Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volvo Ocean Race 2012

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

If they need 2,000 volunteers, what are the paid staff doing?

Collecting a paycheck for one.

Something about yachts and unpaid volunteers that does not sit very well with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Unpaid volunteers... and everybody else involved trying to cream it for as much as possible. Who'd do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭squonk

Certainly not for the 8+hour shifts anyway. That's a bit much!

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭galwayspur

The volunteers were one of the main reasons for the resounding success of the last VOR stopover here. The weather certainly helped, but to say that was the main reason is a tad naive. It seems a few people have an issue with "unpaid volunteers" - surely the word volunteer suggests that pay is not a factor. I took two weeks off from work to volunteer last time around and it was one of the most enjoyable fortnights I've had in Galway. It's extremely cynical to suggest that only the bored, mad or those that are so "in need of experience" that they'd be the only ones to apply. How about those that want to be involved and play an important role in a huge sporting event coming to Galway again?

The 8 hour shifts are quite long, but I worked longer shifts last time around and the time flew by - the work that the volunteers will be doing is for the most part quite varied and if you have a decent team leader you'll get moved around often enough so that you won't get bored or frustrated. There was a great team atmosphere amongst the volunteers that I worked with last time and met people from all over the world who had come to Galway to be a part of it. As for the breaks, in my own team we all got at least one break in addition to the "lunch" break, where sandwiches, fruit, hot drinks etc were all provided - hardly the unpleasant conditions that some have suggested in previous posts.

I'm not volunteering this time around due to other work & family commitments but fully intend to get into town and enjoy what I can of the few days that it's here for. It's a great thing for Galway, and it should prove to be a real success again.

• Fair play to you galwayspur but you must be in the minority. If I was taking a week off for the ocean race it would be spent enjoying it, on the beer around town, relaxing etc etc. I dont think you will find too many people willing to use up their holidays to work 8 hours shifts at an event which would be much more fun if you were just attending it rather than working at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭yeehaw

Fair play to you galwayspur but you must be in the minority. If I was taking a week off for the ocean race it would be spent enjoying it, on the beer around town, relaxing etc etc. I dont think you will find too many people willing to use up their holidays to work 8 hours shifts at an event which would be much more fun if you were just attending it rather than working at it.

galwayspur would fall into the aforementioned 'mad' category

FWIW I'm on decent grade. Yeehaw don't volunteer for nothin'.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭yeehaw

Skyped Pete again there. He's on board. Expect an announcement in the coming days.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭squonk

Pete sure has an awful lot of time for being on Skype for a man organising a tour at the moment :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

You can tell he's legit due to the fact he calls Peter Gabriel Pete. I apologize for doubting you yeehaw. Me and Phil are jealous of your relationship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

galwayspur wrote: »
    The volunteers were one of the main reasons for the resounding success of the last VOR stopover here. The weather certainly helped, but to say that was the main reason is a tad naive. It seems a few people have an issue with "unpaid volunteers" - surely the word volunteer suggests that pay is not a factor. I took two weeks off from work to volunteer last time around and it was one of the most enjoyable fortnights I've had in Galway. It's extremely cynical to suggest that only the bored, mad or those that are so "in need of experience" that they'd be the only ones to apply. How about those that want to be involved and play an important role in a huge sporting event coming to Galway again?

The 8 hour shifts are quite long, but I worked longer shifts last time around and the time flew by - the work that the volunteers will be doing is for the most part quite varied and if you have a decent team leader you'll get moved around often enough so that you won't get bored or frustrated. There was a great team atmosphere amongst the volunteers that I worked with last time and met people from all over the world who had come to Galway to be a part of it. As for the breaks, in my own team we all got at least one break in addition to the "lunch" break, where sandwiches, fruit, hot drinks etc were all provided - hardly the unpleasant conditions that some have suggested in previous posts.

I'm not volunteering this time around due to other work & family commitments but fully intend to get into town and enjoy what I can of the few days that it's here for. It's a great thing for Galway, and it should prove to be a real success again.
    Fair play for volunteering last year and glad you enjoyed it but it's not something I'd put myself forward for TBH
    I do volunteer work myself but I would find a minimum 8 hr shift for at least 2-3days at such a huge event and with a massive crowd pretty gruelling!
    At the end of the day, it's a sporting event where I'm sure big bucks are gonna be made by many, many people. I'd think differently (just on the volunteering side of things) if it was a charity event or fundraising for a worthwhile cause

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Shakti wrote: »
    So entertainment aside... does anybody know who is actually winning or likely to win the race, or does it matter?

