Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

calf with pneumonia/panting

• 23-05-2012 10:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭

I lost a calf a week ago today and i bought in a suck calf...cow not taken to calf yet but am letting her out to suck am/pm, thursday there noticed nasal discharge from both nostrils so rang vet and he sent me out a shot of Nuflor and calf was much brighter after it, she is greedy to suck and is sucking all 4 tits, eating hay, drinking water also, chewing cud and her dung is perfect and looks fine in eyes/coat etc (no nasal discharge now) but she panting alot especially after suckling?

should i be worried or am i being over cautious?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I wouldn't be familiar with that drug bit has she had a full course?
    Could it just have suppressed the symptoms without clearing it?

But it may well be that she's just sucking hard and for a long time leaving her short of breath for a while.
    It may improve as time goes bye as she gets stronger.

Had she a temperature when she was showing symptoms and has that gone completely?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭ddogsbollix

with that the best job for healing a calves lungs like that is to have them out in the fresh air!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

bbam wrote: »
    I wouldn't be familiar with that drug bit has she had a full course?
    Could it just have suppressed the symptoms without clearing it?

But it may well be that she's just sucking hard and for a long time leaving her short of breath for a while.
    It may improve as time goes bye as she gets stronger.

Had she a temperature when she was showing symptoms and has that gone completely?

Hi bbam, ddogsbolix

One thing I meant to get was a digital thermometer but I never got it! I'll pick it one up soon.

I let her suck lastnight after work and out the door, she much improved this morning the fresh air !! Cow in a paddock by herself but right next to other cows and calves and both seem much happier in the sunshine.

She doing less panting already

Advertisement