Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iphone cracked screen

• 17-12-2009 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭

So i dropped my iphone 3G 8GB,
    luckily i was insured and picked up a new one yesterday
    I still own the old one so have the option to pay for a screen replacement 70 euro. and then i could possibly sell it..?

So

Q1) How much could i sell it for? The place im getting it fixed also offers unlocking. Would it fetch more if it was unlocked?

Q2) Any ideas on how much i'd expect to get for it?

thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Where you getting the screen done for 70? mate of mine just busted his

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

200 or 250 . Unlocking is so easy don't pay for it
    edit
    insurance fraud you naughty boy

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

i would of that the broken iphone would be your insurers property now???

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭whiteshadow

got it done in FM Mobiles on georges street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭fattestman

Has anyone ever replaced a cracked screen themselves?

Now I know what you'll say - that I should just cough up the €70 and get it fixed properly. Thing is, I bought the handset second hand as I lost my old phone. It's working fine except for the screen is badly damaged. I obviously can't insure it so I don't want to spend €120 getting it replaced (that's the quote I keep getting here in Cork) only for me to drop it or something!

So I was going to have a go off it myself. There're loads of screens on eBay but I really don't know which to buy. Ideally I'd like to get one that can be changed by just screwing and clipping and so on and not have to do any unglueing or glueing.

Any suggestions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

fattestman wrote: »
    Has anyone ever replaced a cracked screen themselves?

Now I know what you'll say - that I should just cough up the €70 and get it fixed properly. Thing is, I bought the handset second hand as I lost my old phone. It's working fine except for the screen is badly damaged. I obviously can't insure it so I don't want to spend €120 getting it replaced (that's the quote I keep getting here in Cork) only for me to drop it or something!

So I was going to have a go off it myself. There're loads of screens on eBay but I really don't know which to buy. Ideally I'd like to get one that can be changed by just screwing and clipping and so on and not have to do any unglueing or glueing.

Any suggestions?

How to repair the screen

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

umm..I take ti that the insuirance company has the imei number of the phone. and because they gave you a new phone and wrote the other one off. the imei would be blocked from all irish networks?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,856 ✭✭✭dodzy

Lenny wrote: »
    umm..I take ti that the insuirance company has the imei number of the phone. and because they gave you a new phone and wrote the other one off. the imei would be blocked from all irish networks?

+1.

It is now an itouch with a broken screen ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭bigdogbarking

Can't you hide or erase your imei?
    In theory?;)
    I'm almost sure you could find a solution/software in google......

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

It used to be possible on older phones alright 2 years back, but it was very very trickey changing it(getting a valid imei was the prob) but I don't know how it has gotten now.
    your iphone might even have problems now connecting to itunes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭JellyBeans92

Hi

I just dropped my iPhone 3G on a nice hard tiled floor, and the glass front smashed in bits

It's still works, just the screen kinda looks like a see-through mosaic?! =D

I was just wondering if anyone knew anywhere around north wexford/ south wicklow that can do the repairs for a reasonable price (i.e. about or less that 50 euro?)

It's just that I'm a student i.e. absolutely broke.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Hi

I just dropped my iPhone 3G on a nice hard tiled floor, and the glass front smashed in bits

I was just wondering if anyone knew anywhere around north wexford/ south wicklow that can do the repairs for a reasonable price (i.e. about or less that 50 euro?)

FM mobile still charge €70 for replacement glass screen, supplied and fitted.
    it looks so easy to DIY but i cant find the parts for less than 80 dollars online with zeetron.com but then you have to attempt it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

Hi

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.37189

30$ and should do the job ;] (I think)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭dougs09

is'nt the whole messing about with the imei number thing of your phone a serious criminal offence now, it ties in line with anti terrorism laws or summat?

at least thats what my mate tellls me lol

dougs09 wrote: »
    is'nt the whole messing about with the imei number thing of your phone a serious criminal offence now, it ties in line with anti terrorism laws or summat?

at least thats what my mate tellls me lol

how does changing the front screen affect you imei number?

if you had of read the previous page then you'd have seen that there was a discussion of insurance fraud and imei numbers, changing the screen has nothing to do with the imei.

dougs09 wrote: »
    if you had of read the previous page then you'd have seen that there was a discussion of insurance fraud and imei numbers, changing the screen has nothing to do with the imei.

Jez man, you wana take a chill pill before you have a heart attack............
    i was only asking as im going through the process of changing screens at the moment :rolleyes:

haha nah i'm cool no near taking a heart attack :D

yeah the imei chat had nothing to do with the screen, guess just a case of getting our wires crossed lol

Advertisement