Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Madden NFL 12

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

There was loads in GS in Tralee it seems.

Anyways, if ye lads have anything going let me know, would be up for playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭Justin10

Lads anyone know how much you get for madden 11 trade in?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭JohnnyRyan99

Just picked up a Xbox 360 version, gonna activate my Xbox Live again this evening... Is there a 360 league going this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

There is JohnnyRyan

It'll be started in the next week or two, just keep checking the thread

What's your xbox live tag and I'll add you
    Though I'm not the commish

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

I'm pretty pants at it but wouldn't mind joining an xbox live league if possible. Gametag is Bayushi Ken

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭JohnnyRyan99

mikemac wrote: »
    There is JohnnyRyan

It'll be started in the next week or two, just keep checking the thread

What's your xbox live tag and I'll add you
    Though I'm not the commish

Cheers man

PoonTownWarrior is my Gamertag

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭markontap

I'd like to get a PS3 league up and running if there's enough interest. I'm sick of watching the Xbox lads have the craic. Here's a list of interest so far. Anyone I've left out?

markontap
    Tom Brady
    JohnmcDnl
    infacteh
    Rochey18

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭McG

got it for €30 off a Hong Kong seller on eBay so it might be a week or two before I'm ready for the next league (xbox) and hopefully it doesn't get stuck at customs.

did anyone else think the demo seemed really fast?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

markontap wrote: »
    I'd like to get a PS3 league up and running if there's enough interest. I'm sick of watching the Xbox lads have the craic. Here's a list of interest so far. Anyone I've left out?

markontap
    Tom Brady
    JohnmcDnl
    infacteh
    Rochey18
    I,ll play..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭cena

markontap wrote: »

markontap
    Tom Brady
    JohnmcDnl
    infacteh
    Rochey18

I'll join. But I'm not getting the new one. Have the 11. If anyone wants a game some time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

If any Xbox heads wanna add Chad Ochocinco his gamertag is Estaban 85...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Played this game for the first time last week and my god I think it's a hell of a lot better than Madden 11. The tackling is drastically improved.

Xbox Lads: Gonna give it a week for everyone to pick up the game and get used to it. Then we will hold the fantasy draft. The draft will more than likely go ahead on either a Sunday or Monday with a 8 or 9pm start.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

SantryRed wrote: »
    Played this game for the first time last week and my god I think it's a hell of a lot better than Madden 11. The tackling is drastically improved.

Xbox Lads: Gonna give it a week for everyone to pick up the game and get used to it. Then we will hold the fantasy draft. The draft will more than likely go ahead on either a Sunday or Monday with a 8 or 9pm start.

While the tackling has improved the game suffers from a uncanny amount of unique flaws which at times can be game breakers.

The invisible player one is quite bad.

http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/91537022

Then you have the mother of all suction blocking with RB's who stay in to block.

It plays better then 11 but my god with the amount of flaws present it's also a step back.

Also apparently the Titans now play in New York according to Gus Johnson.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭TheHumanOnion

Have played 12 or 13 games on the PS3 so far and haven't come across any of the flaws yet. Kinda find the blocking to be a bit TOO good at times though, using Ryan Grant to easily break for 20 or 30 yard rushes against the Steelers on numerous occasions

The commentary is terrible though. Gus Johnson is just awful. Think I'll be throwing together my own playlist on the laptop and muting the game :(

Have played 12 or 13 games on the PS3 so far and haven't come across any of the flaws yet. Kinda find the blocking to be a bit TOO good at times though, using Ryan Grant to easily break for 20 or 30 yard rushes against the Steelers on numerous occasions

The commentary is terrible though. Gus Johnson is just awful. Think I'll be throwing together my own playlist on the laptop and muting the game :(

Trust me they are extremely annoying and really show how much of a backwards step Triburn have done in this production.

Nearly smashed my controller on this play. Full house blitz, im controlling the DE CPU controlling the Blitzing Sam Shields. He gets through and im thinking yes going to get a sack but no instead he runs straight over to the blocking RB.

W
    T
    F

http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/91591478

Gotta play it in frames as it's quite quick. That sh*t is f*cking unacceptable.

Yeah, that sort of thing is just stupid!! Now that I've seen that I remember something similar happening to me, where Matthews came up on the blitz and went straight for the RB. I was controlling Hawk and managed to barely get in for the sack before the QB got rid of it

Thought nothing of it at the time, but now I know it wasn't just a once off thing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

got this for the xbox friday and i've played about 7 games so far but i've found i can beat teams comfortably at Pro level but cant complete passes at all with All Pro, any tips? also what level would i need to be at to play in the league?

got this for the xbox friday and i've played about 7 games so far but i've found i can beat teams comfortably at Pro level but cant complete passes at all with All Pro, any tips? also what level would i need to be at to play in the league?

It's hard really to give tips for All Pro because it's horribly inconsistent and full of double standards. The CPU has super LB's and DB's but then your team will be a bunch of failures at those positions against the pass who NEVER put their hands up to try make a play even when you'v pressed Y or LB. Iv never played a more frustrating game then playing defence on Madden 12.

On Offence you really got to hang in the pocket and let plays develop. CPU calls a ton of Zone plays and really you have to hang in their for other players to take advantage of DB's already occupied in their zone. Don't rely on Play action since it doesn't work. Don't use game flow since the CPU will draw up a magical counter play each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Stev_o wrote: »
    It's hard really to give tips for All Pro because it's horribly inconsistent and full of double standards. The CPU has super LB's and DB's but then your team will be a bunch of failures at those positions against the pass who NEVER put their hands up to try make a play even when you'v pressed Y or LB. Iv never played a more frustrating game then playing defence on Madden 12.

On Offence you really got to hang in the pocket and let plays develop. CPU calls a ton of Zone plays and really you have to hang in their for other players to take advantage of DB's already occupied in their zone. Don't rely on Play action since it doesn't work. Don't use game flow since the CPU will draw up a magical counter play each time.

ye i keep getting picked off and yet my players in my secondary just get hit in the face with the ball, very frustrating!

The more i play this the more i hate it. It's probably the most frustrating sports game iv ever played and hell iv played NBA 2K11 not knowing a thing about basketball!

Your game experience is just crushed by animations that are beyond stupid. Just given up a touch down there that should of never been but my DB was stuck in a chop block animation effect where he was stumbling despite this the RB ran right into him and just slide on the spot to his left.

Honestly it's the worst sports game iv ever played. It's f*cking lazy coding all over and beyond bullsh*t.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

The more i play the less I like, gotta agree, only missing a few cheevo's might end up trading this in, which is sad as I still have 7-11 in my collection

Played pro level and it's run, run, run and win comfortably.
    I'll move difficulty up a gear

Maybe it's just me but I'm finding if a receiver goes to jump for a ball you can deliver a brutal hit and they will almost always come down with it.
    Doesn't seem realistic to me, wasn't like this in the last Madden

4 seconds into video you ll see the stupid collision system fail flat on it's face.

http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/91724541

• Registered Users Posts: 33,136 ✭✭✭✭Penn

mikemac wrote: »
    Played pro level and it's run, run, run and win comfortably.
    I'll move difficulty up a gear

Yeah, the running game definitely seems a lot easier.

I like the game overall, but the new camera angles are shocking. And its unfair that some of my players are always on a Cold Streak for no apparent reason

Barrington wrote: »
    And its unfair that some of my players are always on a Cold Streak for no apparent reason

The whole "Cold Streak" makes no sense to me at all. Caught 13 passes for 3 TDs with Greg Jennings in one game, played well in the weekly practice, yet was on a cold streak for the next game

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

This hot and cold streak is bloody awful. Had Reggie Wayne catch at least 10 passes for 4 TD's but he was on a cold streak the following week...

WTF?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Can someone give me some tips for online please? I'm 0-3 and although I've only been beat comfortably in one of those games I really should have won the other 2 as I had built up a lead in both.

On defence:

I struggle against the running game especially and in fairness I'll be the first to admit I don't know much about all the plays etc as I'm just getting into the sport, but I use one of the 3 ''Ask Madden'' options and I can follow the arrows etc that are used to indicate how my play call will go.

Against the throwing game I'm fairly ok, but I'm just wondering if you switch to the defender and manually control him, or just let the CPU do it? The reason I ask is sometimes I switch and when I try to swat or pick the ball evades me and the offense is in for an easy TD. It seems to be better leaving the CPU to cover, would I be right on that?

On offense:

My running game is awful online, but excellent in Franchise mode against the CPU. It seems I can never find space online and it's the complete opposite against the CPU. I must be doing something wrong here surely?

Throwing the ball I'm pretty decent, although I do sometimes get flustered and throw the ball to the wrong receiver resulting in an interception, but I'm improving. Again, like my defense question do you switch man to control the receiver or let the CPU handle that?

The teams I played with were Kansas City (I've been using them in Franchise mode and Jamaal Charles is a beast) against Detroit Lions and I was battered. Eagles against Steelers and I was beat by a touchdown despite building up a decent lead and Eagles against Kansas City in which I was ahead by about 14 and Charles' running game destroyed me despite me not being able to run at all decently with him in my 1st game :pac:

Any advice no matter how big or small would be greatfully appreciated.