Team.............................................. Skipper............ Overall Points

Team Telefónica............................... Iker Martínez.......... 149

Groupama sailing team..................... Franck Cammas....... 133

CAMPER with Emirates Team NZ........ Chris Nicholson........ 124

PUMA Ocean Racing by BERG..............Ken Read................ 117

Abu Dhabi Ocean Racing.................... Ian Walker................ 58

Team Sanya..................................... Mike Sanderson.......... 25

The Irish interest… Justin Slattery is the bowman on Abu Dhabi Ocean Racing and Damian Foxall is the Helmsman / Trimmer on Groupama sailing team.

At Present:

Five boats are exiting the doldrums to the east of the Carribean Lesser Antilles islands heading north to Miami, with the top three boats split by just three miles at times over the last few days. They are two thirds of the way through leg 6 of 9 legs, with visits to Lisbon, Lorient and Galway to go after Miami.

PUMA and CAMPER have been duelling it out for the lead with Telefónica 'smoking along' in third and ready to pounce on any mistake from the top two.

Meanwhile over 100 N miles behind, Abu Dhabi and Groupama have been locked in their own battle for fourth and fifth, with Groupama ahead of Abu Dhabi.

Team Sanya, who retired from Leg 5 after losing a rudder, will rejoin the fleet in Miami for the in-port racing and start of Leg 7.

Further info: http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/home.html

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

From their facebook page:

Volvo Ocean Race Galway.

One of the biggest names in the entertainment industry has been confirmed to play the Volvo Ocean Race Galway Festival. All will be revealed at 6pm today.

Galway is going to ROCK !!!

Looks like a twist in the tail of this story yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,802 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

It would be HILARIOUS if it was Peter Gabriel.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭Wompa1

From their facebook page:

Volvo Ocean Race Galway.

One of the biggest names in the entertainment industry has been confirmed to play the Volvo Ocean Race Galway Festival. All will be revealed at 6pm today.

Galway is going to ROCK !!!

Looks like a twist in the tail of this story yet!

My vote is for Rod Stewart!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Well the good news is, whoever it is, they must be a proper headline act.

Wompa1 wrote: »
    My vote is for Rod Stewart!

That'd be class!

Mars Bar wrote: »
    That'd be class!

You didn't listen to the YouTube clip I guess. I guess headline act is a relative term. One of the biggest names in entertainment nowadays could be a lot of people. The obvious choice would be a big Irish band like U2 but I doubt Bono with bother his arse.

I wonder if the businesses of Galway will be contributing. After the last one the city council was 15 million overdrawn if I remember correctly. If they put up the Bill Madden flower pots again this year people should flip out

Wompa1 wrote: »
    You didn't listen to the YouTube clip I guess.t

Hah, no I didn't. Rod Steward would be class though.

I'd prefer if they kept it Irish.

The Cranberries maybe? Now that WOULD be deadly!

Mars Bar wrote: »
    It would be HILARIOUS if it was Peter Gabriel.

Why would it be hilarious? Yeehaw has been working long and hard to bring him to Galway and I for one trust his/her honesty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Thin Lizzy.... Legends in their time, yes, but with the band sadly gutted of the greatest members I'd hardly call them one of the biggest names in entertainment atm...

• Advertisement

It's Thin Lizzy. Well, as Thin Lizzy as you can be without Phil Lynott.

Thin Lizzy LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE at the Volvo Ocean Race!!!!!!!!! (Phil Lynott may not be included)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Saw them in Dublin last year, they were ok. Now if we could just convince Def Leppard and Alice Cooper to join them like that time we would have a real gig.

Thin Lizzy....seriously is that the best they could do. The band are nothing more than a tribute act at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭thesandeman

I cant believe people are moaning about something thats FREE which they arent compelled to go to if they dont want :-S

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Yeah its Thin LIzzy just announced on Galway Independent face book page.

Wow, that's disappointing....No Lynott..no thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

Headline act my as.. Thin Lizzie are a spent force sorry but not the major act I was expecting.:mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Everybody stop giving Thin Lizzy a hard time.

They are volunteering after all.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

Its the Lizzy.....
    The spirit of Phil and Gary live one

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement