Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Avengers (2012) *spoilers from post 1181*

• 14-05-2010 10:17pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

1z2jfdi.jpg

Paramount Pictures and Marvel Studios are scheduled to release the live-action film The Avengers on May 4, 2012. Joss Whedon will direct the film and Iron Man director Jon Favreau is executive producing.

Robert Downey, Jr. = Iron Man
    Don Cheadle = War Machine
    Chris Hemsworth = Thor
    Tom Hiddleston = Loki
    Scarlett Johansson = Black Widow (as seen in Iron Man 2)
    Chris Evans = Captain America.
    Samuel L. Jackson signed on to play Nick Fury as part of an unprecedented deal with Marvel Studios and Paramount Pictures for nine pictures, including The Avengers and its respective sequels.

Possibly...
    Edward Norton stated in an interview with MTV that he would like to appear in The Avengers and that he would be happy to see The Hulk as the villain.
    Lou Ferrigno, who voiced Hulk in 2008's The Incredible Hulk, stated that he would be involved in the film.

In October 2009 Favreau confirmed to MTV that he will not be directing The Avengers. He also commented on the difficulty of directing such a film stating; "It's going to be hard, because I was so involved in creating the world of Iron Man and Iron Man 2 is very much a tech-based hero, and then with Avengers you're going to be introducing some supernatural aspects because of Thor... How you mix the two of those works very well in the comic books, but it's going to take a lot of thoughtfulness to make that all work and not blow the reality that we've created."

In a January 26, 2010 interview with SFX, Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige was asked will it be difficult to meld the fantasy of Thor with the high-tech science fiction of Iron Man in The Avengers. He answered; "No, because we're doing the Jack Kirby/Stan Lee/Walt Simonson/J. Michael Straczynski 'Thor.' We're not doing the blow-the-dust-off-of-the-old-Norse-book-in-your-library 'Thor.' And in the 'Thor' of the Marvel Universe, there's a race called the Asgardians. And we're linked through this Tree of Life that we're unaware of. It's real science, but we don't know about it yet. The 'Thor' movie is about teaching people that". Feige also confirmed that the Hulk would appear in the film. In April 2010 Stan Lee and Avi Arad confirmed that Joss Whedon will direct the film.

Thanks Wikipedia!

Any chance of someone writing a quick synopsis for each character as mentioned above? i.e. their superpower, background etc?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,027 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The logical side of my brain tells me to be cautious, because going on past experience, adding too many characters to a supehero movie tends to create unfocused rubbish. The other side of my brain just keeps shouting "Joss Whedon! Woo!" repeatedly. For now, I'm going with 'woo!'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

I'll believe Whedon is directing when the film is actually in full production cus he got very far into developing Wonder Woman and that fell apart.

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Any chance of someone writing a quick synopsis for each character as mentioned above? i.e. their superpower, background etc?

Is wikipedia broken? surely you can look up the characters yourself?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

ztoical wrote: »
    Is wikipedia broken? surely you can look up the characters yourself?

Thanks. Besides their synopses being pretty long (multiply that by 8; for every character); I'd rather hear it from a comic book fan rather than the bland facts of wikipedia. It also promotes talk between comic book fans which I enjoy reading. Is that such a crime?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Like johnny_ultimate I too am torn between yay because Joss Whedon is involved and worry because of all the characters (and actor egos) that will have to be dealt with.

Still though, it'll be nice to see it on the big screen considering they've been talking about the damn thing for the past few years.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 10,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Thanks. Besides their synopses being pretty long (multiply that by 8; for every character); I'd rather hear it from a comic book fan rather than the bland facts of wikipedia. It also promotes talk between comic book fans which I enjoy reading. Is that such a crime?

The bland facts of wikipedia regarding comics and comic characters are generally contributed and edited by comic fans. Not to mention that with Avengers comics having been in publication since, oh, sometime in the late 60s, there's rather a lot of material to choose from and usually multiple interpretations of the various characters involved.

