Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1800hotels.ie - what's happening?

• 12-07-2010 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭

My wife and he sisters have used this company to book a hotel in Venice, they arrived at their destination today, no booking for them.

Tried ringing the direct line, goes the voicemail. Direct line is electonically answered, selcted my preferred option and eventually I'm told to leave a message but the message box is full.:eek:

Anyone else having bother there today?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 dumplander

Just found out on arrival at my hotel, booked through 1800hotels, that my booking was cancelled, unknown to me, on Saturday. The hotel contacted GTA, who handle the bookings for 1800, and it turns out 1800hotels.ie have gone bust. Of course money is gone off my credit card already...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,809 ✭✭✭phill106

dumplander wrote: »
    Just found out on arrival at my hotel, booked through 1800hotels, that my booking was cancelled, unknown to me, on Saturday. The hotel contacted GTA, who handle the bookings for 1800, and it turns out 1800hotels.ie have gone bust. Of course money is gone off my credit card already...

Just as well you paid by credit card, I believe if you contact card company they will refund you, then chase them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

ha, their website says "Our apologies, we are currently performing system maintenance that will affect hotel availability."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 dumplander

phill106 wrote: »
    Just as well you paid by credit card, I believe if you contact card company they will refund you, then chase them up.

Thanks for that, at least should get the money back at some stage. We were lucky cos the hotel staff were lovely, feel sorry for people who might not be so lucky and find themselves stranded without accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭phog

Roar wrote: »
    ha, their website says "Our apologies, we are currently performing system maintenance that will affect hotel availability."

I saw that too and hoped it might be genuine, looks like it back the the CC company and check out what they can do for us.

At least the hotel was very helpful, though they have to transfer to their sister hotel from tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

If they have gone tits up thats a shame. Used them on numerous occasions over the years for hotels all over the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭xraylady

Is it definite that they've gone bust? I made booking on 6th July using Mastercard. Bummer... Does anyone know process of trying to recover funds? Looking at accom voucher I received, they use a company called "youtravel" to purchase hotel room. I suppose no point in contacting them.. I can't afford to lose this money! -- As an addendum, actually, I've just contacted youtravel and they've mailed back to say that they will make enquiries first thing in am and let me know..

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭another native

Well, the site is up and running as normal - so maybe, it was just a temporary glitch.

Not exactly 'up and running' I'm afraid. No availability showing for any dates or any hotels.. Ominous!

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭another native

Tried it again a few moments ago and had no luck this time round. A curious situation, to say the least!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Tradin

I booked a hotel in london for a friend and when he got there this morning the hotel said that they got no payment, but the money went off my credit card, I am raging! I have Amsterdam and Florida booked with them so I really hope that there is a way of getting back money!!!

xraylady wrote: »
    Is it definite that they've gone bust? I made booking on 6th July using Mastercard. Bummer... Does anyone know process of trying to recover funds? Looking at accom voucher I received, they use a company called "youtravel" to purchase hotel room. I suppose no point in contacting them.. I can't afford to lose this money! -- As an addendum, actually, I've just contacted youtravel and they've mailed back to say that they will make enquiries first thing in am and let me know..

I think this is what my wife said to me today from the hotel reception, when she arrived at the hotel today she was told the company they (1800hotels) had used to book the rooms hadn't received any payment so they cancelled the rooms on Saturady last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Masher1

I have a reservation (through 1800hotels) for end July - just contacted hotel and they have advised that they received payment so hopefully all will be ok. Contacted 1800hotels but got voicemail.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Unshelved

The website is down - it's not looking good.

Unshelved wrote: »
    The website is down - it's not looking good.

Just tried it here and it's down for everyone :(

Has there been any annoucement on the business news this morning?

Someone has said on their facebook page that they have gone bust plus there is a yank complaining that his booking has been cancelled.

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/1800hotels?ref=ts

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭buzsywuzsy

Oh no, I booked through them.. Going on holiday next week. What do I do? Do I ring the hotel and see if the booking is still there?

buzsywuzsy wrote: »
    Oh no, I booked through them.. Going on holiday next week. What do I do? Do I ring the hotel and see if the booking is still there?

