Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Clampers “make no money” from clamping

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,853 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I'm sure they do it purely out of sense of civic duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

I'm afraid, saying there is no money o be made from it is jsut a lie. They generally make a loss on the release fees from the cars. However when clamping was introduced first in Dublin, the numbers paying for discs etc increased by about 80%.

Taking the increase in numbers paying for parking into account, the clampers would be making quite a hefty profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Salt001

Of course they make money,they are not doing it out of a sense of civic duty.
    Did I read somewhere there is now a clamping firm or traffic warden on the Aran Islands now?. Nowhere is safe :)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭steadyeddie08

NCPS vans drive around the streets where I live on a 24/7 basis including bank holidays. Sometimes you will see 2 or three vans at the same time searching for the opportunity to clamp a van that may have stayed in the loading bay for more that the allowed 15 minutes or maybe the stupid car driver that may have parked there a few minutes before 7pm .

Obviously the 120 euro that they charge is just not enough for their bosses to make a living.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Scealta_saol

Yeah there's a warden on Aran Islands now:

http://www.galwaynews.ie/23787-aran-islands-first-ever-parking-ticket

And of course there is money made in clamping - people are always getting clamped so there has to be a good bit of money in that right??
    But I would say a lot of the money comes from the P&D meters...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Clampers making no money from clamping.......I couldn't give a shyte if they make nothing from it

The other part of the story which i spotted in The Times today was that they are lobbying to be allowed issue private parking tickets. Now that's far more worrying.....

Shower of shytes either way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Clamping blackspots in Dublin

Friday, 13 May 2011
    by Cian McCormack

Motorists in Dublin are forking out millions in fines for illegal parking in the city.

In 2010, Dublin City Council collected €26 million from parking metres, and €4.5 million in fines for illegal parking in the city.

In the first four months of this year, almost 20,000 people (19,791) paid €1.5 million to have their cars de-clamped in Dublin.

Cars are most likely to be clamped on Jervis Street. 261 have been clamped there already this year - up until April. Each clamp release fee costs €80 meaning €20,880 has been collected from that street alone in fines.

Shelbourne Road follows in second place with 230 vehicles clamped there already this year, while Dominick Street Lower, Wellington Quay Street, and Ranelagh feature as the third, fourth and fifth clamping blackspots in the capital.

Last year (2010), 58,076 vehicles were clamped, costing motorists over €4.5.

Noel Purcell Walk was last year's clamping blackspot. 976 vehicles were clamped there. That cost motorists €78,080 in de-clamping fees. Shelbourne Road, Burgh Quay, Dominick Street Lower and Aston Quay followed as the second, third, fourth and fifth clamping black spots.

It costs more to provide the declamping service than the money it generates. Last year, €4.5 million was collected from de-clamping, but it costs nearly double that to run the service.

Dublin City Council confirmed it costs between €9 million and €10 million for the service, and that money is spent on: Dublin Street Parking Service's clamping service; Dublin Street Parking Service's parking metre maintence; Dublin City Council's small parking enforcement office.

In addition to the €26 million collected from pay and display: €880,000 was collected from private residential parking permits; and more money is collected from four car parks run by the council.

Parking permits cost €40 but there is a proposal with the city council's Transport and Traffic Committee to raise it to €50. However, councillors have to vote on the proposal.

Dublin City's clamping service is operated by Dublin Street Parking Services (DSPS) on Dublin City Council's behalf.

http://www.rte.ie/ie/morningireland/entry/clamping_blackspots_in_dublin

Still money to be made in clamping.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

I have been clamped by NCPS for being one minute late and even though they were just walking away from the van as i got to it they wouldn't released til I paid the fine. On the same job I saw them form out the window several times every 15 mins pull in get out their vans and check every vehicle and clamp whoever was late.

Biggest shower of gangsters I have ever seen. I would love to see their accounts and how they are not making money!

I have been clamped by NCPS for being one minute late and even though they were just walking away from the van as i got to it they wouldn't released til I paid the fine. On the same job I saw them form out the window several times every 15 mins pull in get out their vans and check every vehicle and clamp whoever was late.