Whedon would be a very interesting director for this, but I'll believe it's happening once it's actually being filmed. Apart from anything else, the Avengers film will still be dependent on both Thor and Captain America doing well as standalone films, which we won't know for a while...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

You forgot Olivia Munn as the Wasp/Janet van Dyne

olivia-munn-belly1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,270 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Hulk: David Bruce Banner is a scientist who becomes irradiated with Gamma radiation and when he gets angry turns into the green behemoth that is The Hulk
    Powers: Incredible strength that grows exponentially with his anger, also great invulnerability

Thor: Odin sends his son into the body of Dr. Donald Blake and is the ancient god of myth
    Powers: Great strength, endurability and wields the mighty hammer Mjolnir which allows him to fly and controls storms

Loki:The half brother of Thor also known as the trickster
    Powers: Shapeshifter, great strength and endurability, expert in the arcane arts

Giant-Man/Wasp: married couple Janet and Henry Pym who have the ability to change their size due to a formula Henry invented
    Powers: ability to change size, Janet also grows wings when she shrinks
    Henry was also able to control ants through a helmet when he was Ant-man

Captain America: Mild mannered Steve Rogers signs up for the Super Soldier experiment and becomes a national symbol during WW2 but later becomes frozen in the Antarctic. Thawed out decades later he takes up the mantle of the hero of the people again
    Powers: His body has been brought to the peak of human ability and so has greater strength, endurance, agility, speed, reflexes, durability and healing than the average person
    Also wields a shield which he can use like a frisbee to take down his enemies, it is incredibly strong due to being made up of Adamantium, Vibranium and unknown element that got in during the manufacturing process

Iron Man: Inventor and Billionaire Tony Stark invents shiny suit that has loads of toys, go see the film

War Machine: watch Iron Man 2

Nick Fury: Leader of the S.H.I.E.L.D. agency and war hero
    Powers: Expert in combat, his aging has been slowed due to a formula

Black Widow: Natasha Romanoff is a former Russian spy and now a freelance S.H.I.E.L.D. agent
    Powers: expert in martial arts and espionage, uses wrist mounted blasters

• Registered Users Posts: 84,319 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Joss Whedon directing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I'd like them to basically condense the first arc of The Ultimates comic. Bruce Banner is working for the Avenger programme, but then goes loose and causes mayhem across Manhattan.

I liked how they handled Thor too - he was either a mental patient with a high-tech alien hammer, or a Norse God.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Joss Whedon directing :)

Joss Whedon has signed on to direct like he did with Wonder Woman...like I said earlier I'm not getting excited about Whedon until he's actually sitting behind a camera shooting footage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

I read somewhere that Joss is not only rewriting the treatment for The Avengers but also working on the Captain America material too. I have a good feeling about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I read somewhere that Joss is not only rewriting the treatment for The Avengers but also working on the Captain America material too. I have a good feeling about this.

Yeah i heard part of his agreement to do the Avengers was if he could dabble in the Captain America story, Looking forward to this now :D

Joss is a legend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Fysh wrote: »
    Whedon would be a very interesting director for this, but I'll believe it's happening once it's actually being filmed. Apart from anything else, the Avengers film will still be dependent on both Thor and Captain America doing well as standalone films, which we won't know for a while...

You think they would hold fire until they see how Thor and Captain America fair among the general audience, but Chris Hemsworth (Thor) said that filming is earmarked for January or February 2011. Before Cap and Thor even come out.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=64674

Risky move in my humble opinion.

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    You think they would hold fire until they see how Thor and Captain America fair among the general audience, but Chris Hemsworth (Thor) said that filming is earmarked for January or February 2011. Before Cap and Thor even come out.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=64674

Risky move in my humble opinion.

Or it could be that they are that confident of one or both of Thor/Cap being massive.

Plus it makes sense to have it shot beforehand, that way if Thor or Cap turns any of the leads into bigger names, then Marvel will have them already on film for the Avengers before their price per film jumps.

Also means less of a gap between films, so the hype machine for the Avengers can kick into gear big timestraight after those films.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Cant wait to see this on the big screen but my only major concern is too many big name characters in the one film and the effect this could have on character development and story.

On the other hand you could say that this has been dealt with in the sole character films to date and still to come.

Anyone care to speculate on potential story line??

Kess73 wrote: »
    Or it could be that they are that confident of one or both of Thor/Cap being massive.