Yep ring the hotel and see if the room has been paid for. If it hasn't get straight onto your credit card company to get a charge back.

If they have gone bust its very bad form to not send a mail out to inform their customers or to have an announcement at least on the website.

I have used them quite a bit over the years including twice this year.

Phoned our hotel direct. They have confirmed that booking is in place and when I asked if it was paid for she said that they have an arrangement with 'YouTravel' (suppliers to 1800.ie) and that they will pay. "No problem , don't worry"!! I'm still not convinced. I await further developments..

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭buzsywuzsy

gandalf wrote: »
    Yep ring the hotel and see if the room has been paid for. If it hasn't get straight onto your credit card company to get a charge back.

If they have gone bust its very bad form to not send a mail out to inform their customers or to have an announcement at least on the website.

I have used them quite a bit over the years including twice this year.

Rang the hotel and they said the booking is there. I hope nothing else will happen now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 katcali

We have booked 2 weeks for 6 people in Lanzarote in August with 1800hotels and have paid the full amount last week. Just phoned the hotel we were "booked" into and they have absolutely no record of our booking!!!! We are just out of our heads with worry as the flights are paid for! It was paid for on Laser-do we ring the bank or what?? please can someone give me some advice :confused: thanks

katcali wrote: »
    We have booked 2 weeks for 6 people in Lanzarote in August with 1800hotels and have paid the full amount last week. Just phoned the hotel we were "booked" into and they have absolutely no record of our booking!!!! We are just out of our heads with worry as the flights are paid for! It was paid for on Laser-do we ring the bank or what?? please can someone give me some advice :confused: thanks

Don't think you have any come back with Laser. Ring the bank anyway to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭BO-JANGLES

Hopefully The Joe Duffy show will talk about this, as they always seem to be able shed some light on this matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭qwytre

message on Facebook from TravelExtra - "1800hotels: Site down, Irish staff awaiting further information, Graham Peakin in Tampa working on plan to allow key supplier to take over the company"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 noonespecial

i know a fair bit, i cant say who i am but heres what i know

if you have paid by credit card, go to your card provider and have them issue a cashback for the money, tell them that 1800 have tanked.

if you have travel insurance you can get your money back that way.

if you paid by cash or debit, there isnt much hope for you, sorry, you will have to take it to a higher authority.

bookings already made, they may not be honoured so look at your voucher where is says "paybale by" and it will say the company that it was bought from, google them and ask them if the booking is still current, its more than likely its been cancelled.

the Irish company e.g. www.1800hotels.ie is no longer trading unofficially, ( they will announce soon if the company goes bankrupt i hope which to be honest they probably will), however at the moment, www.1800hotels.com is trading with limited stock, for now anyway but im not sure how long that will be.

there is no point in going to any of their offices as they are all closed currently.

qwytre wrote: »
    message on Facebook from TravelExtra - "1800hotels: Site down, Irish staff awaiting further information, Graham Peakin in Tampa working on plan to allow key supplier to take over the company"

that hasnt happened, the supplier agreement didnt go through

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Sue Rocks

Terrible when companies do this it was the same when Budget Travel went

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Was going to comment on this thread last night but I can't really say much only that I know of someone who has lost their job with 1800 hotels and the advise that has been relayed to me is not to book with them !

• Registered Users Posts: 18 katcali

bookings already made, they may not be honoured so look at your voucher where is says "paybale by" and it will say the company that it was bought from, google them and ask them if the booking is still current, its more than likely its been cancelled.
    QUOTE]

on our booking it says payable to "Freephone 1800 Hotels Ltd". This prob means were screwed then. Also we have phoned the hotel to check our reservation is still ok and they have no record of the booking at all!!! Its a disaster :( and we booked in April.

• Advertisement

katcali wrote: »
    on our booking it says payable to "Freephone 1800 Hotels Ltd". This prob means were screwed then. Also we have phoned the hotel to check our reservation is still ok and they have no record of the booking at all!!! Its a disaster :( and we booked in April.

look for one of the following company names one your voucher

Tourico
    Hotelbeds
    GTA
    Hotelconnect
    Youtravel
    Travco
    Mark International

anyone who has a booking phone up the supplier directly and check the booking

Advertisement