you out for a 30 minute spin .. kids loved this. There is also nice playground .. small but the kds loved it.. our 5 yr old disappeard to here everytime we returned to the tent.

oh and the best thing! at 2pm on Sat the daughter of the site owner came around and collected all the kids for a kids club .. took them to the games room, then to a nearby farm and finally to the pub for crisps and juice .. she had them for 2 hours ... at no extra cost... they had a ball .. and we had few quiet pints!

lovely atmosphere about the place .. we did get great weather which also helped .. butI can highly reccomend this place.

Sean

Scarlet42 wrote: »

The location is just beautiful .. right on the edge of the shannon, there is a pub at the edge of the tent area.. Washing facilites are ok.. games room with pool table.

A guy comes in to the site with a pony and trap takes you out for a 30 minute spin .. kids loved this. There is also nice playground .. small but the kds loved it.. our 5 yr old disappeard to here everytime we returned to the tent.

oh and the best thing! at 2pm on Sat the daughter of the site owner came around and collected all the kids for a kids club .. took them to the games room, then to a nearby farm and finally to the pub for crisps and juice .. she had them for 2 hours ... at no extra cost... they had a ball .. and we had few quiet pints!

lovely atmosphere about the place .. we did get great weather which also helped .. butI can highly reccomend this place.

Sean
    Which site ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Battlebridge, Leitrim

Sean

This sounds great apart from the talk of children:D.

My children are grown up and I have grandchildren and great -grandchildren. I love them all dearly but would not be too keen on a
    holiday or a few days break with them all!!!!

I'll wait until the school holidays are over thank you very much.:)

This sounds great apart from the talk of children:D.

My children are grown up and I have grandchildren and great -grandchildren. I love them all dearly but would not be too keen on a
    holiday or a few days break with them all!!!!

I'll wait until the school holidays are over thank you very much.:)

well there is a row of trees dividing the camping area from the hard sites..we didn't go over there much .. it was full of old people shouting at the kids :);)

well there is a row of trees dividing the camping area from the hard sites..we didn't go over there much .. it was full of old people shouting at the kids :);)

I would never shout at other peoples children.
    The parents usually do quite well without my help:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Dibble

We stayed here over Paddy's weekend and loved it. The kids (8 & 11) had a ball and there was great traditional music in the on-site pub on Friday night. We found the owners very friendly and the site clean. It's also very close to Leitrim village, Carrick-on-Shannon and Boyle, so there's plenty of places nearby to check out.

Sean

Can't wait to get back down again over the summer!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement