Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Jon Snow's mother

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

calex71 wrote: »
    Wasn't he already married to Catelyn though at that point :confused: Wasn't was newly married and away fighting during that time?

I might be remembering the time line wrong there though.
    No, Brandon was killed first at the beginning of the war (and was I think part of the trigger for it), then Ned married Catelyn before going off to fight in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

The mad king roasted Brandon Stark and his father Rickard when they rode south to confront Rhaegar Targaryen over his kidnap (elopement?) of/with Lyanna Stark. Ned's response to this was to call his banners along with his foster father John Arynn and foster-brother Robert Baratheon (to whom Lyanna was bethrothed). Ned and Catlyn married at the start of the war, with him riding off to war just after impregnating her with Robb.

All we've ever heard of Jon's age is that he was "of an age with Robb", we're not actually sure if he's older or younger, presumably there's only a few months in it either way. GRRM is apparently utterly meticulous about his timelines (hence the Meereen know and delay of ADWD so whoever Jon's mother is will have to coincide with the timeline already established. This rules out quite a few of the theorised options (including, I think, Ashara Dayne).

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Littlefinger

Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    I'd never considered lyanna as a candidate as snows mother, there was a bit when arya rode with the banner less men and one of them said he was snows milk brother

I would have assumed that it would have been the bannerless man's mother who was a wet nurse for Jon which would fit in with the theory that his mother died giving birth?

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

Jon can't be the third dragon tho, dragons cannot be burned, jon has had his sword hand burnt fighting a wight

Can't find the quote now but GRRM squashed that notion, the reason Dany doesn't get burned when she walks into the fire is due to the large amount of magic involved, not because she is a "dragon" and "dragon's don't burn."

Or basically, with Dany, it's a one off, she can be burned, and doesn't she suffer a burn in ADWD?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

I'll have a look later but i don't think she got burned,

Something I was thinking about, could bran or varymyr warg with a dragon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

Can't find the quote now but GRRM squashed that notion, the reason Dany doesn't get burned when she walks into the fire is due to the large amount of magic involved, not because she is a "dragon" and "dragon's don't burn."

Or basically, with Dany, it's a one off, she can be burned, and doesn't she suffer a burn in ADWD?

She doesn't get burned by the scalding water in the bath, or the dragons egg when she picks one up from the fire!

As for Jon's mother I would assumes its
    Lyanna but with GRRM whose to know, the mans a ****er for drawing us in.

She didn't get burned in the fighting pits either

• Registered Users Posts: 11,927 ✭✭✭✭titan18

There are a bunch of Targaryens who died from burning though. Viserys and the molten gold, and in lore, there's the Tragedy of Summerhall and Aerion Targaryen who drank wildfire.

As such we can deduce that viserys was no True Dragon.

He didn't bleed tho

• Registered Users Posts: 11,927 ✭✭✭✭titan18

As such we can deduce that viserys was no True Dragon.

He didn't bleed tho

What about Summerhall, Aerion Brightflame, the Dance of the Dragons War, and then the fact that Dany had her hand blistered by Drogon in ADWD when he breathed on her.

Even beside that, we have this http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/945/

with
    Lastly, some fans are reading too much into the scene in GAME OF THRONES where the dragons are born -- which is to say, it was never the case that all Targaryens are immune to all fire at all times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

Yup that's the link I was talking about, cheers titan!

I've read the books and was aware of all the other events but I knew there was a burn. My own opinion is that's it's a bit of backtracking from George by adding in that burn to keep rabid fans quiet when certain R and L connections emerge! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

I can't help thinking that if Ned wasn't Jon's true father, that he should have confided that information to Catelyn. I really resented her for her treatment and manner towards Jon. Even if he was Ned's bastàrd, it wasn't Jon's fault. I really didn't bond with the Catelyn character from the chapter Jon said goodbye to Bran.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Ambient Occlusion

For all the rounds Cersei's been doing it may well be her. :rolleyes:

Advertisement