Paully D wrote: »
    Can someone give me some tips for online please? I'm 0-3 and although I've only been beat comfortably in one of those games I really should have won the other 2 as I had built up a lead in both.

On defence:

I struggle against the running game especially and in fairness I'll be the first to admit I don't know much about all the plays etc as I'm just getting into the sport, but I use one of the 3 ''Ask Madden'' options and I can follow the arrows etc that are used to indicate how my play call will go.

Against the throwing game I'm fairly ok, but I'm just wondering if you switch to the defender and manually control him, or just let the CPU do it? The reason I ask is sometimes I switch and when I try to swat or pick the ball evades me and the offense is in for an easy TD. It seems to be better leaving the CPU to cover, would I be right on that?

On offense:

My running game is awful online, but excellent in Franchise mode against the CPU. It seems I can never find space online and it's the complete opposite against the CPU. I must be doing something wrong here surely?

Throwing the ball I'm pretty decent, although I do sometimes get flustered and throw the ball to the wrong receiver resulting in an interception, but I'm improving. Again, like my defense question do you switch man to control the receiver or let the CPU handle that?

The teams I played with were Kansas City (I've been using them in Franchise mode and Jamaal Charles is a beast) against Detroit Lions and I was battered. Eagles against Steelers and I was beat by a touchdown despite building up a decent lead and Eagles against Kansas City in which I was ahead by about 14 and Charles' running game destroyed me despite me not being able to run at all decently with him in my 1st game :pac:

Any advice no matter how big or small would be greatfully appreciated.

The first leap you must over come is to stop using Ask Madden and instead use the Formations tab.

Berty did a fantastic write up which pretty much covers everything you'd need to know about the different formations and trust me things become so much easier both in game and watching it on the TV after calling plays with this method
    Originally Posted by Berty44 View Post
    First line under each formation is Description, 2nd line are the advantages, 3rd line the disadvantages

Goal Line
    Run prevent in short yardage situations, specifically third or fourth and short or on the goal line
    Packed defense to prevent the short run. There are a lot of tacklers near the line of scrimmage.
    Audible to another defense if the offense changes formation.So many defenders near the line can be disastrous if a running back breaks through.

4-3 Normal
    Four Defensive Linemen, three Linebackers, four defensive backs.
    A balanced run and pass defense. Good against inside runs and short to medium passing.
    Avoid using against four or more receiver sets (even three is risky). Blitzing Linebackers can leave slants and outside runs open.

4-3 Over, Under
    Moves an outer linebacker to the line for five Defensive Linemen, two Linebackers, and four defensive backs (Over and Under refers to different sides of the line).
    Increased pass rush possibilities. Protect against inside and outside runs.
    Vulnerable to the passing game and fewer Linebackers in the middle could mean fewer tacklers if the back breaks the line.

3-4 Normal
    Three Defensive Linemen, four Linebackers, and four defensive backs.
    A balanced run and pass defense. Defends outside runs and flat passes.
    Softer pass rush, though more blitz variation with extra Linebackers. Vulnerable to multiple receiver sets.

3-4 Over, UnderThree Defensive Linemen, four Linebackers, and four defensive backs. An outside linebacker tightens up the edge of the line (Over and Under refers to different sides of the line).
    Increased pass rush with linebacker at the line.
    Fewer Linebackers defending the short passes. Vulnerable to multiple receiver sets.

3-4 Solid
    Three Defensive Linemen, four Linebackers, and four defensive backs. Both outside Linebackers crowd the line.
    Increased pass rush opportunities and disguised blitzing. Stuff the run with increased penetration.
    Vulnerable to quick passes if outside Linebackers blitz. Avoid against multiple receiver sets.

3-4 Even
    Three Defensive Linemen, four Linebackers, and four defensive backs. Outside Linebackers crowd the line and middle Linebackers tighten up.
    Balanced run stoppage for inside and outside runs.
    Tighter formation could be vulnerable to the pass.

3-4 Stack
    Three Defensive Linemen, four Linebackers, and four defensive backs. Resembles a 4-3 in alignment.
    A 4-3 look for your excellent Linebackers. Variation in pass rushing for fast outside Linebackers.
    Avoid using against heavy passing situations.

46 Normal
    Four Defensive Linemen, three Linebackers, four defensive backs but shifts one safety up to the linebacker position leaving one safety deep.
    Similar to 4-3 but safety provides extra run stopping support. Pressuring defense.
    Vulnerable to deep passes with just one safety back. Avoid using against heavy passing situations and multiple receiver sets.

