Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Club tunes

• 09-07-2002 8:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

wat are your favourite club tunes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

Ricky Effe - "Rectifier"

I also like

Taiko - "Silence" (used to like the original, but got bored, now the remixes do it for me)

I used to play both quite a bit, in clubs.

;-phobos-)

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Dj Tiesto - Flight 643
    Faithless - God is a Dj & insomnia

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭anthonymcg

Faithless - We Come 1
    Jakatta - American Dream mixed with Rui da Silva - Touch Me (personal mix)
    Push - Strange World
    Basement Jaxx - Where's Ur Head At

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭DeeJ

underworld - born slippy

mory kante - yeke yeke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Derek_S

dee you got yeke yeke that time yea?

faves at the mo,svenson and gielan i know what you did
    rank awakening
    push legacy/strange world

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭DeeJ

yeah i got it its the Hardfloor mix. have born slippy too hurrah for me!

the one tune i cannot find on vinyl is Kaycee - Sunshine its melting my head!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Derek_S

i had a look for that song on every sight i know dee and can't find it,have the hard floor mix aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

ha ha losers guess what jonny i have that kaycee sunshine
    listen on friday i will play it.

p.s. fave tune at the mo paul oakenfold southern sun tiesto mix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

fave tune at the mo would have to be:

Disko Pizzeria vs Gianni Parrotta - Baroness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Taiko - "Silence" (used to like the original, but got bored, now the remixes do it for me)
    yeah, i heard a pretty sweet mix of that over the weekend. i never really liked the original, but would love to find out who this mix was by.
    i cant really remember much about it, just that it was stompin, and on a bit of a hard house tip.

2 of my favourites would be:
    faithless - insomnia
    hennes & cold - the second trip
    oh yeah, and the dance mix of sweet dreams (brings back all those springparty memories)

• Advertisement

Originally posted by tman

yeah, i heard a pretty sweet mix of that over the weekend. i never really liked the original, but would love to find out who this mix was by.
    i cant really remember much about it, just that it was stompin, and on a bit of a hard house tip.
    There actually has been quite a few remixes of this tune, with a Pt 1 & Pt 2 released on Nukleuz just over a month ago. Anyway remixes have been done by:
    - Darren Styles (he did part 1)
    - Joker, Michael Plasberg, Franchino (they did part 2)

Take your pick. But you're right though the remixes are quite good. Also "The Second Trip" is indeed a classic. ;)

;-phobos-)

cheers man, damn firewall's fukin up my downloads tho.
    i might order it next week.
    nukleuz's website prob has soundbites, i'll check that out now, see if i find the mix i heard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭the real ego

eh ppl come on, stardust music sounds better with you

underworld born slippy
    volts wagon no sleep
    southside spinners luvstruck (2001 mix)

lmao, ooohhhhhhhhh babbbbbbbbyyyyyyyyy.
    there was me thinkin i was a cheesy bastard:D

no sleep is one of volts wagens worst, one of the better insomnia bootlegs. pacific ocean & dirty bonnie are pretty cool

the real ego, I'm afraid I have to agree with tman. Those tunes you mentioned are too commercial, and some a tad cheesy. Out of the bunch I'd only give marks to Underworld (preferably for Dark & Long), and Stardust MSBWY (but it would have to be a remix).

Everyone can name stuff fresh off the back of one of those Ibiza compilation or Euphoria CDs. But you might as well be bowing down to Top 30 Hits. Their utter pants, and get played the most just when you're sick and tired of hearing them.

In the Dance (and not so much Electronic) industry there are a lot of artists in it for the money, and tend to churn out a similar sound. Exibit ATB, southside spinners, etc. They were all around in the dayz of MOS. They may be a tad out of date, but it was around that time, I just had it with that kind of stuff. Like I remember being at some rave a couple of years back, and it was the first time I heard Fragma - "Toca Me" (on White label, ATT). The crowd went mad, but then what did Fragma do?, they went and used their winning formula again, with Toca's Miracle (a rip off of Coco - "I need a miracle", last released on Positiva also). It was a joke, and instantly put them in the commercial scene, to be forgotten by the clubbing generation. A bad move, and a lot of those kind of money driven artists are found on the tracklisting to those all too common compilation CDs that hit you at the door of every music shop.

Having said all that, people still like them, coz if their ending up in the charts, somebody must be buying them. But those people who think their being exposed to dance music, are unfortunatly being held back from the good stuff and drawn in to this neon world of cheesy tunes. This point has been proven by the sheer amount of compilation CDs that are released every month, just because the demand is there.

