Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fringe S04E19 "Letters of Transit" [** SPOILERS **]

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I had to laugh out loud at the Star Wars references - brilliant

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Hyzepher wrote: »
    I had to laugh out loud at the Star Wars references - brilliant
    Using the line itself, isn't original - it's been in other shows. What sold the scene was Noble's delivery and the little delighted grin he gave himself after using it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

What future do the Observers come from? Did September tell Peter that recently? If they are from our universe then surely by coming back and taking over the world they are creating a paradox that will make their future not exist? So does that mean they are from the alt-verse and have to leave that universe alone to carry on as it should and ensure their existence? Time travel is head-wrecking.

Also why are all the Observers men? I had assumed they might be meant to be androgynous but the way the one in the nightclub at the start was claiming the hostess he seemed like he was definitely male.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

iguana wrote: »
    What future do the Observers come from? Did September tell Peter that recently? If they are from our universe then surely by coming back and taking over the world they are creating a paradox that will make their future not exist?
    I thought the Observer claimed they came from one of many possible futures.

ixoy wrote: »
    I thought the Observer claimed they came from one of many possible futures.

I didn't remember what he said, that will cover it.

He didn't also explain why they were all men by any chance did he?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

WOW is all i can say, far to many questions to ask on that episode, probably the best episode of fringe,

i really hope they are gonna carry this on next week or the week after and not have to wait for another season to find out whats gonna happen,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

What future do the Observers come from? Did September tell Peter that recently? If they are from our universe then surely by coming back and taking over the world they are creating a paradox that will make their future not exist? So does that mean they are from the alt-verse and have to leave that universe alone to carry on as it should and ensure their existence? Time travel is head-wrecking.

Also why are all the Observers men? I had assumed they might be meant to be androgynous but the way the one in the nightclub at the start was claiming the hostess he seemed like he was definitely male.

I guess that's why they were observing, they were trying to pick a point in time where their interference in the past would not result in the destruction of their future.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭gazzer

I wonder will the final episode of this season have a scene where we fast forward to the year 2016 and see what happens to Olivia? I wouldnt put it past the writers to kill Olivia off at the end of this season and have the whole of Season 5 set in the future

gazzer wrote: »
    I wonder will the final episode of this season have a scene where we fast forward to the year 2016 and see what happens to Olivia? I wouldnt put it past the writers to kill Olivia off at the end of this season and have the whole of Season 5 set in the future

Well, when they erase a character from time, killing one off doesn't seem like such a big deal :p

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I've been thinking a lot about this episode, and I've decided that Fringe is a show primarily about time travel. Now lots of sci-fi has been about time travel. In particular lots of sci-fi has been about starting out in a 'natural' time line, then changing something in the past that rewrites time, and possibly going back many times and making many changes. Fringe is about that, but in a new and different way. In Fringe we start out in an already altered timeline which has been changed by observers coming back, an observer saving Peter, Walter sending the machine back etc, and we have been slowly unravelling back to the 'real' 'natural' original time line.

In relation to this episode in particular, I'm wondering if this was the original unchanged timeline, and that is why there only appeared to be one universe. This timeline appears to be headed towards Walter building the machine and then sending it back in time. What if that is what causes the universes to diverge in the first place. Often in sci-fi, changing the past has caused an alternate timeline to spring up. What if, by sending the machine back in time, Walter actually created the red universe ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

wtf?
    did i miss something or have they just done a Dallas on the David Robert Jones story arch or was this just a one off in the hopes of getting a 5th season and it'll be back to DRJ for the last few episodes?
    I really enjoyed it for the epiosode itself but will be pissed at it if they dont finsih the existing story before the end of the season.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

They go back to the normal timeline with Jones in the next episode I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

i've watched fringe from the beginning and for me it's always been brilliant, but i hope this episode doesnt show it going the way of jj abrams "heroes" where once he took the show into a "future" arc, heroes just nose-dived after that and was eventually pulled, when it could have been so, so much better.

xsiborg wrote: »
    i've watched fringe from the beginning and for me it's always been brilliant, but i hope this episode doesnt show it going the way of jj abrams "heroes" where once he took the show into a "future" arc, heroes just nose-dived after that and was eventually pulled, when it could have been so, so much better.

Herpes was Tim Kring's, not Abrams.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Gingervitis

Ha :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,173 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Herpes? Sounds like a name Walter would use. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

you're right! geez, i thought i remembered abrams name in the credits there somewhere, im mistaken.

stevenmu wrote: »
    They go back to the normal timeline with Jones in the next episode I think.

But will they ever explain exactly what Jones was up to, running a Madison Avenue advertising agency in the 1960s. How did that tie in with his nefarious plan?:confused:

Ha :p
    Herpes? Sounds like a name Walter would use. :pac:

Oops :o

In my defence the keys were right beside each other and the show was nearly as bad (not that I have anything to compare it against)

I'll stop digging....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,568 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

But will they ever explain exactly what Jones was up to, running a Madison Avenue advertising agency in the 1960s. How did that tie in with his nefarious plan?:confused:

Well obviously the Observers arent from the future, they are actually ad men from the 60's searching for new ways to sell ****, good excuses to drink all day and demean women. I think DRJ is their accountant/mad scientist

• Advertisement

VinLieger wrote: »
    Well obviously the Observers arent from the future, they are actually ad men from the 60's searching for new ways to sell ****, good excuses to drink all day and demean women. I think DRJ is their accountant/mad scientist

I only realised they were played by the same actor just a few days ago :o

I always had this niggling feeling that I had seen them somewhere else when watching both Fringe and Mad Men.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

ixoy wrote: »
    Using the line itself, isn't original - it's been in other shows. What sold the scene was Noble's delivery and the little delighted grin he gave himself after using it.

Noble is just awesome in general!!

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭somuj

Bell would still be alive due to them not having to mount a rescue attempt to bring Peter back from the other side and Bell not having to sacrifice himself to facilitate the cross-over.

Bell is actually supposed to be dead in this episode as Good Nina had stated it in a pervious episode :p

But in one of the promos for this weeks episode they someone says that William Bell may not in fact be dead.

somuj wrote: »
    Bell is actually supposed to be dead in this episode as Good Nina had stated it in a pervious episode :p

But in one of the promos for this weeks episode they someone says that William Bell may not in fact be dead.

Yeah I caught that as well and recalled this post and the horror of being wrong on the internet :p

Advertisement