46 Bear
    Six Defensive Linemen (some are Linebackers on the line), one linebacker, three defensive backs with one safety playing in a linebacker spot leaving one deep safety.
    Combines the 46 Normal and 4-3 Over defenses. Increased pressure along the line for stronger run defense and pressure. Weak pass defense.
    Avoid using against multiple receiver sets.

Nickel Normal
    Four Defensive Linemen, two Linebackers, five defensive backs.
    An additional defensive back helps protect against the pass. Be sure the "nickel back" is lined up against the slot receiver.
    Optimum against 3 WR sets. Losing a linebacker means losing a good tackler. Use packages to ensure best corners are against best receivers. Your nickel back isn’t as skilled as your starters, usually.

Nickel Strong
    Same as nickel but shifts the safety toward the strong side.
    Increased safety help on the strong side. Helps provide additional coverage on a stacked formation (where more receivers and/or tight ends are on one side).
    Similar to the standard nickel. Also the safety shifted over could leave the other side open, especially if there are backs on pass patterns.

Nickel 1-5-5, 1-5-5 Prowl
    One Defensive Lineman, five Linebackers, five defensive backs.
    Crowded line of scrimmage with basically one MLB (prowl with two). Five Linebackers help defend against a run and five defensive backs help defend the pass. Allows for some blitzing variation.
    Can be a weak run defense if your Linebackers focus on coverage.

Nickel 2-4-5
    Two Defensive Linemen, four Linebackers, five defensive backs.
    Added Linebackers help defend against an unexpected run. In the 3-4 playbook because of the team’s typical linebacker skill.
    Need to increase pass rush with linebacker pressure.

Nickel 3-3-5
    Three Defensive Linemen, three Linebackers and five defensive backs.
    An added linebacker to defend the run or short passing.
    Need to increase pass rush with linebacker pressure.

Dime Normal
    Four Defensive Linemen, one linebacker, six defensive backs.
    Six defensive backs to counter the passing game. Use against four or more wide receiver sets.
    Weak against an unexpected run.

Dime Flat
    Same as dime but closes Safeties in and backs off corners.
    Defenders are tighter and closer to the line to protect against run or short passing. Good for end zone defense.
    Weaker against deep passing.

Quarters Normal
    Three Defensive Linemen, one linebacker, seven defensive backs.
    Seven defensive backs as a pass prevent defense.
    Easy to run against.

Quarters 3 Deep
    Same as quarters but shifts a defensive back into a deep safety position for three deep Safeties.
    Three deep Safeties to protect against the deep ball. Use in long yardage situations.
    Easy to run against.

Quarters Combo
    Combination of Quarters normal and 3 deep.
    Protects against the deep ball with three deep Safeties.
    Easy to run against.

Dollar Normal
    Eight defensive backs.
    Eight players focused on stopping the pass. Use in certain passing situations (long yardage) or even in the red zone to crowd the end zone.
    You have a lot of bad tacklers on the field if your opponent runs the ball!

With the passing it really is all about being confident and not staring at the rush. You'v got to be quick in recognising the coverage your against and knowing what your routes are. If your playing against Zone and have a lot of crossing routes or slants you'v got to be decisive of when you throw the ball, you can either wait for the play to develop and see if a defender gets caught in his zone against two players or scramble with your QB and try get some yards.

For me at least I stick to true life, if i go in a formation where I have one receiver to the left and 3 out to the right I won't throw it to the left unless their CB or Safety comes on the blitz we really don't want to throwing into double coverage.

As for the passing game don't panic if you don't see anything just click down on your analogue stick to let the QB throw the ball away.

Another feature of the passing game that many people don't know exists is that you can lead a receiver with a pass by moving the left stick as you throw the ball.

So if we pull down on the left stick while throwing the ball the QB will throw a low ball that will be heading towards a WR's feet, it's a extremely useful play to make sure the ball can only be caught by your WR.

Likewise you can pull upwards for a jump ball or left or right to place the ball to either side.

Try your best to recognize coverages

For example I was throwing lots of curls to the outside and getting picked off, usually for a TD :mad:
    The CB was in zone and just waiting to jump the pass.
    So try to recognize this

Use your audibles, mix it up.

If the safeties and linebackers are way off, maybe change up to a draw play.
    Again if the defense are backing off you might get your QB to run outside, I do this a handful of times a game and Joe Flacco isn't the fastest :pac:

You see a blitz coming audible to quick slants

All seems very obvious but it helps.

Often the winner is the one that makes the least mistakes :cool:

• Advertisement

This sums up Madden 12

http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/91879736

Hurrr duuurrrr

Advertisement