But go in to any good record shop (not high street Virgin/Golden discs etc), but one that specializes in dance, and has staff that know their stuff, and you will soon realise what you've been missing. I will admit, I was one of you before I started Djing 3 years ago. Through that I was soon exposed to a completely different side of things, and it was all good :cool:

;-phobos-)

lads the question was "what are your favourite club tunes", and the lad answered. its not for you to tell him what is and what isnt his favourite style of music. granted id class it as tripe what he listed bar born slippy, but each to their own. theres been more tripe mentioned in this thread than quality in my opinion, but because thats in MY opinion it doesnt matter to the people who listed it

Helix I agree with you completely, as my post could have been interpreted as IMO. But in all fairness mate discussions like this have come and gone many times before, and frankly I'm sick of it at this stage. There were times when older members of these boards told me that it just isn't as good as it used to be. I wasn't too sure about that, but now since I've been here a little longer I tend to agree. The reason is that the same flame oriented discussions seem to pop up every couple of months, and they tend to repeat like broken records.

It usually involves someone making a point, everybody flaming him/her, and then they back down and say something like, "Oh it was just IMO". I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion, christ we all know that. I don't think anyone in their right mind should think they have a right to force their opinions down someone else's throat, but educating is another thing. From time to time I come in here and shed whatever knowledge I can, usually based on my experiences. It doesn't annoy me when people take it with a pinch of salt, even though I took the time to post it. I put it there so people can have more choice in their quest for knowledge, and it makes me feel good that I can actually contribute something positive.

I believe my last post was informative, and perhaps will open peoples eyes a little. But I don't expect for everyone to agree with what I said. I just put it out there, I don't care what people think. I just put it there, so people can see what I think, and then choose for themselves what they want to do.

Christ if I hadn't been up all night, I nearly start a thread in Newbies FAQ pointing out the fact that IMO wars seem to be an all to common thing on these boards. ;)

;-phobos-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Originally posted by phobos
    Christ if I hadn't been up all night, I nearly start a thread in Newbies FAQ pointing out the fact that IMO wars seem to be an all to common thing on these boards. ;)

And the majority of the time you seem to be in the thick of them. ;)

but phobos, some people dont wanna be educated in the underground... and the underground doesnt want to educate some people. some things are better left the way they are, if the person has interest in going deeper they always will, theres nothing to stop them. but bringing the underground to the masses usually results in catastrophe (ie the dying dance scene at the moment, altho im 100% safe in the belief that this impending dance recession is the best thing thats happend to the dance scene since jamie principle started messin round with a 303)

good man helix

but whoever the fock those others are, i couldnt give a **** if u think they are cheese

im not actually into cheese at all, im a house man, i fukin love it, but i also think that u cant beat one of those floorfillers that everyone knows the words or a beat that everyone loves

i never said these tunes were my fav tunes, coz u wouldnt get a cheesey number anywhere near my top 10

phobos "coco on positiva" was a rip off a good tune, nalin v coco i need a miracle, are u just tryin to look knowledgable, u jsu t spout what everyone knows

phobos dont be such a patronizing fuker, i dont buy my records in "high street" shops, i buy them in abbey discs, one of the most recognised contributors to the irish dance music scene**, so i dont need to realise "what ive been missing", because i havent been missin anything

phobos i too have seen the light, thank u, i owe u one.....

helix, u rule

that is all

** anyone who shops in abbey discs hates it, well the majority anyway, and many just get their records in hmv, who have an excellent range, going against ur high street store theory

• Advertisement

another point.... tocas miracle was neither by fragma or coco, twas a bootleg. not tryin to be smart or anything, but in fairness, it youre gonna try to show what you know in a post please use facts

I knew this was going to spark some tension ;)

Right first of all I want to appologise if I sounded patronizing, coz that wasn't my intention.

Secondly, in my coco/fragma point, I went back one level, I didn't realise marks were going to people that could go back the furthest. You know as well as I, that a lot of tunes date back to pre dance eras. I'm not saying that I know it all, I didn't suggest it, but you know the type of "dance" fanatic I'm describing. Go on Dj Otzi :D
    . but bringing the underground to the masses usually results in catastrophe (ie the dying dance scene at the moment, altho im 100% safe in the belief that this impending dance recession is the best thing thats happend to the dance scene since jamie principle started messin round with a 303)
    I agree completely, but I often think that most people aren't even aware it exists, hence are not even given an opportunity to get to grips with it.

the real ego, for someone who has been buying tunes in abbey, I'm shocked. Surrely bill could sort you out with something better?, but then again you're probably don't want to make the transition, fair enough.

Lads (both of you), it's difficult for people to express themselves, and raise their points effectively using text & emoticons. God knows how many times I've seen it. I'm not the slightest bit suprised that my last post annoyed ye, I practically expected it would. But a lot of people would have known what I meant, and not being as quick to jump on eachothers backs, when replying back with a "defending my status" type remark. You have to be a little bit more accomodating towards posters on these boards, not everyone is out to get you. You may read something, and think that it's a direct dig. Most likely it's not. *think* before you speak.