Biggest shower of gangsters I have ever seen. I would love to see their accounts and how they are not making money!
    I believe it's a private company like Tesco and doesn't have to publish them. Otherwise it would be available on the net.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

they have to find jobs for the boys no matter where it is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

CamperMan wrote: »
    so why do they clamp peoples cars and screw them out of lots of money to get the clamp released?
    Because without enforcement, nobody would pay, and half the point of paid street parking - having people move their cars on so others can replace them - wouldn't exist. Town would be filled with worker's cars at 9am, and nobody would be able to get a space anywhere.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I thought this bit was interesting

"Deputy Ciaran Lynch asked about what he called the “urban myths” around clamping, such as the claim that clamping companies are infringing on car owners’ private property rights.
    He asked if this has ever been tested in the courts.
    He also asked if a person can remove the clamp without doing damage to the clamp and bring it to the clampers’ office, would the person then not have to pay the fine, within the law.
    Tom Harrington of the IPA said that the legislation hasn’t been tested in Ireland. It has been tested in England and that individual didn’t win the case because the area had clear and legible signage and it was said the person entered into a contract as they parked on private property, he explained.
    He said that there have been occasions where people have cut through clamps with a saw but they have “never been good enough to bring it around to the office”."

We need a volunteer to test this out.

Anybody?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

snappieT wrote: »
    Because without enforcement, nobody would pay, and half the point of paid street parking - having people move their cars on so others can replace them - wouldn't exist. Town would be filled with worker's cars at 9am, and nobody would be able to get a space anywhere.
    This was the case in Dublin, before on-street clamping was introduced. The supreme irony is that the people who complain loudest against clampers are the very same people who make clamping necessary. You guys could collectively put every clamper in the country out of a job tomorrow if you wanted - why don't you?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

johnos1984 wrote: »
    I believe it's a private company like Tesco and doesn't have to publish them. Otherwise it would be available on the net.

Tesco's a PLC.

You may be thinking of Dunnes, who are private and most importantly, unlimited. Private limited companies have to file accounts also

MYOB wrote: »
    Tesco's a PLC.

You may be thinking of Dunnes, who are private and most importantly, unlimited. Private limited companies have to file accounts also
    Last time I checked Tesco never publishes it's accounts into the public domain but I may have missed out on them becoming a PLC as it was a while ago :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Last time I checked Tesco never publishes it's accounts into the public domain but I may have missed out on them becoming a PLC as it was a while ago :)

They do publish their accounts, but they never give a breakdown between the UK and Ireland. All is lumped together.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

They don't do it for the lulz, that's for sure.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They're easily available from Companies House, and indeed their AR is very much public domain:

http://www.tescoplc.com/media/417/tesco_annual_report_2011.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 10,150 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Tesco's a PLC.

When you say Dunnes is unlimited, you mean the highest level Irish holding company, it has overseas parents which have limited liability. THis is a structure which has been used by large Irish private businesses since the early 1990s as it allows them to avoid the financial disclosure which normally follows limited liability - which most of the Dunnes operating companies benefit from.

They're easily available from Companies House, and indeed their AR is very much public domain:

http://www.tescoplc.com/media/417/tesco_annual_report_2011.pdf

That I think you'll find is the UK parent company. THe Irish subs, I'll bet, don't file accoutns as there is a provision whereby only the ultimate parent company's accounts need be filed if there is a ?s17 guarantee in place. Again it reduces financial transparency in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,668 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I think a distinction needs to be made between clampers on behalf of Dublin City Council (I live in Dublin, don't know what the arrangements are in other towns/cities) and privately employed clamping firms (I saw NCPS mentioned, for example).

My understanding is that the DCC-employed clampers are paid a fixed fee for their services, so do not "make money" directly from their clamping. DCC undoubtedly make shedloads more money than they otherwise would from the pay and display machines, with the threat of clamping so great for people who don't pay and display.