Plus it makes sense to have it shot beforehand, that way if Thor or Cap turns any of the leads into bigger names, then Marvel will have them already on film for the Avengers before their price per film jumps.

Also means less of a gap between films, so the hype machine for the Avengers can kick into gear big timestraight after those films.

Not sure if it's a case of being confident and more a case of contracts being in place and the recent sale of Marvel to Disney means there's a risk they won't have the same control of the project they have now. Disney has to honor all deals in place as part of the buy out but the production companies involved prob want to make sure they get the films through before their contracts run out as they don't know if Disney will want to go in the same direction if Thor and/or Captain America bomb.

ztoical wrote: »
    Not sure if it's a case of being confident and more a case of contracts being in place and the recent sale of Marvel to Disney means there's a risk they won't have the same control of the project they have now. Disney has to honor all deals in place as part of the buy out but the production companies involved prob want to make sure they get the films through before their contracts run out as they don't know if Disney will want to go in the same direction if Thor and/or Captain America bomb.

Good point. Had not even considered the Disney side of things until you said it.

Kess73 wrote: »

I'm not sure that would be an issue because Marvel has tended to get their actors to sign multi-film deals. Evans and Jackson for example signed a 9 movie picture deal, so even if the films they are in are huge financial successes I don't think they can demand more money because of the long term contract they signed.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    I'm not sure that would be an issue because Marvel has tended to get their actors to sign multi-film deals. Evans and Jackson for example signed a 9 movie picture deal, so even if the films they are in are huge financial successes I don't think they can demand more money because of the long term contract they signed.

Surely they'll only get 3 films max out of it? Best case scenario is the X-Men deal; where after three, one or two might get a spin-off movie and that's it. Probably the film company just covering their asses; 9 films tho? Easy money for the actors tho...

I can see Thor getting his own movie; not Captain A though. Hopefully he's awesome but I can't see it performing well as a draw by himself...

Surely they'll only get 3 films max out of it? Best case scenario is the X-Men deal; where after three, one or two might get a spin-off movie and that's it. Probably the film company just covering their asses; 9 films tho? Easy money for the actors tho...

I can see Thor getting his own movie; not Captain A though. Hopefully he's awesome but I can't see it performing well as a draw by himself...

Well you have to assume they will get a standalone franchise out of Cap, just like they are doing with Iron Man. Chris Evans is a popular actor among the younger general audience so I would be confident of the film performing well. So, let's assume there are 3 films in the Cap franchise. Then films in the Avenger franchise. That's 6 off the bat, then you have possible cameos in future Thor, Iron Man films etc etc.

I'm not saying that it will work out for Marvel, but either way if they do end up having 9 films that they want Evans to be in then I assume Evans has to do them for the money he's already agreed to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

He would be a much bigger draw in the States than Thor thats for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Cap's comics in recent years have been excellent, mostly as a result of Ed Brubaker's writing. If they use a similar tone in the movie, it'll be class. The whole espionage thing usually goes down well with moviegoers anyway, even if it's a guy in a blue costume.

I think Thor's actually a slightly tougher sell than Cap; a surprising number of people don't like supernatural elements in fiction. Hopefully, word will spread of his awesomeness when the movie is released!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Anyone else notice that this movie (in an animated version) has been playing on Sky movies lately?

Its quite good I have to say

Anyone else notice that this movie (in an animated version) has been playing on Sky movies lately?

Its quite good I have to say

Yeah that is based on the Ultimate version of the Avengers rather than the standard Marvel universe (Earth 616)

My money is on the Avengers movie staying more in line with the storylines from the Ultimates graphic novels.

I reckon it is one of three, with the first being the most likely.

Hulk
    as the main opposition to the Avengers.

or

Hulk
    being the intial opposition to the Avengers for the first third of the film, then the
    Chitauri
    arrive to take over the Earth and
    Hulk
    fights with the Avengers against them.