Moral: If you remember anything, remember this!, I don't pretend to know more than you, I just like to educate where I can. But sometimes people find this intimidating. I appologise in advance. nuff said :)

;-phobos-)

i honestly cant stand abbey discs! eurgh! all it stocks is heeeeeerd heeeewse, and then the lowest common denominator muck from other genres. give me good oul selectah or urban outfitters any day

I knew this was going to spark some tension ;)

Right first of all I want to appologise if I sounded patronizing, coz that wasn't my intention.

I

the real ego, for someone who has been buying tunes in abbey, I'm shocked. Surrely bill could sort you out with something better?, but then again you're probably don't want to make the transition, fair enough.

Moral: If you remember anything, remember this!, I don't pretend to know more than you, I just like to educate where I can. But sometimes people find this intimidating. I appologise in advance. nuff said :)

;-phobos-)

phobos, i dont take anything to heart at all, but u shouldnt try to educate someone who's depth of knowledge u are not aware of. just because i named a few tunes u think are cheesey doesnt mean i dont like good dance music

and what transition, "to the underground". helix is as underground as any dj i've ever heard, and the tunes i play arent exactly mainstream..

u apologise for a patronising post, with another patronising post

i dont want an argument, but u shouldnt think u know more than people u dont know

Originally posted by the real ego
    phobos, i dont take anything to heart at all, but u shouldnt try to educate someone who's depth of knowledge u are not aware of. just because i named a few tunes u think are cheesey doesnt mean i dont like good dance music
    I suppose I will admit it being quite narrow-minded of myself, to consider that. The reason I say this is because, since I've been in to the scene for ages, and Djing for the last 3, I assumed someone in a similar position would choose something a little more unknown. Not saying that unknowns have to be better than more common "cheesy" stuff, to everyone. It's just that with Djing you get to hear an auful lot of tunes. 80% of which you may not hear away from your own equipment, so the chances are that you will select something along those lines as your fav tune. But then again you proved me wrong, so I'll just regard that notion as being something that "I do" as opposed to everyone else.

Once again, I didn't intend on being patronizing, you're the first person to say that to me TBH. I appologise again. But now that I look back I can see how it may have happened. The tunes you posted gave me the impression that you were the infamous "one of those" type people, that when asked, say that they're in to all kinds of music. But start to name anything out of the chart circle, and they soon retreat. I meet these kind of people on a regular basis. Then there's the dance fanatics that love a certain type of dance music, and are completely oblivious to any other types. More often than not, those people would love to be aware of what else is out there, but they've never gotten the opportunity. My mistake was assuming you were one of those type people. The problem here was not that I think I know more than anyone else, it was rather stupid of me to make assumptions about people I honestly don't know. ;)

;-phobos-)

oh phobos, give me a hug

Oh ego!, I can't, coz you're a stranger :p

;-phobos-)

well stop fukin winkin at me, u weirdo

I suppose I will admit it being quite narrow-minded of myself, to consider that. The reason I say this is because, since I've been in to the scene for ages, and Djing for the last 3, I assumed someone in a similar position would choose something a little more unknown. Not saying that unknowns have to be better than more common "cheesy" stuff, to everyone. It's just that with Djing you get to hear an auful lot of tunes. 80% of which you may not hear away from your own equipment, so the chances are that you will select something along those lines as your fav tune. But then again you proved me wrong, so I'll just regard that notion as being something that "I do" as opposed to everyone else.

Once again, I didn't intend on being patronizing, you're the first person to say that to me TBH. I appologise again. But now that I look back I can see how it may have happened. The tunes you posted gave me the impression that you were the infamous "one of those" type people, that when asked, say that they're in to all kinds of music. But start to name anything out of the chart circle, and they soon retreat. I meet these kind of people on a regular basis. Then there's the dance fanatics that love a certain type of dance music, and are completely oblivious to any other types. More often than not, those people would love to be aware of what else is out there, but they've never gotten the opportunity. My mistake was assuming you were one of those type people. The problem here was not that I think I know more than anyone else, it was rather stupid of me to make assumptions about people I honestly don't know. ;)

;-phobos-)

seems to me you think youre dave clarke. djing 3 years? ooooooh you know it all really dont ya

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Originally posted by Helix

seems to me you think youre dave clarke. djing 3 years? ooooooh you know it all really dont ya

Seems to me all you want to do is flame.
    phobos explained himself and apologised (not that there was really any need for an apology).
    What's your problem?
    Maybe you should just stick to the energy board where intelligent conversation doesnt seem to exist.

Advertisement