I for one think the street clampers are one of the best things to happen in Dublin recently (controversial, I know!). I lived on one of the original streets to be made pay and display back in the 80s, about a mile from Stephen's Green, and it was an absolute nightmare if you moved the car during the day - as the student in the house I was parker-in-chief, and used to have to sit double parked in the car for hours on some occasions, waiting for a space to appear so we could re-park somewhere within reach of the house. While we were all a bit put out to have to pay for parking outside our house, we got used to it fairly quick, and definitely appreciated the spaces it freed up!

Back then, there was no such thing as driving into town - now, if you drive in, you're pretty much guaranteed to find an on-street parking space - that, IMO, is down to enforcement, plain and simple. And clamping is part of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I think a distinction needs to be made between clampers on behalf of Dublin City Council (I live in Dublin, don't know what the arrangements are in other towns/cities) and privately employed clamping firms (I saw NCPS mentioned, for example).

My understanding is that the DCC-employed clampers are paid a fixed fee for their services, so do not "make money" directly from their clamping. DCC undoubtedly make shedloads more money than they otherwise would from the pay and display machines, with the threat of clamping so great for people who don't pay and display.

I for one think the street clampers are one of the best things to happen in Dublin recently (controversial, I know!). I lived on one of the original streets to be made pay and display back in the 80s, about a mile from Stephen's Green, and it was an absolute nightmare if you moved the car during the day - as the student in the house I was parker-in-chief, and used to have to sit double parked in the car for hours on some occasions, waiting for a space to appear so we could re-park somewhere within reach of the house. While we were all a bit put out to have to pay for parking outside our house, we got used to it fairly quick, and definitely appreciated the spaces it freed up!

Back then, there was no such thing as driving into town - now, if you drive in, you're pretty much guaranteed to find an on-street parking space - that, IMO, is down to enforcement, plain and simple. And clamping is part of that.

Was there no such thing as a resident disk either ?

Marcusm wrote: »
    That I think you'll find is the UK parent company. THe Irish subs, I'll bet, don't file accoutns as there is a provision whereby only the ultimate parent company's accounts need be filed if there is a ?s17 guarantee in place. Again it reduces financial transparency in Ireland.

I also think you'll find this is rather irrelevant, as the poster in question appeared to think that Tesco, as in the PLC, published no accounts at all - when they, in fact, do.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,668 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Was there no such thing as a resident disk either ?

You mean at our house? Nope, not until they brought in the pay and display - then we had to pay for our residents' discs. Before that it was a free for all.

I also think you'll find this is rather irrelevant, as the poster in question appeared to think that Tesco, as in the PLC, published no accounts at all - when they, in fact, do.

Asthe poster in question is a business graduate and a teacher of the same subject, I'd be very disappointed but I guess this is heading towards the OT thread so I'll declare myself out.

On the matter of DCC parking, my understading from disclosures when the contract was renewed a few months ago is that the cost of clamping and unclamping charged to the council is significantly higher than the clamping charge such that the pay & display money is used to supplement it. This shows it to be a fairly ineffective means of policing parking. Personally, we need a better enforcement system for the parking fines which can be issued. Too often, I understand these can go unpaid and unenforced. Here in London if I get a parking ticket which I don't pay or appeal, it gets doubled then goes through the court and onto a bailiff for enforcement very quickly.

Asthe poster in question is a business graduate and a teacher of the same subject, I'd be very disappointed but I guess this is heading towards the OT thread so I'll declare myself out.
    I was leaving it.

The reason I know they don't give a full publication of all accounts, which was what I meant when I originally posted but I don't think I really made clear (my fault) Tesco don't publish all account or give a breakdown.

Marcusm I'm also an auditor.....;)

Or at least I was until I realised I had no interest in it

Marcusm I'm also an auditor.....;)

Or at least I was until I realised I had no interest in it

You mustn't have been that quick on the uptake - I knew before I joined an accounting firm that there ws no way I could survive auditing - in fact my audit dept experience consisted of two weeks working on a marketing plan for my own FS clients. That said it was a lot of years ago, you'd have been 10 or so at the time....

At least it all meant I could retire at 38 and indulge my car and travel interests!

At least it all meant I could retire at 38 and indulge my car and travel interests!
    That was the one downside of leaving it all behind

Advertisement