Or

It decides to jump forward a bit in the Ultimates arc, and goes straight for the team kicking the snot out of
    Thor
    after Loki sets him up. This leads into the Grand Theft America storyline where superpowered beings from
    Russia, China, and the Middle East
    come together with their governments blessing and financial backing to neutralize the perceived threat of an American super team. This leads to a massive smackdown and just when the Avengers/Ultimates seem to have won,
    Loki brings in the Frost Giants, Giant Wolves, Trolls etc
    to kick some hero ass. But then
    Thor comes back and brings the Asgardian gods into the fray
    and and even bigger scrap follows.

Now option three I would like to see myself, but it will never happen. Option two would be very possible in my eyes, but I have a feeling they will go for option one.

http://www.hitfix.com/articles/2010-7-11-exclusive-edward-norton-s-agent-responds-to-marvel-ceo-s-statement

Edward Norton out as Bruce Banner aka Hulk :(

But in other news

http://www.hitfix.com/galleries/2010-6-5-10-stories-you-may-have-missed-jeremy-renner-on-target-for-the-avengers?m=j
    It's been long speculated and rumored that Jeremy Renner ("The Hurt Locker") would join the cast of Joss Whedon's "The Avengers" (assuming Whedon is really directing it) as the expert marksman Hawkeye, but that talk died down when it appeared he'd be joining the Universal tentpole "Battleship." Instead, according to The Hollywood Reporter, Renner is trying to work "The Avengers" around Paul Thomas Anderson's continually delayed untitled Scientology drama.
    "The Avengers" would find Renner as Clint Barton, a non-powered hero who initially started out as a misguided villain when he debuted in Marvel Comics over 40 years ago. Hawkeye would join Iron Man (Robert Downey, Jr.), Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson), Captain America (Chris Evans), Thor (Chris Hemsworth), The Black Widow (Scarlett Johansson) and War Machine (Don Cheadle) in the ensemble hero flick. It appears Marvel is keen on including The Hulk, but they have still not agreed to a deal that would bring Ed Norton into the mix.
    "The Avengers" currently has a May 4, 2012 release date.

Jeremy Renner would be a good addition to the cast imo

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

That sucks about Norton. Hopefully they'll all hug it out and he'll climb back on board.

http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2010/07/14/mark-ruffalo-as-the-hulk/

It’s certainly one of the more left-field choices from Marvel’s casting department. But there does seem to be some truth to the idea that Mark Ruffalo, who can be seen right now in the critically-acclaimed The Kids Are All Right, could be the next Incredible Hulk in Marvel’s The Avengers movie, which Joss Whedon is on board to direct. The news that Ruffalo was in talks to take over the role most recently played by Edward Norton was first reported by Deadline.
    Sources confirm that there is interest in the 42-year old actor for the role, but negotiations have yet to take place. Marvel and Ruffalo’s reps declined to comment. Marvel does have a penchant for casting serious actors as superheroes and, admittedly, it would be nice to see Ruffalo break out from his indie corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

Can't really fault the casting of Ruffalo, if your going to replace Norton, replace him with an actor in the same tier, and they have done exactly that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

There are alos talks of Joaquin Phoenix being cast as the Hulk?
    Not a bad choice I think.

http://www.worstpreviews.com/headline.php?id=18273&count=33
    Joaquin Phoenix is The Hulk in "The Avengers"?

Posted: July 12th, 2010 by WorstPreviews.com Staff
    headline16979.jpg
    A lot has been going on with "The Avengers" recently. Edward Norton was all set to reprise the role of Bruce Banner/The Hulk, until Marvel fired him. But with Comic-Con almost here, who will the studio hire?

Many have suggested for Eric Bana (The Hulk) to be brought back, but Marvel is heading in a slightly different direction. Chud has learned that an offer has gone out to Joaquin Phoenix (Walk the Line, The Village), who has yet to accept.

Phoenix hasn't done much in Hollywood lately, having been busy with his mockumentary which apparently involves someone defecating on him. Becoming the new Hulk will be a big way for him to return to acting and give Marvel a reason to make "The Incredible Hulk" sequel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I really liked Norton's Banner, this sucks! Phoenix is great actor, but it'd be nice if the role had a consistent face.

Jeremy Renner would be an excellent Hawkeye, he'd be able to give the character the intensity and levity that Clint so often exhibits.

Advertisement